US singer and actress Whitney Houston dies aged 48

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
This is a personal and familial tragedy and one has to think of those who loved her.

Musically however, she, along with Mariah Carey, pioneered the tactic of never singing one note when you can get away with fifty three and in her case with a bit of fog horn volume chucked in for good measure. She might have to work hard to convince St Pete to let her join the celestial choir.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Not unsurprising really.
Couldn't stand her style of singing/music either, though she had a great voice.
What's tragic here is that somebody so well known, with so many resources at her disposal and so-called 'friends', she's been in terminal meltdown for so long. When you're feeling down and out and you've got troubles on your mind, love will save the day ... Well, it clearly didn't ...

I'm not turning on any 'light music' radio channel for 6 months ....

Manonabike

Über Member
That is very sad. She was an amazing singer and a very good looking woman.

R.I.P Whitney - I will always remember and listen to your recordings

Bluebell72

Only 48. Gosh.
It's a few months since I saw a photo of her in a newspaper and thought then she'd be around 60ish.

If ever was there a reminder to stay away from booze and drugs :sad:

paulw1969

Ridley rider
What a waste of talent.....never bought any of her music....not my scene.....but a waste nevertheless

graham56

Guru
A poor post graham considering the news.
Hi Cookiemonster, sorry to be so insensetive, but dope fiends who top themselves get no sympathy from me. Had she died in an accident then maybe.Anyway i didn't know the woman nor was she related to me so why should i feel for her.I lost a mate in '78, blown to bits by a PIRA car bomb, now there was someone you should have shed tears for.But i doubt if you ever heard of Cpl R. Miller, 42Cdo. So why the **** should i give a toss about some smackhead????

Hi Cookiemonster, sorry to be so insensetive, but dope fiends who top themselves get no sympathy from me. Had she died in an accident then maybe.Anyway i didn't know the woman nor was she related to me so why should i feel for her.I lost a mate in '78, blown to bits by a PIRA car bomb, now there was someone you should have shed tears for.But i doubt if you ever heard of Cpl R. Miller, 42Cdo. So why the **** should i give a toss about some smackhead????

Then why waste the time you have writing the post you have over some 'smackhead'? Why bother with the thread at all?

I never liked her music, Martha Reeves, Aretha Franklin and so many other black female artists spring to mind before her but bless her, really. I was shocked when I realised, not that she was dead, such is the curse of drug addiction, but that she was only 48. What a waste.

RIP.

ASC1951

Guru
Anyway i didn't know the woman nor was she related to me so why should i feel for her.I lost a mate in '78, blown to bits by a PIRA car bomb, now there was someone you should have shed tears for.But i doubt if you ever heard of Cpl R. Miller, 42Cdo. So why the **** should i give a toss about some smackhead????
Alright then, let's look at it in your terms. He signed up for a life based on violence to others, he had it ended by someone with the same views and he didn't matter to anyone apart from his family and friends. She spent her life giving pleasure to millions, she had it ended by an addiction which she started so that she could perform night after night and she will be missed by people all round the world.

So why should we give a toss about some squaddie?

Alright then, let's look at it in your terms. He signed up for a life based on violence to others, he had it ended by someone with the same views and he didn't matter to anyone apart from his family and friends. She spent her life giving pleasure to millions, she had it ended by an addiction which she started so that she could perform night after night and she will be missed by people all round the world.

So why should we give a toss about some squaddie?

If you really mean that last comment, shame on you.

400bhp

Guru
Stuff like this makes you think.

She had everything, could still have everything, but everything wasn't enough. A sad day for humanity (probably).

Top Bottom