US singer and actress Whitney Houston dies aged 48

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ah the ubiquitous posthumous No.1 CD of her greatest hit will be out soon.

5117.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
well, it's not all bad news. Sony raised the price of her music on iTunes! Capitalism at its finest.
Ah the ubiquitous posthumous No.1 CD of her greatest hit will be out soon.
"The Ultimate Collection" is already at number 1 in the Amazon listings and number 4 at Play.com!

thom

____
Musically however, she, along with Mariah Carey, pioneered the tactic of never singing one note when you can get away with fifty three and in her case with a bit of fog horn volume chucked in for good measure. She might have to work hard to convince St Pete to let her join the celestial choir.

I have to disagree with your opinion on her voice because we were specifically making the opposite argument about her recently.
As it happened we were comparing various renditions of the Star Spangled Banner at the Super Bowl a week ago and Whitney nailed it on a couple of occasions. Then she died at the weekend.

In one she sang what many consider the best version of this anthem and she sang wearing a tracksuit of all things.

What was notable was it's simpicity, the comparative lack of histrionic embillishment, the lack of self indulgent extraneous notes, the soul in her voice and the power which was absent from Mariah, Xtina or Beyonce.

Truely majestic and an antidote to the current pop divas.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Fair enough but that was one song and the greater part of her output routinely involved dragging one syllable up and down all the notes in a scale or two at least three times. Personally, I found her fairly unlistenable which is a bit of a shame as I strongly suspect she could have been a decent blues singer, had she wanted.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
"The Ultimate Collection" is already at number 1 in the Amazon listings and number 4 at Play.com!
Why do people go on these spending sprees at such times? If you liked it that much you'd already have it and if you haven't bought it in the past because you didn't like it that much why buy it now?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Why do people go on these spending sprees at such times? If you liked it that much you'd already have it and if you haven't bought it in the past because you didn't like it that much why buy it now?
My reaction, exactly!

Kind of like my reaction when somebody tried to get me to a school reunion, 25 years after we'd left - if I'd liked any of the other people enough to want to meet them again, I'd have made an effort to keep in touch with them in the first place ...

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Baffling, isn't it?

Fair enough but that was one song and the greater part of her output routinely involved dragging one syllable up and down all the notes in a scale or two at least three times. Personally, I found her fairly unlistenable which is a bit of a shame as I strongly suspect she could have been a decent blues singer, had she wanted.

I have to agree with you, I think she could have been an excellent blues singer...

Top Bottom