Usb cable for Garmin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Keep losing Garmin lead. Find the occasional old usb lead but they never seem to work. Can I buy a geeneric replacement from somewhere like Wilko?

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
You just need a mini USB type A lead, I think.

broady

Veteran
With the software update last November (ish) ment I had to use a genuine Garmin cable or the computer wouldn't recognise it at all. I put a link up in the bargain section to a set at halfords for a fiver (down from £20). The individual leads are a tenner each on their own.

broady

Veteran
My problems were with the 1000 & 1000 explorer. My 200 isn't fussy at all and is happy with any mini USB cable.
The 1000's would charge fine, just wouldn't talk to the computer

Depends on the lead type, although the leads are the same format, they have different "pins" activated

Some leads have the data pins active and others don't

Basically if you try and charge or power with a data lead, it will push the Garmin into "Mass Storage mode", and whilst it will charge, it will not be usable

Equally if you use a non-data lead then the unit will charge fine, but not transfer data

keithmac

Guru
Yep, the micro usb leads you get with phone chargers only have 2 pins wired.

Bit daft really having to go through multiple leads to find a fully wired one.

Yep, the micro usb leads you get with phone chargers only have 2 pins wired.

Bit daft really having to go through multiple leads to find a fully wired one.

I can understand it, on long days I used to extend the 810's life with a "phone backup battery"

This needed the power only version.

What I did was buy two slightly different leads. One had an extra small square "collar" at the Garmin end that enabled me to distinguish the two

Top Bottom