Usb ID Bands-Any Paramedics Out There?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I use this.

You can use it to list any details and can phone next of kin contacts directly from the front screen
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.winknudge.rideid&hl=en_GB
or https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ride-id/id548626479?mt=8

Free and very useful

C
Along similar lines
ICE- on android phones go to 'Settings' - 'Security' , then 'owner info' . Add ICE number and name and it will scroll across your locked screen.

Technology has its place, but in ID for Paramedics it is not appropriate

IF the fragile device remains intact
IF the device remains with the individual
IF you have the technology to read the data,
IF the data is not passworded or protected
IF there is time to search for such a device

A simple ID band or medical necklace has none of these issues

BigAl68

Über Member
They wouldn't work on any hospital system as previously stated. I am a clinical data manager at the Bristol heart institute and not a single computer in our trust would regongnise the USB stick so rendering in useless.

classic33

Leg End Member
They wouldn't work on any hospital system as previously stated. I am a clinical data manager at the Bristol heart institute and not a single computer in our trust would regongnise the USB stick so rendering in useless.
How would that work with a hospital issued one?

classic33

Leg End Member
All USB sticks are issued pre loaded with encryption software and require a password when pushed into a USB port. Then they can be accessed
Asked only because I was at one stage "visiting" various local A&E's, not always able to give an answer and that was one solution offered.

BigAl68

Über Member
I would be pretty sure every trust will use a similar process and every trust will use a piece of software as chosen my their IT management team. It would surprise me if their was a common standard across any trusts as it has differed at every trust I have worked at.

the_mikey

Legendary Member

This was my experience at Warwickshire.

Hospital USB sticks will be encrypted and password protected and the computer registry will be configured only to recognise this or other pre-authorised devices.

Absoultely

I have staff who require to copy images (fully anonymised) for use in presentations, audits, or student portfolio / case studies

They all use specifically logged data sticks that are passworded

They also make sure they know that password as three erroneous attempts wipes the stick!

I would be pretty sure every trust will use a similar process and every trust will use a piece of software as chosen my their IT management team. It would surprise me if their was a common standard across any trusts as it has differed at every trust I have worked at.

Yes and no..... It depends on the system

The software we have is built into the stick, so it can be used on any computer (at home / education centre etc) however there is an additional level where the sticks themselves have to be recognised bythe network prior to activating on a Trust computer

Basically there would have to be a standalone, non-networked and single use terminal or laptop for this to work

U

User33236

My trust locked down the ports on all its PCs (including USB) a few years ago.

Due to the nature of the work we do (one of those 'unknown' non-patient facing departments) we had to work very closely with our IT department in ensuring the large volume of connected devices would still function. In the end we got exemption from the lock how in exchange for allowing port monitoring software to be installed.

We are the exception rather than the rule but, even though we can, would still not connect an unknown device to our systems.

Top Bottom