Usb ID Bands-Any Paramedics Out There?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Thanks for the clarification - though I am correct about them not taking notice of whats written on tags. (as told to me by a paramedic)
You're correct. We'd never give blood based on information written down or even if the patient was conscious and telling you their blood group.
Alway take blood from patient to check before giving group specific, the risks are too great.

I use a medic alert sports band,they come in dog tags as well plus various other bits of jewellery. It has my allergies and relevant medical info on it (like I'm allergic to non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs such as aspirin and ibuprofen and am steroid dependant). It has a free phone number for medical staff to ring and quote my membership number. They have all the relevant details to contact my family, doctors and hospital consultants plus how to treat the less common conditions that can kill me in minutes but that general medical staff even in A&e would not normally come across.

Thankfully the only time I use this information is when I get fed up of listing the medication I am on. The service comes with a printed card I keep in my wallet. :biggrin:

Colin S

Über Member
Along similar lines
ICE- on android phones go to 'Settings' - 'Security' , then 'owner info' . Add ICE number and name and it will scroll across your locked screen.
Mine doesn't seem to have that feature. What version is this available in?

C

I just have my OH's number as my ICE on the lock screen on my mobile phone.

This doeswork, but again - ignore the apps and special programmes

If you want this route, use a standard drawing or text programme and enter details.
Save as "JPG" format in your photos and make this photo your screen saver and lock screen - sorted

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Our NHS Trust would be able to read USB sticks, but not write to them unless trust-approved devices.

daibok

Hi

I am the web developer at https://www.bcon.cc where we offer an ICE service using QR tags.( We also recently did a road tax disc replacement)

When developing this idea we went to the NHS Hack day in Cardiff (this is the health service in Wales, UK), we - A&E Nurses, Doctors and other Health Care professionals - explored considered a number of scenarios, and technologies that could provide solutions. Sometimes the simplest solutions are best. Being a techie, personally would not use a USB device, as many institutions consider USB drives as well as data CDs a security risk. I'd prefer a simple and more accessible solution.

At the moment we are actively engaging with health care providers, A&E departments and ambulance services as well as charities, such as St Johns to make people more aware of what we are trying to do. as well as others like us.

You can read about what we did here, http://www.webdevbros.net/2014/02/20/cardiff-nhs-hack-day-or-weekend-and-bcon-cc/

to all of those with dog tags, do you were them round your neck whilst riding and general everyday living? i have been thinking of getting a pair for a while but think a ball chain would be uncomfortable often? maybe i should try some leather thong (thin leather strip) as i'm a leather worker and i have a leather working mate who does lots of braiding so has miles of thong lying about, or some paracord?
Cheers Ed
I wear a dogtag 24/7 (including sleeping in it) with the ball chain and it doesn't bother me. Plenty available via ebay.
I wouldn't wear leather braid / paracord around my neck unless it included some sort of breakaway type clasp or weak link - I work with rotating machinery and don't really fancy being dragged into it. The ball chain clasp will probably take a good yank to break it, but I could break it. No chance of doing that with a knotted paracord.

BTW the hole in the dogtag is probably a bit small for paracord anyway.

young Ed

Veteran
I wear a dogtag 24/7 (including sleeping in it) with the ball chain and it doesn't bother me. Plenty available via ebay.
I wouldn't wear leather braid / paracord around my neck unless it included some sort of breakaway type clasp or weak link - I work with rotating machinery and don't really fancy being dragged into it. The ball chain clasp will probably take a good yank to break it, but I could break it. No chance of doing that with a knotted paracord.

BTW the hole in the dogtag is probably a bit small for paracord anyway.
thanks for that!
will probably order a custom engraved dog tag soon then
i too work with rotating machinery such as lathes, pillar and hand drills and tractors missing the odd gaurd here and there :whistle: along with plenty else so now you say it paracord seems like a death wish and leather thong with a quick release type clasp that you just pull would end up accidentally being ripped of being caught on a branch or something else
Cheers Ed

Sara_H

Guru
This doeswork, but again - ignore the apps and special programmes

If you want this route, use a standard drawing or text programme and enter details.
Save as "JPG" format in your photos and make this photo your screen saver and lock screen - sorted
Thats what I did, just edited a photo of myself with OH to add a banner with text across the photo, then in my phone settings selected it as my lock screen photo.
I did it all on my iphone using an iphone photo editing app.

young Ed

Veteran
my concerns if using a phone to hold/display personal info is that even if you always have it on you it could run out of battery. but my main concern is that people wouldn't check your phone in the case of an emergency or accident, i have only attended one crash (car crash) in my life so far and i certainly didn't go straight for the drivers phone but i did check the driver out to see she was in a medically stable condition as far as i could see and if i would have come across a dog tag or arm band i would have taken a glance at it to see if it was of relevance.
but if it were to be a usb armband i wasn't carrying a computer at the time and even if i was i wouldn't have bothered taking it out, booting it up and then plugging in this usb to find it doesn't work or it is just her work files or something
Cheers Ed

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
i too work with rotating machinery such as lathes, pillar and hand drills and tractors missing the odd gaurd here and there :whistle: along with plenty else so now you say it paracord seems like a death wish and leather thong with a quick release type clasp that you just pull would end up accidentally being ripped of being caught on a branch or something else
I worked in a factory pre-uni and I saw someone get his arm pulled into a giant mangle-like machine. He was cleaning its pair of glue-covered rollers by holding a wire brush against them while they rotated ...:eek: We managed to kill the power and separate the rollers before his arm got pulled off, but it was terrifying to witness! The lucky guy got away with heavy bruising and friction burns.

woohoo

Veteran
Dog tag for me. Instant access and I'm told by a couple of ambulance guys I know that is something they look for. Mind you, they also said that they don't act on the info but do make sure that A&E get the details on arrival.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Dog tag for me. Instant access and I'm told by a couple of ambulance guys I know that is something they look for. Mind you, they also said that they don't act on the info but do make sure that A&E get the details on arrival.
When I got rushed into hospital, the paramedics asked me questions and did tests before we even drove off. When I got to A&E, the staff there asked the same questions and did the same tests. Later that evening the consultant came round and asked me the questions for a 3rd time and ordered the same tests to be done again!

Top Bottom