Usb ID Bands-Any Paramedics Out There?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not knocking Paramedics....

However with little equipment and no access to a lot of the experience, skill and knowledge available in the Hospital it will always be a case of a limited response to preserve the patient long enough toget them to A and E

Not knocking Paramedics....

However with little equipment and no access to a lot of the experience, skill and knowledge available in the Hospital it will always be a case of a limited response to preserve the patient long enough toget them to A and E
And keeping some patients alive to get them to hospital could rely on reading something like a medical alert bracelet when they are allergic to the most common anti-inflamatory drugs!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
my concerns if using a phone to hold/display personal info is that even if you always have it on you it could run out of battery. but my main concern is that people wouldn't check your phone in the case of an emergency or accident, i have only attended one crash (car crash) in my life so far and i certainly didn't go straight for the drivers phone but i did check the driver out to see she was in a medically stable condition as far as i could see and if i would have come across a dog tag or arm band i would have taken a glance at it to see if it was of relevance.
but if it were to be a usb armband i wasn't carrying a computer at the time and even if i was i wouldn't have bothered taking it out, booting it up and then plugging in this usb to find it doesn't work or it is just her work files or something
Cheers Ed
They're not aimed at Good Samaritans but medical staff.

young Ed

Veteran
They're not aimed at Good Samaritans but medical staff.
not certain but i don't think paramedics carry a proper computer with usb on the ambulance and as other people have stated they wouldn't plug it in due to security issues and as for the phone i also doubt but again am not certain that most paramedics wouldn't go straight for the patients phone
Cheers Ed

I'm not a paramedic but I have worked for Warwickshire NHS trust and their IT policy actively prevents any use of USB sticks (or any unauthorised device) for security reasons. I believe other NHS trusts have similar policies.
'Ditto' the Trust I work for; 'Mid Yorkshire' (comprising; Pinderfields General Hospital, Pontefract General Infirmary & Dewsbury District Hospital)

I'd also guess it's the same for our local Yellow Taxis (Yorkshire Ambulance Service), plus the 'Yorkshire Air Ambulance'??

All I have are a pair of the old fashioned "dog tags" which have name d.o.b. and a phone number plus my hospital number,which so I am told should be enough info for ambulance/a&e staff to be able to find out just who they have if I was unable to talk

I have a pair of these, for when I'm out on the bike, or running (mainly when running XC/trail, or during Fell-Races. Places where I have more chance of injury)
http://www.armydogtags.co.uk/ (I have the - 2 - 'Classic Military', with silencers)
They're good quality, being very well-stamped - raised lettering
Mine were stamped with, besides my name
- Home phone
- WIfes mobile
- Parents number
- NHS number (different to a 'Hospital Number', & nationally recognised)
- 'Organ Donor'
- 'NKA' (no Known Allergies)

There is a downside, the 'ball-chains' do lose their coating after a while, & can discolour white/pale-coloured t-shirts

However, 24/7, I wear a 'SOS Talisman' necklace

http://www.sostalisman.co.uk/

Ern1e

Über Member
I did change the "ball chain" on mine for a more neck hair friendly leather clog lace @Richard A Thackeray lol must be getting soft in my old age lol. I used the hospital number because I had that to hand when I ordered them from the same place as you have and also with the silencers.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
not certain but i don't think paramedics carry a proper computer with usb on the ambulance and as other people have stated they wouldn't plug it in due to security issues and as for the phone i also doubt but again am not certain that most paramedics wouldn't go straight for the patients phone
Cheers Ed
Ed, I know. I meant ID tags / cards in general.

Christopher

Über Member
Great thread! I have a set of dog tags with blood group, name and NI number. As none of that is of any real use to the emergency services and I don't have any known allergies, I will destroy them when they turn up again. Oh, not being sarcastic, I did have a feeling that they weren't of any use to me (be different if had nasty allergies).

Great thread! I have a set of dog tags with blood group, name and NI number. As none of that is of any real use to the emergency services and I don't have any known allergies, I will destroy them when they turn up again. Oh, not being sarcastic, I did have a feeling that they weren't of any use to me (be different if had nasty allergies).
If you are unconscious it may just help with ID afterwards so family members could be contacted. I for one rarely carry my wallet with me just a £10 note.

In which case if you're ever found unconscious people will assume you're the Queen!
I'm hoping they will have the sense to use my medic alert bracelet which states my medical conditions and allergies and gives medical staff the ability to get the rest of my medical details with a phone call. It does not give them my name just what they need to know to save my life and not kill me with my allergy to a common painkiller and anti-inflamatory. And as I understand I it, medical s staff are trained to look for these bracelets as are first aiders (if they remember their training). Plus the one and only time I have passed out at the side of a bridleway, no one came passed during that period!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Plus the one and only time I have passed out at the side of a bridleway, no one came passed during that period!
Scary!

I felt ill on a ride round Mull in September (I think it was probably a mild dose of food poisoning because I had a really dodgy digestive system for 2 days and then felt fine). Anyway, I couldn't face much of the food that I had with me and could barely drink either. As a result, I started collapsing every 40 minutes or so. All I could do each time was lie down at the roadside, sip a little water, nibble a square of chocolate and wait for some strength to come back.

What surprised me was the number of motorists who stopped to see if I was ok - I'm fairly sure that would not happen round here!

I'm a registered HCP and I can't even use my own memory stick at work unless I put in a request to the hospitals IT department to get it encrypted.

I have also responded as a community first responder (which I had to morally stop doing) for my local ambo trust.

The few unconscious Pts I helped with the paras, they would not even search a patients clothing for any ID or phone etc as they said t could be seen by the patient or others as theft or assault.
They did not want to take the risk of it being taken the wrong way. This was the reason I was given when I asked the para if they wanted to check the patients identity.

Top Bottom