Use of electric bikes by younger people.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
disclaimer: I realise that there are many legitimate reasons for having an electric bike (e.g. disability), and ultimately people can ride/driver whichever vehicle they want.

<Rant>
Why do I see so many young people travelling around on electric scooters/bikes? They have all that energy, why do they need electricity to help them.

A lady at my work got an electric scooter. After about 1 month she stopped using it. I asked her why? She said, "it is ok in the summer but in the autumn/winter you get cold standing on the platform since you are not moving". She has not used it since. I never get cold. In the winter I just put on more layers for insulation and since I am moving that keeps me warm too.

I am 54 and I travel by pushbike wherever possible. I love the simplicity of a traditional bike: no taxes, no fuel, simple mechanics. I love the fact that I get exercise doing something I enjoy. I love the endorphin rush when I stop and sit down after a long ride.

I do not understand the obsession with electric bikes. Granted, it is a bit easier to pedal but the bikes weigh a ton due to effectively carrying a car battery with you all over the place. In a few months years there will be the inevitable maintenance/electrical issue with the bikes and most will not get fixed either for economical or knowledge reasons. There are so many different incompatible brands. Perhaps when the market inevitably shrinks a standard will be established which will reduce the cost of maintenance.

A reasonably well maintained bike (e.g. oil the chain, pump up tyres, mend the odd puncture etc.) lasts ages before needing a service. When you get home you just put in in the shed. You do not need to recharge the battery.

Maybe it's just me but I have always preferred traditional non-electric bikes. So much simpler ...
</Rant>
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u1.jpg

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Wow! Where to start with that.......
Perhaps this bit....
They have all that energy,
Maybe they don't, that's the point, basically.

CXRAndy

Guru
There are plenty of reasons to use an Ebike

Here are just a few

fun

Young rider new to cycling, finds it tough on hills,

Young person has long commute would tire out

I know a woman who can ride 100 miles with 10,000 ft ascent who uses an electric bike to go to work- so she arrives without sweating:okay:

I built a bike for my wife, she struggles for pace and it's demoralising for her. Now I have to draft her on inclines and headwinds. We go out for 20 mile rides often now

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
There are plenty of reasons to use an Ebike

Here are just a few

fun

Young rider new to cycling, finds it tough on hills,

Young person has long commute would tire out

I know a woman who can ride 100 miles with 10,000 ft ascent who uses an electric bike to go to work- so she arrives without sweating:okay:

Fun is not allowed...

rivers

How far can I go?
My wife is a full time fitness instructor (teaches 16+ classes/week). So she is a pretty fit and healthy 30 something as far as most people would be concerned. But she also has an electric bike. Her muscles are so fatigued from teaching, but she still wants to be able to ride a bike. She uses it for commuting, and for joining me on days out. Something she wouldn't be able to do without the electric assistance. And sometimes I use it for commuting when my legs need a break. You don't like electric bikes, fine. But don't begrudge people who use them.

vickster

Legendary Member
disclaimer: I realise that there are many legitimate reasons for having an electric bike (e.g. disability), and ultimately people can ride/driver whichever vehicle they want.

<Rant>
Why do I see so many young people travelling around on electric scooters/bikes? They have all that energy, why do they need electricity to help them.

A lady at my work got an electric scooter. After about 1 month she stopped using it. I asked her why? She said, "it is ok in the summer but in the autumn/winter you get cold standing on the platform since you are not moving". She has not used it since. I never get cold. In the winter I just put on more layers for insulation and since I am moving that keeps me warm too.

I am 54 and I travel by pushbike wherever possible. I love the simplicity of a traditional bike: no taxes, no fuel, simple mechanics. I love the fact that I get exercise doing something I enjoy. I love the endorphin rush when I stop and sit down after a long ride.

I do not understand the obsession with electric bikes. Granted, it is a bit easier to pedal but the bikes weigh a ton due to effectively carrying a car battery with you all over the place. In a few months years there will be the inevitable maintenance/electrical issue with the bikes and most will not get fixed either for economical or knowledge reasons. There are so many different incompatible brands. Perhaps when the market inevitably shrinks a standard will be established which will reduce the cost of maintenance.

A reasonably well maintained bike (e.g. oil the chain, pump up tyres, mend the odd puncture etc.) lasts ages before needing a service. When you get home you just put in in the shed. You do not need to recharge the battery.

Maybe it's just me but I have always preferred traditional non-electric bikes. So much simpler ...
</Rant>
View attachment 516336
Why does it actually matter to you? The maintenance of someone else’s bike isn’t your problem (any more than the maintenance of my non e-bikes are your problem)

No issue here as long as they are being used legally (ie scooters not on roads or pavements) and safely

gbb

Legendary Member
I dont see many / any kids / young people on electric bikes..meh, perhaps once.
Scooters ?, the reason is simple, speed and excitement...and just because you can.
Most humans I suspect are lazy by nature, not consciously but life has lots of temptation now, lots of toys, it's no wonder kids like them.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I am old enough to be start thinking about the "What ifs" of my health, and cycling is included in that. As long as I am physically able, I am pretty sure I will continue to cycle (weather permitting!). However, who knows what is around the corner. I already have a dodgy left hip as a result of a cycling on ice accident. If it causes me pain in the future, an e-bike might be the perfect solution for keeping me on a bike.

Top Bottom