Use of electric bikes by younger people.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If you consider the “e” in e-bike really stands for enabling then you’ll understand the appeal better.

I think @overmind is making the point that most of the people who ride them, especially those small wheel scooter contraptions that are not even bikes of any sort, don't need to be "enabled" in order to get around.
Most of them are a lot younger than me, and in theory ought to be a lot fitter than me. I managed to propel myself and an old steel bike around for 20 miles this morning, and will do some more miles in a minute. If we can do it, youngsters can do it instead of being lazy!

boydj

Legendary Member
For many years I've been going out on club rides and always enjoy doing so. However, last year I found that the group was having to wait for me after any reasonable hill and I started to avoid the runs on hilly routes so as not to be a drag on the group. Now that I've turned 70 my next purchase, probably in the near future, will be an electric road bike which will let me stay with the group on the hills and let me get back to taking my turn on the front again, rather than hiding in the shelter of the pack. It should let me get out on the longer runs too, using the motor sparingly, hopefully.

E-bikes are a boon for people who enjoy cycling, but whose capacity is no longer what it was. And if they provide a route into cycling for younger people, so much the better.

dodgy

disclaimer: I realise that there are many legitimate reasons for having an electric bike (e.g. disability), and ultimately people can ride/driver whichever vehicle they want.

<Rant>
Why do I see so many young people travelling around on electric scooters/bikes? They have all that energy, why do they need electricity to help them.

-snip-

Do you have a washing machine?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't worry, the manufacturers will build obsolescence in so when those bikes and scooters wear out or the batteries die, getting spares will overcome most people's energy and resources and the things will end up rusting in garden sheds.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've toyed with buying one or more likely, building one of my many existing bikes into one as I like to experiment.

I'm fit enough, cycled 5,000 miles last year, a good bit of loaded touring thrown in, most of it was actually on a hefty 90s MTB, I don't need one per se, I don't shy away from hills or putting a bit of effort into things.

The reason I'd be interested in one is simply because it's extremely hilly in this town and if I do utility riding I will arrive at my destination drenched in sweat even if it's only a few miles. An ebike would surely make utility cycling more practical as I wouldn't have to walk up hills to avoid sweating or to arrive early to freshen up or stand outside until I stop sweating.

dodgy

I'll be honest, I'm a lifelong rider, now settled at about 6000 miles per year, much higher in my relative yoof :laugh: I ride in the French Alps every July (maybe not this July 🤷‍♂️) so I'm probably fitter than the average 54 year old, but I bought an ebike as they're just great fun, I don't need to justify it to anyone. If you see me on my ebike today and think of me a cheat, yesterday I might have cranked 150 miles out in N.Wales on my road bike.

Get over it 🤷‍♂️:laugh:

Edit to add, there's a problem looming, we've all seen lads on EMtbs riding along at 25+ mph whilst soft pedalling. One day the cops will have to get a grip of that.

Bleedin' kids! Clear orff the lottayou ( but not on electric bikes...obvs)

D

Deleted member 26715

There appears to be 2 arguments going on here, the old chestnut about "I'm too fit for an e-bike" & the other more important one which seems to have fallen by the wayside of the anti-cheating brigade & that is the illegal electric scooter use, they are not legal in the UK to be used on either the road or the footpath.

Milzy

Guru
disclaimer: I realise that there are many legitimate reasons for having an electric bike (e.g. disability), and ultimately people can ride/driver whichever vehicle they want.

<Rant>
Why do I see so many young people travelling around on electric scooters/bikes? They have all that energy, why do they need electricity to help them.

A lady at my work got an electric scooter. After about 1 month she stopped using it. I asked her why? She said, "it is ok in the summer but in the autumn/winter you get cold standing on the platform since you are not moving". She has not used it since. I never get cold. In the winter I just put on more layers for insulation and since I am moving that keeps me warm too.

I am 54 and I travel by pushbike wherever possible. I love the simplicity of a traditional bike: no taxes, no fuel, simple mechanics. I love the fact that I get exercise doing something I enjoy. I love the endorphin rush when I stop and sit down after a long ride.

I do not understand the obsession with electric bikes. Granted, it is a bit easier to pedal but the bikes weigh a ton due to effectively carrying a car battery with you all over the place. In a few months years there will be the inevitable maintenance/electrical issue with the bikes and most will not get fixed either for economical or knowledge reasons. There are so many different incompatible brands. Perhaps when the market inevitably shrinks a standard will be established which will reduce the cost of maintenance.

A reasonably well maintained bike (e.g. oil the chain, pump up tyres, mend the odd puncture etc.) lasts ages before needing a service. When you get home you just put in in the shed. You do not need to recharge the battery.

Maybe it's just me but I have always preferred traditional non-electric bikes. So much simpler ...
</Rant>
View attachment 516336
I love your rant because I whole heartedly agree. I've seen this too. Fat lads in their 30's going to work on leccy scooters that can easily reach 40mph+.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I think @overmind is making the point that most of the people who ride them, especially those small wheel scooter contraptions that are not even bikes of any sort, don't need to be "enabled" in order to get around.
Most of them are a lot younger than me, and in theory ought to be a lot fitter than me. I managed to propel myself and an old steel bike around for 20 miles this morning, and will do some more miles in a minute. If we can do it, youngsters can do it instead of being lazy!

I addressed a specific concern of the OP. Re-read my post to see the part of his rant that I quoted.

Secondly, youth is not a guarantee of fitness or mobility level.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I love your rant because I whole heartedly agree. I've seen this too. Fat lads in their 30's going to work on leccy scooters that can easily reach 40mph+.
I know. All them adults making choices and facing consequences. What a frightening world... :wacko:

Top Bottom