Use of electric bikes by younger people.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
IMO it’s because people’s health conscience/environmental awareness changes over time. I am a Prime example myself as follows:

20 years ago e-bikes were not as widely available as they are now. I turned 16 I got a moped, turned 17 got a motorcycle, turned 17.5 and got a car. Simply because I could. I worked through each summer holiday to fund them. Most other students did the same. The college was just about commutable by push bike but it was easier and quicker to motorcycle or drive. What would have been the point in the summer job if I didn’t buy the vehicles. I didn’t give a toss about the environment, the speed limits or my health so I didn’t see the need to cycle. Just like I didn’t see the need to quit smoking or drinking.

Now, 20 years later, I have matured and I do give a toss about those things. I am 100 times as wealthy now with a car 10 times the value but I decide to cycle and leave the car at home. Just like I stopped smoking and drinking many years ago.

In conclusion I share the same opinion as the OP but you can’t plant a 37 year olds conciencious mindset into a 17 year old.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As the OP says there are many legitimate reasons for having a (legal) electric bike. Here's one:

1) You want one.

Whether someone is capable of riding a push bike or not is pretty much irrelevant.

I can see how frustrating it must be for the OP that people at large don't comply with his views on how the world should be, but hey, life sucks.

Crankarm

Guru
disclaimer: I realise that there are many legitimate reasons for having an electric bike (e.g. disability), and ultimately people can ride/driver whichever vehicle they want.

<Rant>
Why do I see so many young people travelling around on electric scooters/bikes? They have all that energy, why do they need electricity to help them.

A lady at my work got an electric scooter. After about 1 month she stopped using it. I asked her why? She said, "it is ok in the summer but in the autumn/winter you get cold standing on the platform since you are not moving". She has not used it since. I never get cold. In the winter I just put on more layers for insulation and since I am moving that keeps me warm too.

I am 54 and I travel by pushbike wherever possible. I love the simplicity of a traditional bike: no taxes, no fuel, simple mechanics. I love the fact that I get exercise doing something I enjoy. I love the endorphin rush when I stop and sit down after a long ride.

I do not understand the obsession with electric bikes. Granted, it is a bit easier to pedal but the bikes weigh a ton due to effectively carrying a car battery with you all over the place. In a few months years there will be the inevitable maintenance/electrical issue with the bikes and most will not get fixed either for economical or knowledge reasons. There are so many different incompatible brands. Perhaps when the market inevitably shrinks a standard will be established which will reduce the cost of maintenance.

A reasonably well maintained bike (e.g. oil the chain, pump up tyres, mend the odd puncture etc.) lasts ages before needing a service. When you get home you just put in in the shed. You do not need to recharge the battery.

Maybe it's just me but I have always preferred traditional non-electric bikes. So much simpler ...
</Rant>
View attachment 516336

Careful. Upset the E-bike Mafia and you'll get banned.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Apparently young folk have been seen lazing on couches. How very dare they!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Here’s my take on the situation...

overmind makes a post about Ebikes, creates an argument that isn’t required and doesn’t post on the thread after original argument/rant/post is made.....

therefore it doesn’t require my answer of why....

disclaimer: I realise that there are many legitimate reasons for having an electric bike (e.g. disability), and ultimately people can ride/driver whichever vehicle they want.

<Rant>
Why do I see so many young people travelling around on electric scooters/bikes? They have all that energy, why do they need electricity to help them.

A lady at my work got an electric scooter. After about 1 month she stopped using it. I asked her why? She said, "it is ok in the summer but in the autumn/winter you get cold standing on the platform since you are not moving". She has not used it since. I never get cold. In the winter I just put on more layers for insulation and since I am moving that keeps me warm too.

I am 54 and I travel by pushbike wherever possible. I love the simplicity of a traditional bike: no taxes, no fuel, simple mechanics. I love the fact that I get exercise doing something I enjoy. I love the endorphin rush when I stop and sit down after a long ride.

I do not understand the obsession with electric bikes. Granted, it is a bit easier to pedal but the bikes weigh a ton due to effectively carrying a car battery with you all over the place. In a few months years there will be the inevitable maintenance/electrical issue with the bikes and most will not get fixed either for economical or knowledge reasons. There are so many different incompatible brands. Perhaps when the market inevitably shrinks a standard will be established which will reduce the cost of maintenance.

A reasonably well maintained bike (e.g. oil the chain, pump up tyres, mend the odd puncture etc.) lasts ages before needing a service. When you get home you just put in in the shed. You do not need to recharge the battery.

Maybe it's just me but I have always preferred traditional non-electric bikes. So much simpler ...
</Rant>
View attachment 516336
Who cares; I prefer a human powered bike but I'd far rather a younger person was on an electric bike rather than in a car :okay:

OP
OP
overmind

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Thanks for the replies everybody. Thanks to the moderator too for toning down my inflammatory title.

I liked this comment.

IMO it’s because people’s health conscience/environmental awareness changes over time. I am a Prime example myself as follows:

20 years ago e-bikes were not as widely available as they are now. I turned 16 I got a moped, turned 17 got a motorcycle, turned 17.5 and got a car. Simply because I could. I worked through each summer holiday to fund them. Most other students did the same. The college was just about commutable by push bike but it was easier and quicker to motorcycle or drive. What would have been the point in the summer job if I didn’t buy the vehicles. I didn’t give a toss about the environment, the speed limits or my health so I didn’t see the need to cycle. Just like I didn’t see the need to quit smoking or drinking.

Now, 20 years later, I have matured and I do give a toss about those things. I am 100 times as wealthy now with a car 10 times the value but I decide to cycle and leave the car at home. Just like I stopped smoking and drinking many years ago.

In conclusion I share the same opinion as the OP but you can’t plant a 37 year olds conciencious mindset into a 17 year old.

It was just a rant. It's just my opinion of course. For me, e-bikes are not value for money but that's just me.

I enjoyed all the responses. Thanks.

Top Bottom