Use of electric bikes by younger people.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh, if I could quote the original - I read it, then decided not to say anything.

Some folk don't want to arrive at their destination 'glowing' - so this helps. A colleague used to cycle in about the same distance as I did but didn't do it every day. His car park pass wasn't renewed so bought an ebike, so he can ride every day. I was doing 26 plus miles a day, that's quite alot to many folk.

I have a colleague who is a keen cyclist, active, but takes an adult scooter with her on the commute via train. Saves her a 25 minute walk to the office, but she's active, and gets changed. Many folk don't want that faff of getting into two sets of clothes.

eMTB's folk say they get them to cover twice the distance - that's OK if it's you, or you and mates with eMTB's. I know of someone who got rid of his eMTB as he was having to wait for eveyone at the top of hills. I regularly ride with an older chap who has an eMTB (late 60's). It allows him to keep up with us that are fitter. Yes, he is a bit quicker up a tricky descent, but not so much on a drag, where a fit rider can put power in. He's no faster downhill, but he can come out, otherwise he'd not be able to.

PS full suspension MTB's (and hard tails), assisted or not, are not for folk shy of doing maintenance. They need constant cleaning and maintaining due to the conditions used in.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
How about the reason they have one is because they want one an and they can afford it.

It really doesn't matter if you can see the point or not. You ride an ordinary bike because you want to. Others have a scooter, or an ebike, or a trike or a bent. Each to his or her own. Aa far as I am concerned, as long as they are getting out in the fresh air, who gives a stuff. And it isn't cheating.

Ebikes are getting people out and about and doing exercise. However they do it doesn't matter.

D

Deleted member 26715

I still find this "Oh when I'm old" mindset very funny, I suspect perpetrated by people who have never ridden an e-bike

gbb

Legendary Member
disclaimer: I realise that there are many legitimate reasons for having an electric bike (e.g. disability), and ultimately people can ride/driver whichever vehicle they want.

<Rant>
Why do I see so many young people travelling around on electric scooters/bikes? They have all that energy, why do they need electricity to help them.

:angry:

I am 54 and I travel by pushbike wherever possible. I love the simplicity of a traditional bike: no taxes, no fuel, simple mechanics. I love the fact that I get exercise doing something I enjoy. I love the endorphin rush when I stop and sit down after a long ride.

</Rant>
View attachment 516336
You have to think about your position in life, not dissimilar to mine at 50. All the drive and energy in the world, immense pleasure from cycling, long long rides, sweating like a pig and grinning while you're doing it...you have to remember, (in a nice way) its us that are odd, not 'them'.
Most people aren't interested in fitness, how far they can ride, how fast they can go, a bike is simply a mode of transport that allows them to get out and about and enjoy a ride...without all the pain the pain and sweat that got 'us' where we are. What we enjoy, they do not, simple.

Smudge

Veteran
I often think if i were younger, fitter and never had any health issues.... then i wouldn't have an ebike at all and would just stick to unassisted bicycles.
But then i remember back to when i actually was younger, fitter and never had any health issues...... i didn't only ride unassisted bicycles, i rode motorcycles as well.

In my bike shop, I've sold a number of electric bikes, and I'd say in the majority of cases, it's specifically to allow the owners to carry on cycling, where they're not able to ride a conventional bike as much as they want to. So for some, it's to allow them to go out for longer rides with their partner, for others it's because they physically don't have the strength for the regular commute, and for some, it's simply because at the end of a long day, they just can't face the strong headwind along the sea front.

It's not cheating - it's cycling with a bit of electric assistance.

They're still pedalling, and they're not in a car. That's the important thing.

fossyant

You have to think about your position in life, not dissimilar to mine at 50.

its us that are odd, not 'them'.

This in spades. We are odd. A colleague of mine, who I sit next to at work, said 'wow you've been riding 16 miles most days since lockdown' - this is off road so I've not mentioned that it's harder. She's 30, slim etc etc, keeps 'fit', but I think we are a bit 'odd'. I've cycled all my life and felt nothing wrong with riding my legs off - some folk don't like feeling like that.

At 50, I wish I could get away with my colleague's lack of exercise at 30, but that's life - I put weight on easier.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I wonder if similar arguments were made when bicycle started to get a bunch of gears? Im not sure. But still, its a form of transport to many and not a form of exercise or sport. Many realise, including the young un's, especially in cities that its quicker to get there on a bicycle than a car. It is my understanding it's only cheating if you turn up to a cycling competition with e-assist when you're not supposed to.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
This in spades. We are odd. A colleague of mine, who I sit next to at work, said 'wow you've been riding 16 miles most days since lockdown' - this is off road so I've not mentioned that it's harder. She's 30, slim etc etc, keeps 'fit', but I think we are a bit 'odd'. I've cycled all my life and felt nothing wrong with riding my legs off - some folk don't like feeling like that.

At 50, I wish I could get away with my colleague's lack of exercise at 30, but that's life - I put weight on easier.

She isn’t getting away with it, if she isn’t exercising she isn’t fit.

fossyant

She isn’t getting away with it, if she isn’t exercising she isn’t fit.

Well, they look like they do 'keep fit'. Bit like my neice. Signed up to do a 'tough mudder' type fun event, and she lasted about a mile before being carted off needing oxygen. The bit where I said have you been out running regularly got 'overlooked'.....

Top Bottom