Use of electric bikes by younger people.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Pretty crap KoM if someone doing 15.5mph can beat you...

dodgy

Thanks for the replies everybody. Thanks to the moderator too for toning down my inflammatory title.

I liked this comment.

It was just a rant. It's just my opinion of course. For me, e-bikes are not value for money but that's just me.

I enjoyed all the responses. Thanks.

But do you own a washing machine?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
My wife is a full time fitness instructor (teaches 16+ classes/week). So she is a pretty fit and healthy 30 something as far as most people would be concerned. But she also has an electric bike. Her muscles are so fatigued from teaching, but she still wants to be able to ride a bike. She uses it for commuting, and for joining me on days out. Something she wouldn't be able to do without the electric assistance. And sometimes I use it for commuting when my legs need a break. You don't like electric bikes, fine. But don't begrudge people who use them.

I've always been an analogue cyclist since youth.

Commuting, leisure, towing the kids and luggage about, and touring.

But I'm considering getting an e-bike to help tow stuff for my work.

As some of that involves evenings, and biggish hills.

On energetic days could still do it on a normal bike.

But I know I'd be far more likely to take an e-bike on those days when I was already a bit overstretched.

I expect there were a few old duffers aghast at the idea of 12 gears being available at one time..

"12 gears ?? Ay dunno, in mah day we ad one, if we were lucky, and we'd tow a granite boulder up t' middle ot road with whole family sat on it - ont way t'mill"

D

Deleted member 26715

Careful. Upset the E-bike Mafia and you'll get banned.
How do you join, do I have to find a horses head, or will the horses arses on this thread count?

anothersam

SMIDSMe
On yesterday’s ride I was passed (again!) going up quite a steep hill by a family of three. The father had his arm on his young daughter and was pushing her along, a paternal bicycle lift.

View: https://youtu.be/7j1PgmMbug8

The adults were riding with electrical assistance, but it was a marvelous thing to see.

8WiwN6W.png

They've come a long way.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
For me very little cycling stuff is value for money, most bikes fall into that category, lots of clothing, turbo trainers, tyres, wheels the list is virtually endless

An interesting topic started there, what do you consider value for money. I consider the costs involved when I spend, certainly a tyre does not cost much in terms of base product but a lot of costs involved in getting it from tree to your hands.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Electric bikes ridden by young people is probably less dangerous than cars driven by old people.

Quite possibly but the car driven by an old person is likely to be registered to it's real owner, be reasonably roadworthy, and be properly insured - so injured parties have some legal redress.
On the other hand, the irresponsible muppets riding around on illegal electric scooters and illegally de-restricted e-bikes aka unregistered electric motorcycles, when they cause accidents, are generally going to do their utmost to vanish from the scene ASAP and avoid accepting any responsibility for their actions.

Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 26715

At the risk of going off-topic & onto a interesting topic not this mundane one, your choice of tyres, compare their cost of a car tyre then compare it with the cost of a bike tyre. I just feel that manufacturers of cycle products live on the profits of the vanity of riders, not that they are alone, tying people into a brand is big business.

screenman

Legendary Member
At the risk of going off-topic & onto a interesting topic not this mundane one, your choice of tyres, compare their cost of a car tyre then compare it with the cost of a bike tyre. I just feel that manufacturers of cycle products live on the profits of the vanity of riders, not that they are alone, tying people into a brand is big business.

My thoughts are the base product is pennies on both, the handling costs through the supply chain could be more for cycle stuff as they sell fewer of them.

Top Bottom