Use of the word 'pimping'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What does gammon mean then?

It's an insult based on someone's complexion. Imagine anyone ever doing something like that!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I think we've taken this as far as we can so can someone please knock this on the head.
Maybe even spend a few minutes with ourselves, asking ourselves if we agree with the OP or not and the reasons why we do so.
Introspection not compulsory (I'm certainly not prone to it!) but a wee think about stuff sometimes is good, imo.

What does gammon mean then?
You may wish to start your own thread? ^_^

U

User6179

Again in fairness, @Surly Bruce did not say that any post that could be found offensive/annoying/disagreeable by some must be deleted.
He said there's no need to further aggravate the annoyance/disagreement/offense by deliberately finding/using similar terms, especially (my addition) if the topic did not call for them.

I wasn't being serious about deleting the post , I was making a point, badly as usual:smile:

I don't believe other than the mods that anybody on here should be policing words they find offensive, it would never end, see "granny gear"

Did you?
Maybe the OP thought the question was rather loaded, or maybe they felt they'd already answered your question before you'd asked it.
Loaded?

It was a simple question.

May as well say the original post was "loaded".

Have come back to trawl through this and at the point you made the comment I am replying to the OP definitely didn't answer my question.

If they did please point me at the answer.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I don't believe other than the mods that anybody on here should be policing words they find offensive, it would never end, see "granny gear"
Don't you see, it is not about being offended, as in "who are you calling pimp/are you trying to say I got my bike by pimping", it is about reflecting on the meaning of these words in the contest.
It's not about policing those words either, the Mods team is not going to censor "bike pimping"!
What I'm trying to say is that we should be able to discuss concerns like the OP's without dismissing them immediately, or, if we can't be bothered leave the OP be.

Only metaphorically. It's about the puceness of the rage, rather than the underlying skin colour.

Metaphorical. Of course. I knew there'd be a valid, non-insulting reason.

As someone with mild rosacea the phrase slightly offends me......not enough to go puce with rage though. I'm too left wing for that.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
People have differences of opinion and some are offended by stuff and others are not. Some of the 'stuff' of opinions is illegal, some of moderation, and some we'll have to learn to disagree on, like this

In that usage it is ageist and sexist. Is it therefore disallowed on this forum?

Luckily the thread is not advocating banning the metaphorical use of the word pimp, nor should it ban the metaphorical use of gammon.

In the overall scheme of things they are relatively mild and equally harmless metaphors, accepting that they can offend some people.

I suppose it is part of the bigger issue of whether we have the right not to be offended (or should that be right to be not offended?), and how much we should care (and/or amend our behaviour appropriately) about people's sensitivities.

Last edited:
Top Bottom