Using an Android phone app to follow an mtb route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrimUpNorth

Hi,

I have a old phone and being a tight g1t I am wondering if I can use an app on it to navigate a route rather than buying a bike computer. So with audio notifications if you go wrong etc.

Is this something Strava offers - I'm having a look but I must be missing it as I can see lots on how to create a route but nothing on using the Strava app to follow a route.

Thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You need premium strava to do it. Loads of other apps that work too.

BurningLegs

Veteran
RideWithGPS is great on iPhone and I think they have an Android version. No idea how good it is on Android.

Hi,

I have a old phone and being a tight g1t I am wondering if I can use an app on it to navigate a route rather than buying a bike computer. So with audio notifications if you go wrong etc.

Is this something Strava offers - I'm having a look but I must be missing it as I can see lots on how to create a route but nothing on using the Strava app to follow a route.

Thanks
It should work.
The question is what app?
Strava/Komoot/RWGPS wiil require subs/payments to import a route and follow it.

If you want to create your own routes that's different. Again, you'll need a sub or buy maps.

Lots of discussions on the best planners. Try using the search function.

Osmand is a free app that will allow you to do both. The first few regions are free, world maps a one off fee.
Clunky to get a hang of, but it works. It will even navigate you out of trouble off line.
Paired with cycle.travel it's a great introduction to gpx. (Cycle.travel may not be great for MTB routes).

If you are using someone else's route it may contain a route (or parts of) not recognised by your navigation app. (For this reason be careful transferring routes from app to app).

However, is using a phone a good idea? Especially on an MTB route?
Think about power, a holder, rain/glare, impact of a crash.
The charging sockets on a phone are not designed for the abuse they can get being charged on the road. Especially a bumpy one.
You may save money but damage or break your phone en route.

In any case, Osmand is a great app to learn about gps and how it works for bikes. Once on your phone it is the perfect get-me-the-hell-outta-here app.

Good luck

OP
OP
G

GrimUpNorth

Thanks for the replies.
I'm thinking of using a Lenovo p2 I had in the bottom of a draw so I'm not bothered if it breaks. It also has a large 5100 mAh battery so should last.

I'll check the apps - as I said I couldn't see the function with Strava but I'll look again.

Top Bottom