Using strava on smart phone abroad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I had a phone (given second hand locked to Orange) which we never managed to get credit onto.... And I just ended up using it to take photos and record Strava on, and it was fine. Just used to upload the information when I reached wifi at the end of the day.

dfthe1

I use my old iPhone purely for Strava, with airplane mode on. I have no contract so there's no mobile data on it anyway.

I just turn wifi on when I get home to sync the saved ride then turn airplane mode back on again. I do find Strava doesn't like syncing like this so I normally have to fully quit Strava (from double-clicking the home button) then restart.

I used it for navigating a route I'd built on Strava yesterday. You can see the route and your progres against it. There's no actual map -- you're just looking at a line against a white background with your position marked, but I didn't actually find this to be a problem.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I've never managed to get strava to work on an iPhone unless data is on (e.g. When phone in airplane mode to preserve battery)
Don't know about android.
You can do it with a garmin, just upload to PC when done

Or pay for data. How long will you be riding for each day? Might get costly if for a number of hours
Strava wouldnt work in aeroplane mode as the gps would be switched off

vickster

Legendary Member
Only if you're running iOS8.2 or earlier: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204234
To be fair I've not tried for a few years or on my more recent iPhones. Just assumed it still didn't work

I used a £20 PAYG SIM from 3-mobile last summer for use in France (at UK rates) - think it was this:

All-in-One 20 Add-on.
This Add-on gives you 300 minutes, 3,000 texts and 12GB

Though it had to be bought a few weeks before use AFAIA. Also no wifi hotspot/tethering function.

chappers1983

Used Strava on my iphone during the French Revolution sportive last year with roaming and all the stuff turned off. Recorded the ride fine and just uploaded it when I got back across the Channel. Worked fine

Top Bottom