Using strava on smart phone abroad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fifelad

Veteran
I,m led to believe I should not get charged if I turn my roaming off on my phone and the strava will still work ok then download at the end of the day ie hotel with free wi fi ?? If advice please

Does strava require data? Try switching off data on your phone and see if it works as normal. If it does then yes, switch off roaming and no data will be used when abroad.

Failing that data in Europe isn't that much anymore. Couple of £ a day usually.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've never managed to get strava to work on an iPhone unless data is on (e.g. When phone in airplane mode to preserve battery)
Don't know about android.
You can do it with a garmin, just upload to PC when done

Or pay for data. How long will you be riding for each day? Might get costly if for a number of hours

I've never managed to get strava to work on an iPhone unless data is on (e.g. When phone in airplane mode to preserve battery)
Don't know about android.
You can do it with a garmin, just upload to PC when done

Or pay for data. How long will you be riding for each day? Might get costly if for a number of hours
Normally abroad (Europe) is a daily charge rather than usage.

Does strava have an offline mode where maps are downloaded?

huwsparky

Über Member
Just stump up for a Garmin if you can. Much better than using a phone IMO. It'll store all your rides and you can upload them all when you get back.

vickster

Legendary Member
Normally abroad (Europe) is a daily charge rather than usage.

Does strava have an offline mode where maps are downloaded?
I've always been offered a limited amount for whatever fee...maybe it's changed in the last year

I think strava is online only on a phone

OP
OP
Fifelad

Fifelad

Veteran
I've got a Garmin so not an issue with downloading when I get home I was just thinking of being a complete twonk and was hoping to download stuff when I am there to make my friends at home jelous with the amount of miles in the sun as it happens ^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
I've only a cheap payg but strava seems to work OK without internet, you just need it to upload I think :-/
I guess the OP can only try when they get there

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
It should work fine, although without your phone talking to Google it will rely solely on GPS and may be slower to find your position. I don't know where you're going but can you upload via free wifi in hotels, cafés etc when you've finished your ride?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
You can turn data off while using Strava (android, not used fruit base phone for tracking). As has been said, upload via the hotel wifi later.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I am pretty sure Strava will work fine with data off. You just need to log the data to Strava later. If in doubt message them at the help desk

kiriyama

Yes it will work fine for recording rides just turn data off to avoid charges. And upload when you have free wifi .I don't think you will be able to use it for navigation without data on for maps etc. But I never do that.

Top Bottom