Using Strava

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
There are some people on a local forum that seem to think that their bikes were tracked to their houses and nicked and the common factor was strava use , I’ve never clapped eyes on a strave devices I would not pass any comment , but is it possible to shadow people through strava ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Just add a privacy zone. Or make all your rides private. Of course a local scrote could just follow you or watch you going home

figbat

Slippery scientist
Yes, it is possible. If you allow public viewing of your rides then anybody can see where you started and finished. If you add photos or describe what bike you ride you are broadcasting where you keep these things.

You can make your profile private, so others can’t see your activities. This means you miss out on the social aspect of Strava though. You can have a public profile but set privacy zones, meaning that the publicly-viewable activities that are posted appear to start and finish at a point some distance from your chosen private zone (could be home, work, whatever). However if you ride at the same time along the same routes then anyone with the motivation could wait for you and see where you go. Or just pull a screwdriver and bike jack you.

It is a thing.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
There are some people on a local forum that seem to think that their bikes were tracked to their houses and nicked and the common factor was strava use , I’ve never clapped eyes on a strave devices I would not pass any comment , but is it possible to shadow people through strava ?

Why do they think Strava was used rather than someone just broke in and nicked the bike? What reasoning did they give?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If you make a privacy zone based on your postcode, won't the blaggard just find the centre of the circle, and Bob's ya uncle... There's the bike shed 👍🏼

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you make a privacy zone based on your postcode, won't the blaggard just find the centre of the circle, and Bob's ya uncle... There's the bike shed 👍🏼

Multiple privacy zones

Yes this has happened for years and yes a small zone around your house is easy to find, I ride to the next big village where my club is from and start my rides from a generic supermarket car park, everything else is private.

I removed all references to bikes and pictures showing my bikes from Strava a long time ago

Jody

Stubborn git
I've got a few different postcodes from around my village so the whole village is blanked out. I've also checked this on the heatmaps and it doesn't show any activity near my house. The only other thing I do is turn off fly by off.

My only niggle is they don't allow pb times to appear on the leaderboard unless your ride is public.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Mixed messages then , I thought I would ask the question , two separate robberies within 5 m radius , pretty good bIkes , only thing in common is they are strava users , and it’s not me being Sherlock ,,

Top Bottom