Using Strava

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
It's like the people who claim that they need their houses blurred on Google Street View because allegedly burglars use that to scout out which properties to target. Because obviously there were absolutely no burglaries ever before Google came along...

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
How many Strava users with pretty good bikes in the same 5 mile radius didn't get their bikes nicked?
There is virtually a daily report of bikes being knocked off around here , these particular bods have not concluded but merely confer that there is a possibility that this starva may be the cursor to which these bike robbers get their info to target locations ,so in their eyes they are pre warning other starva users in the area of this possibility and to take steps to eliminate this possibility , to answer your question of high end bikes in the 5 m radius , Pearson’s a thriving high end bike shop is smack bang in the middle of the area and Sigma are not that far away, lots of very exxy bikes bombing around , so by which method homes and bike racks being targeted , be it by plain old random opportunistic raiders to tech savvy bods with a discerning eye and polished robbing skills who knows , I took it upon my self to ask the CC community what their thoughts are ,and relay it back
:smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
There is virtually a daily report of bikes being knocked off around here , these particular bods have not concluded but merely confer that there is a possibility that this starva may be the cursor to which these bike robbers get their info to target locations ,so in their eyes they are pre warning other starva users in the area of this possibility and to take steps to eliminate this possibility , to answer your question of high end bikes in the 5 m radius , Pearson’s a thriving high end bike shop is smack bang in the middle of the area and Sigma are not that far away, lots of very exxy bikes bombing around , so by which method homes and bike racks being targeted , be it by plain old random opportunistic raiders to tech savvy bods with a discerning eye and polished robbing skills who knows , I took it upon my self to ask the CC community what their thoughts are ,
:smile:
Yep SW London has very high theft rates - you can find data online

Drago

Legendary Member
At 2 meters
Or closer if they're well disguised.

Yes this has happened for years and yes a small zone around your house is easy to find,
You can set it to a 1km radius. That's 3.14 square km2. Add to that you can recalculate the privacy zone whenever you want so it uses a new datum point, so the actual area is probably nearer double that if you're using the feature properly.

So how would a villain know in which house your bicycle is? Hell, all of Gibraltar is only 6.8km and they're not suffering with herberts being able to suss out where people live from Strava.

I always shake me head in bewilderment that people out their whole lives on Facebook, but then get a bit worried about Strava.

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
It's like the people who claim that they need their houses blurred on Google Street View because allegedly burglars use that to scout out which properties to target. Because obviously there were absolutely no burglaries ever before Google came along...

Not quite. Google maps doesn't show you what's inside the house (shed/garage) before you get there, with a handy inventory of how many bikes the rider has, where they ride and at what time.

If Strava isn't secured it will even lead you to which garage or shed they are kept in.

Top Bottom