Using the top couple of gears only

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
That's just a very long way of saying what's already been said.

Kind of, I do put pedal faster as tongue in cheek at the end to make that reference. I've tried to put a few bits of info out there to help a "complete beginner" get more of a handle on what he's got and how he might be thinking as he gets more into riding, Superficially what he's got as a bike doesn't seem particularly suited to the riding he mentions doing, so I'm erring on the side that he may need some more info to help boost his confidence and awareness in his dealings with LBS, more than the quite terse experienced brain answers already given afford him & I'm the only one to have a jab at his noisy chain.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm a little confused by the OP's posts. 42x12 on 29'' wheels isn't a dawdling gear, and then there was a 2nd post about cross-chaining (42x32, which would be significantly slower) which wouldn't come up as an issue if only the top 2 small cassette rings are being used. Was it just a passing comment or are you matching big at the front with big at the rear, @colind ?

Cubist

Still wavin'
42x11 is a pretty big gear for a mountain bike. The biggest I have is a 38 front ring. My trail bike has a 32 front ring. I'd have to stand up all the time to push a 42-11 or 13 as sole gears. You need to work on technique. Forget road speed and upgrades and learn to ride what you have.

And as we suspect, you don't seem to realise that the smallest cogs on the cassette are the big gears, not the big ones.

OP
OP
C

colind

First of all, I have to thank everyone one for helping me out here. It makes a big difference as I really do not know anything about riding techniques and how to use the gears. I went out today, done 12miles of half trail and half road and found the bike a lot better. Still always in the big cog and the front but tried to pedal faster when I was on the road. Felt a bit unnatural for me doing that, rather than trying to power through it, but I will get better at it with time.
I will leave changing the cassette for now, The shop was going to charge £95.00 supplied and fitted. I also have a free 6 week service, so I will get the noise issue sorted then.
My plan when I bought the bike was to do road during the week and a trail at the weekends, so this is was the bike I was told would do the job. I will see how the next month or so goes and then see if it is best changing the cassette or save up for a road bike.
Have to say, really enjoying it, and I'm glad I can post silly questions without been laughed at too.
Cheers guys
Colin

Cyclist33

42x11 is a pretty big gear for a mountain bike. The biggest I have is a 38 front ring. My trail bike has a 32 front ring. I'd have to stand up all the time to push a 42-11 or 13 as sole gears. You need to work on technique. Forget road speed and upgrades and learn to ride what you have.

And as we suspect, you don't seem to realise that the smallest cogs on the cassette are the big gears, not the big ones.

He does realise that I think. Read the post where he says big ring, smallest two cogs=slight noise.

OP
OP
C

colind

I'm a little confused by the OP's posts. 42x12 on 29'' wheels isn't a dawdling gear, and then there was a 2nd post about cross-chaining (42x32, which would be significantly slower) which wouldn't come up as an issue if only the top 2 small cassette rings are being used. Was it just a passing comment or are you matching big at the front with big at the rear, @colind ?
Hi, The noise was happening when I was big at the front and small at the back. I don't know if my height and long legs are making the gears seem a bit easier than they should. I'm 6ft 5

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Hi, The noise was happening when I was big at the front and small at the back. I don't know if my height and long legs are making the gears seem a bit easier than they should. I'm 6ft 5
Ah, ok, I've just been back to your post and I realise that I'd misread it. Sorry about that. It'll probably just need a quarter turn or so to the front dérailleur adjuster so that it can move a fraction further out. If you put the bike in that gear combination, you should be able to see it move towards the bike (wrong direction) or outwards as you turn the screw.

As for the feeling you're pedalling too fast to reach a reasonable speed, I've no idea. The combination of 42 x 12 is not a racing set up but it's a decent enough ratio to get you to 20+ mph. It might simply be a matter of pedalling faster.

I think we probably need to clarify what gears you are using Colind. Big front, small rear are high/big gears. This is what I assumed you were using from your first post and the subsequent post about noise. Is this correct?

Edit: And I see you've clarified it again above.

Also six weeks is a long time to rattle :smile: I bet it's a simple adjustment. if it is a rattle and not a rub, try this video, it's a road bike but it's exactly the same on a mtn bike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

colind

I think we probably need to clarify what gears you are using Colind. Big front, small rear are high/big gears. This is what I assumed you were using from your first post and the subsequent post about noise. Is this correct?

Edit: And I see you've clarified it again above.

Also six weeks is a long time to rattle :smile: I bet it's a simple adjustment. if it is a rattle and not a rub, try this video, it's a road bike but it's exactly the same on a mtn bike.

Hi Crackle, It was the highest gear that the noise was coming from but after watching the video I think I have sorted it. Thanks very much for that. I will give it a spin on Tuesday to check that I have not messed the rest of the gears up but it seems ok..
I also checked the tyre pressure and it was at 32. So I take it that is more suited for rough off road?. I pumped them up to 50 as I will be just doing light trails/ roads at best. Is this the correct thing to do?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Hi. I just bought a cube aim 29er hardtail and am a complete beginner but I'm finding that I'm only using a couple a the gears on the bike when I'm on the road. I'm more or less stuck in the highest gear, but it still seems too easy to pedal. Is this normal? Im probably only going about 11-13 mph. The store says it is because it is set up for off road and I will need to buy a new cassette if I want to go faster. Does this sound right? Thanks in advance for your help.

Not being funny, but are you sure you're in top gear? Running out of revs a 11mph doesn't doesn't sound likely

Hi Crackle, It was the highest gear that the noise was coming from but after watching the video I think I have sorted it. Thanks very much for that. I will give it a spin on Tuesday to check that I have not messed the rest of the gears up but it seems ok..
I also checked the tyre pressure and it was at 32. So I take it that is more suited for rough off road?. I pumped them up to 50 as I will be just doing light trails/ roads at best. Is this the correct thing to do?
Depends a lot on your weight but that's about right. If you feel any skitting on the light trails as you go round bends take a bit of pressure out to about 40/45. They're large volume tyres so they don't need a lot of pressure compared to a 26" wheel with a 2.1 tyre. I ride with a bit less pressure in my 29" tyres but I'm a lighter rider. And about 30 for off road. Normally put a few lbs less in the front tyre compared to the rear.

Last edited:
Top Bottom