Utility supplier gone bust.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dolorous Edd

I do wish MPs and the media would stop calling the 'energy suppliers'; they're brokers funding their bets on the market with our cash.

Who contracts with wholesalers, transmission and distribution networks to supply your energy then?

sent a mail to my supplier/broker Octopus as they were slower than usual/stated response time in getting back to me with a bill after my reading. Got this back:
@@@
Lots of people are contacting us today to try and sign up with us, or checking that we're ok given the current unprecedented wholesale energy situation in the news. Please don't worry, we are a well backed, prudently hedged company and we are not going anywhere. Our CEO Greg Jackson has appeared on BBC, ITV and Sky News this week to talk about the situation and reassure our customers that we are not at risk.

@@@

must admit I do like them - have a nice lean feel - very responsive (but then I was with npower!) and their web page is slightly old fashioned/simple looking - not full of marketing guff. And unlike npower they aren't forever telling me they sponsor the bleedin cricket.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
So the numbers are in. Old vs new tariff rates (and no British Gas, please don't thank me for choosing you on all your emails, because I didn't...)

Day 12.74p vs 24.077p
Night 9.17p vs 12.666p
Standing 18.22p vs 24.199p

Whoopy-ruddy-doo.:sad:

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
I’ve just received an email indicating that Avro Energy customers are being moved over to Octopus Energy.
Prompted by your message, I have just checked my inbox, and I too have an email from Octopus, according to posts above they are not at risk.

Svendo

Guru
I’ve just received an email indicating that Avro Energy customers are being moved over to Octopus Energy.
I think that’s probably a decent result. As above I was with Green and not heard where we’re being sent yet.

Prompted by your message, I have just checked my inbox, and I too have an email from Octopus
Me too. Timed at 16.13 this p.m.

I vaguely remember at last renewal getting a quote from Octopus and it was not competitive. My guess is that we shall/might be on a half decent tariff to start and come renewal time it will shoot up. We shall see. I think price differentials between all suppliers will no longer be as large as they have been.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I've received a couple of Emails from Octopus so far. ( I was with Avro and have been switched ) Quite impressed with the clarity and professionalism. I've dug around a bit and am happy to have been switched to them, one aspect which I've not yet investigated fully was the ability to use Smart Metering to the customers advantage when energy prices drop. This is something that I felt should have been offered to all, but as the majority of the new entrants seem to have been gambling on the energy prices staying somewhat stable instead of hedging their bets, It wasn't in their interests to offer the facility.

Reactions: JtB

Svendo

Guru
just found out I’m off to Shell Energy. Had an email from Green (or the administrators I suppose) asking for meter readings yesterday, which I managed to enter. I’d tried last week when they went bust but the website didn’t work. Had an email from Shell, all warm and cuddly but no mention of tariffs.

icowden

Veteran
Please tull us you dont have a smart meter?

Why? What does a smart meter have to do with it?

Lucky we didn't keep that Gas Storage we used to have which would have helped manage the crisis...

The Rough storage facility, owned by Centrica, the parent company of British Gas, provided 70% of the UK gas storage capacity for more than 30 years before it shut in 2017 following a government decision not to subsidise the costly maintenance and upgrades needed to keep the site going.

For decades the UK had been able to avoid investment in costly storage in favour of tapping its domestic North Sea reserves for gas on demand. So why did the UK believe it could continue to do without even as those reserves declined?

In 2013, the then energy minister Michael Fallon said the decision to allow Rough to close would save the UK £750m over 10 years. Instead, a diverse range of energy sources would ensure the public received “reliable supplies of electricity and gas at minimum cost”.

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Another one bites the dust...

Top Bottom