Utility supplier gone bust.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Also
Beeb reporting 'three more', including Igloo.

Running total so far is nine, although I'd not previously heard of any of them.

I wonder how many of these companies there are.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58732683

A fair few. Bulb was mentioned a few times, but they are the UKs 6th largest supplier, so I think they are safe(ish).

Dolorous Edd

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
About 3 weeks ago my last supplier PDF Energy took £193.59 out of my bank account without me knowing or having permission to do so from me. I phoned them to be met with a dead line. I then saw they'd gone bust a few days before.:ohmy: I went into my bank to see what could be done about it and luckily they said they'd compensate me the stolen amount. PDF Energy had around 85,000 customers. I wonder how much they scammed in total before going bust?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've just moved from them (mentioned earlier in this thread) and have a big balance with them.

My guess is it will get to me ... eventually :sad:
It was your earlier post that prompted me to email them on Friday asking for the refund of my pretty substantial credit balance. Got a commendably prompt response assuring me that de blah de blah and was I sure? I responded yes. Not a word since, till that. :sad:, as you say.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I took a meter reading yesterday as suggested by my new supplier Octopus Energy. Unfortunately by the time I was able to log in to the Avro portal, the ability to see statements was no longer available. I know we were in credit more than £300 , I’m optimistic that the changeover will reflect that.

Lozz360

Veteran
About 3 weeks ago my last supplier PDF Energy took £193.59 out of my bank account without me knowing or having permission to do so from me. I phoned them to be met with a dead line. I then saw they'd gone bust a few days before.:ohmy: I went into my bank to see what could be done about it and luckily they said they'd compensate me the stolen amount. PDF Energy had around 85,000 customers. I wonder how much they scammed in total before going bust?
Wouldn’t this money be a credit on your account? I am assuming you didn’t owe it to them? We are told that money in credit on our energy accounts is protected in the event of the supplier going bust. So referring to this as stolen could be a bit harsh. I am hoping I’m correct as I have money in credit with Igloo Energy who went bust just yesterday!

PS. We got our revenge on Tuesday just gone. Your boys took one hell of a beating! :okay:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I took a meter reading yesterday as suggested by my new supplier Octopus Energy. Unfortunately by the time I was able to log in to the Avro portal, the ability to see statements was no longer available. I know we were in credit more than £300 , I’m optimistic that the changeover will reflect that.

I've also been swapped from Avro to Octopus. If it's any help, you can still view your balance on the Avro website (might be worth taking a screenshot of that) and you can also list your historical meter readings. You can probably make a good stab at working out what would have been on your recent statement(s) from that.

The regulator has confirmed that balances will be transferred.

welcome to octopus - you can very easily change your monthly direct debit with them online.
Their systems are very slick and clean without bells/whistles fanfares and flash.

Johnsop99

Veteran
We are with Bulb and are just over £400 in credit. They have just emailed us saying that they want to increase our monthly payment by £25.00 starting next month. They are probably doing this to a lot of people to try and increase cashflow to stay afloat. Going to try contacting them later today.

vickster

Legendary Member
I seem to recall Bulb allow you to just set your DD as you want assuming in credit (I was with them a number of years ago so may have changed). How much has your tariff changed with the recent rises, and how long would that £400 last if nothing changes on your DD?

Johnsop99

Veteran
I seem to recall Bulb allow you to just set your DD as you want assuming in credit (I was with them a number of years ago so may have changed). How much has your tariff changed with the recent rises, and how long would that £400 last if nothing changes on your DD?
We did reduce our DD by £25.00 about three months ago and our credit is still going up. They want to put our payment back up to where it was 3 months ago. I know winter is approaching and we will be using more fuel but even on our lower payments I can still see us being in credit, just, come the spring. If by any chance we do use more we can increase our payments in 3 or 4 months time. Do it now and we will definately still be in credit by a considerable amount next spring.

icowden

Veteran

Similarly to @Johnsop99 I'm about £400 in credit with Bulb and have dropped my DD to £174 from £210. There is a minimum amount you can drop to in the app (you have to contact them to go past that). Prices have gone up and there are plenty of sites saying "you should now switch from Bulb", but they tend not to take into account that other providers tend to be fixed, whereas if we get past the crisis in 8 weeks time and gas prices drop by 50%, my tariff will also drop immediately.

Similarly to @Johnsop99 I'm about £400 in credit with Bulb and have dropped my DD to £174 from £210. There is a minimum amount you can drop to in the app (you have to contact them to go past that).
My DD is very low with Octopus. I have the idea that if they can see that your DD is covering the fuel usage they are OK. My credit/excess lodged with them is pretty low as well. A world away from the npower of old.

Top Bottom