Vacuum Flasks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
OK for me this is a bit old school! :laugh: What's in your bottles is usually a discussion on electrolytes etc.

My and adjoining areas are in Tier 2 restrictions which means we can ride as a six but not visit cafes together. It may get worse in the north-west. Myself and my regular cycling buddies have also decided we don't want to use cafes through the winter.

I'm looking for recommendations on vacuum flasks to fit a bottle cage. I found a thread from 2015 but hope things have moved on.

KneesUp

Guru
I found a thread from 2015 but hope things have moved on.

What innovations are you hoping for? The main questions are 'does it fit' and 'does it keep coffee warm'? I have a few flasks from work that are sub-standard cosmetically (and not ones necessarily in a design I'd choose) but they fit in the cage, keep drinks hot, and were free.

Not sure you can ask for much more?

To a large extent it depends on the cages you have. Mine fits in one (a plastic one that is flexible) but not the other (old school aluminium)

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Can't remember where I got them but I have two that fit in bottle cages and having a tourer can fit both with coffee and third cage for water. Guessing they are army surplus as a lot of my stuff comes from ex military as it is cheap and lasts forever.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Stanley travel mug is, in reality, a travel mug sized thermos. Lifetime guarantee, near on indestuctable, and super efficient - ive put coffee in one on a friday lunchtime before rushing out the door to a SAR callout, and it was,still drinkable and hot on sunday morning. They fit in most bottle cages too.

They do several types, but this is the one ypu want for a bottle cage.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Outside seating at most cycling cafes in North West ? Failing that and you want to take hot drinks something like this will suffice,with a strap around to stop any rattles.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201160623304
Yes, a number of the places we visit have outside seating but we feel this isn't the answer for winter. We don't want to sit around getting cold while waiting to be served etc.

Our thinking is to shorten our rides to 50/55 miles, have a ten minute stop, quick coffee and a bar of some sort.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
No other way of carrying flask?
Nope!

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Thermos thermocafe 0.5 ltr stainless.
Bought mine in 2013 and keeps drinks hot for over 4 hours, maybe longer. Best to warm it up first by filling with hot water prior to filling with tea, coffee, soup, blood etc.
It's a little loose in the cage but it can be bulked out by fitting a sock or two over it. Probly a good idea to use a velcro strap at the top to secure it to the frame.

midlife

Guru
I take a thermos flask of coffee over to Newcastle where I work (long story) for the last 20 years. Lost a few over the years with house moves etc and found that buying cheap does not pay... Whatever you buy get something decent.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The only one I've come across specificslly for cycling is the Elite Deboyo (0.5 l)
Comes with a cycling sippy top and a screw on lid. I'd expect it to work much the same as the thermos 0.5l.

In general, bigger work better than smaller, and glass (if you can find one) works better than stainless, which works better than plastic.

Bite the bullet paul, take a small stove, gas cartridge and espresso pot. Or kettle if you prefer tea. And cup of course. Never liked stuff out of flasks.
I can recommend some compact (ish) bits.
See any increased weight as a training aid.

Top Bottom