Vacuum Flasks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Just a quick update which may benefit others. I purchased a Stanley Classic Twinlock Travel Mug. It fits beautifully in to a bottle cage. From here it goes rapidly downhill. The diagrams in the instruction booklet are extremely small meaning I'm unable to clearly determine how to disassemble and reassemble the lid and it's locking mechanism. I need to be able to understand this because the first time I used the item the cam arm which helps to lock the lid in place flew off. After repeated attempts to reassemble I've given up as it's apparent if I try to force the lid and cam arm in some way it will break.

Whether or not this mug has good insulation properties I can't say. I can though comment it seems poorly manufactured, the locking mechanism is far from secure and this can be dangerous when filled with hot liquid, the instruction booklet is printed so small it's impossible to read, there are no PDF instructions on the Stanley website meaning one can't access images and enlarge them. A product which I will return tomorrow though I am accepting a replacement in the hope it will prove better.

Be very wary of this travel mug if you are considering it.

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member

Drago

Legendary Member
Just a quick update which may benefit others. I purchased a Stanley Classic Twinlock Travel Mug. It fits beautifully in to a bottle cage. From here it goes rapidly downhill. The diagrams in the instruction booklet are extremely small meaning I'm unable to clearly determine how to disassemble and reassemble the lid and it's locking mechanism. I need to be able to understand this because the first time I used the item the cam arm which helps to lock the lid in place flew off. After repeated attempts to reassemble I've given up as it's apparent if I try to force the lid and cam arm in some way it will break.

Whether or not this mug has good insulation properties I can't say. I can though comment it seems poorly manufactured, the locking mechanism is far from secure and this can be dangerous when filled with hot liquid, the instruction booklet is printed so small it's impossible to read, there are no PDF instructions on the Stanley website meaning one can't access images and enlarge them. A product which I will return tomorrow though I am accepting a replacement in the hope it will prove better.

Be very wary of this travel mug if you are considering it.
There's a definite knack. All 3 or us in the Drago household have one, and theyre very popular with SAR team members, and youre the first person I know whos had anything come adrift.

To release it, open the lid thing as far as itll go, then pull it outwards and itll click open.

To close it make sure the internal flap is in the closed position (very important, or youll break it) then push the hinged lid back inwards until it clicks again. Looking at the mechanism on mine I can see that it may not end well if one tries to click the lid back while the internal flap isn't fully in the closed position.

Theyve a lifetime guarantee and the manufacturers themselves have a good rep for honouring it, so you can't go wrong,

Asda are selling a Smash flask for £5.
Takes about 2/3 of a cup of coffee and fits in a back pocket. Will test it out at the weekend.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
There's a definite knack. All 3 or us in the Drago household have one, and theyre very popular with SAR team members, and youre the first person I know whos had anything come adrift.

To release it, open the lid thing as far as itll go, then pull it outwards and itll click open.

To close it make sure the internal flap is in the closed position (very important, or youll break it) then push the hinged lid back inwards until it clicks again. Looking at the mechanism on mine I can see that it may not end well if one tries to click the lid back while the internal flap isn't fully in the closed position.

Theyve a lifetime guarantee and the manufacturers themselves have a good rep for honouring it, so you can't go wrong,

This is exactly the conclusion I reached. The cam arm failed to close properly the first time. As I left the house I noticed steam rising, tried to close it which was very stiff and the cam arm pinged off. Rather than get flustered I left it behind.

Spent a good hour last night trying to refit and each time it appeared to be in position attempting to close it results in the cam arm flying off!!!! Something is wrong as a serious amount of force is needed to get this cam arm in place.

The disappointing/frustrating thing is the failure to provide clear instructions to something which has a definite knack. The full image provided is 1.5x0.5cm and the "exploded" view of the lid is 0.5x0.5cm which includes two hands!! :wacko:

Very poor in my opinion.

Asda are selling a Smash flask for £5.
Takes about 2/3 of a cup of coffee and fits in a back pocket. Will test it out at the weekend.

Tried my flask. Pretty good. Fits in a pocket and it's 200ml so you don't notice it. Probs 2/3 of a normal cup of coffee. Just right for a quick stop in the cool.

Was OK after a 5 hour ride when I forgot I had it with me, but nice and hot mid ride today after almost 2 hours.

Screenshot_20201113-144444.jpg

RichardB

Slightly retro
Pah ! Messing about with flasks....do the right thing and get one of these... View attachment 552355

Hmm. Cream teas? :becool:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
At the weekend I was using my Vango 1 litre flask which I got when I was serving (it was sold off by the PEd store as surplus expedition equipment). It must be 20 years old now and it's been dropped on rocks a goodly amount so it's certainly been indestructible, and it keeps tea hot for about 20 hours (so plenty). A quick google shows that they still sell them, and they do smaller versions! Would a 500ml version fit in a bike bottle holder I wonder?
There's no clamps, arms, clasps or anything, just a screw top bung and a screw on cup.

https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/camping-equipment/570-magma-flask-500ml.html

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The replacement I was promised arrived swiftly and I've used it a few times now. I thought the following would be of use.

There is a lid position for cleaning which it's easy to move the lid into without realising it. Once you know it's obvious. In this position the lid can't be closed. Not knowing this I pushed too hard and the cam arm came off. It's difficult, to say the least, to put back on.

In use the Stanley Travel Mug works well. It fits snugly in to a bottle cage. My cages are side-entry so I use a velcro strap to keep it securely in place. The "pour" is good and it's very comfortable to drink from without removing the lid.

I've used it three times now, once at 7⁰C and twice 5⁰C. Yesterday was 5⁰C with a "feels like" of 3⁰C. Up to two hours coffee is still hot and good to drink but at 3¾ hours, the longest I've tried, it's drinkable but the temperature is very low.

For an insulated cup moving unprotected through a "feels like" temperature of 3⁰C for two hours I think it's a good result. My guess is with the protection of a rucksack the result would be a much hotter drink.

Overall I'm happy and doubt I'd find an affordable alternative for the conditions it's subjected to. I'm going to try some sort of protective cover.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Medium frame (54cm), medium sized bag also. Bag contains 2 spare tubes, pump, multi tool, chain splitter, and a couple of pairs medical gloves. Room for a 3-4 Mars bars still i reckon.

Lookrider

https://www.campingworld.co.uk/en/gb/Trekmates-Flameless-Super-Power-Heat-Pack/m-9558.aspx

Not exactly what you were looking for but is an alternative
That link above was the 1st one I came across
I have these food tins and a coffee cup
You basically put a dry "pad" in the base of the cup and add small amounts of water to it
Another cup is secured into this and is what your water milk or soup is in and secured with the lid
The water n pad (in the base void) react to create steam that heats up the water ( milk or soup ) in your cup very very hot
The only downside is it takes a few minutes to boil
There great for longer camping journeys for food or hot drinks and I use them on the trains for coffee back in day when travel was more frequent

Top Bottom