Van driver is sacked by his firm after CCTV footage shows him swerving into a cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
The vans aren't exactly unrecognizable.

two-vans.jpg

They got a £100,000 investment from Duncan Bannatyne in Dragon's Den.

http://www.ncpm247.com/news.php

Ben M

mr_cellophane said:
The vans aren't exactly unrecognizable.

two-vans.jpg

They got a £100,000 investment from Duncan Bannatyne in Dragon's Den.

http://www.ncpm247.com/news.php

This goes some way to explaining the driver's actions, I'd be pretty moody if I was driving round in one of those abominations!!

Crankarm

Guru
What a waste of 14 minutes. The guy from the company inspite of saying their van driver's driving was potentially dangerous blamed the cyclist as he wasn't far enough to the left so was the author of his own misfortune.

Then the moronic comments the BBC producers selected. The final one said it all - saying all cyclists should be banned from the road, their rights and opinions are VOID - thus inciting drivers to copy the instant driver to swerve into cyclists and try and knock them off. This is why I have given up road cycling :cold:.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Crankarm said:
...Then the moronic comments the BBC producers selected. The final one said it all - saying all cyclists should be banned from the road, their rights and opinions are VOID - thus inciting drivers to copy the instant driver to swerve into cyclists and try and knock them off. This is why I have given up road cycling :wacko:.
No disrespect Crankers, but why do you insist on mentioning this in every thread you contribute to now?

Yes, you had a very bad (from what I can gather) run in with some idiot in a car.

You don't wish to report it (unless your opinion has changed) which I think is rather bonkers in itself - obviously nothing will be done if you do nothing about it.

You have given up cycling.

Your choice, but do you need to keep banging on about this final point?

Crankarm

Guru
Sh4rkyBloke said:
No disrespect Crankers, but why do you insist on mentioning this in every thread you contribute to now?

Yes, you had a very bad (from what I can gather) run in with some idiot in a car.

You don't wish to report it (unless your opinion has changed) which I think is rather bonkers in itself - obviously nothing will be done if you do nothing about it.

You have given up cycling.

Your choice, but do you need to keep banging on about this final point?

I'm not as you put it "keeping banging on about it". I have only mentioned it on this thread apart from my OP as I feel it is relevant and indicates that the issues this matter raises occur more frequently than you might have realised. You only have to look at all the footage on Youtube which is fairly recent, the stories related on cycling forums such as here and those cyclists who have actually been killed. If you haven't noticed it you either don't cycle very often, very far, have not been cycling very long or live in a cave.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
...and it would be easy to miss the many many thousands of cyclists and all their many journeys which are fun, enjoyable, and don't get talked about much. Or the fact that as a regular cyclist you're likely to live two years longer than the general population, or that cycling in London at least, is getting safer and safer all the time.

Give up cycling, and you're probably shortening your life expectancy, even if you're managing to avoid the intimidation.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Crankarm said:
I'm not as you put it "keeping banging on about it". I have only mentioned it on this thread apart from my OP as I feel it is relevant and indicates that the issues this matter raises occur more frequently than you might have realised. You only have to look at all the footage on Youtube which is fairly recent, the stories related on cycling forums such as here and those cyclists who have actually been killed. If you haven't noticed it you either don't cycle very often, very far, have not been cycling very long or live in a cave.
1. Apologies then, it must be that my order of reading has made it seem rather often. After a quick count I see it's only 4 times in your OP and 2 times in this one, so perhaps "banging on" was a tad harsh. :wacko:

2. I've had my faire share of close shaves and run-ins with drivers (as can be seen from my YouTube channel which has only some of the ones since I got my camera) and although I don't do huge mileage (about 200 - 250 a month commuting with some social/family rides in for good measure as and when I can) I am very aware that the roads can be a dangerous place.... but that's always been the case whether you're in a car or on a bike. I don't think I'd ever quit riding though because of this though, but that's just me.

lit

To be honest I'd probably feel the same if I was Crankarm, I had 6-7 dangerous incidents yesterday and even two people undertaking me because they are that impaitent for me to pass a junction.

I've reliased aside from reporting them through roadsafe all you can really do is get a camera, forget it's there and enjoy your ride, I really don't believe in cameras for that purpose, it's a sorry state of affairs but if people insist on abusing a "minority" then their is little choice.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I'm SO glad there are plenty of cycle tracks round where I live - I can cycle to Glasgow with less than a mile of it being done on the road.

People cycling on the pavement though still pisses me off, but at the same time, I can understand where they are coming from as I have in the past, had my handlebars clipped by a passsing van, nearly causing me to crash into the kerb which I was DIRECTLY beside (it was pretty hairly moment until I gained control again).
I was young and thought it was a mistake on the driver's part, but when I think about it now, it must have been deliberate as I was as far over to the left as I possibly could have been without being on the pavement!

To be honest, I have never had many problems on the roads around here and Glasgow, other than the occasional blip, but I might think twice about it if I was in the likes of London where everyone seems to be zarking insane!

Top Bottom