Van trying to swerve into a cyclist...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

Had a phone call this morning from the police officer handling the case.

The matter went to court and the van driver pleaded guilty to driving without due consideration and received 5pts, a fine (she didn't know how much) and court costs.

No more ccomments/condemnations about me hitting the side of the van - the point is he shoulddn't have performed his maneouvre - case closed.

Well done.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Excellent result which I'm confident was entirely down to the video.

Crankarm

Guru
I think your camera footage would have been pivotal in court and very much influenced the advice he recieved from his solicitor. Did he plead guilty or contest the charge? Had you not had any footage then I don't even think the police would have been interested as it would be your word against his. It certainly wouldn't have got anywhere near a court. The police/CPS may or may not have contacted the independent witness.

Result though. I have had far far worse though, idiots that going by your case, should be serving 5 years imprisonment.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Had a phone call this morning from the police officer handling the case.

The matter went to court and the van driver pleaded guilty to driving without due consideration and received 5pts, a fine (she didn't know how much) and court costs.

No more ccomments/condemnations about me hitting the side of the van - the point is he shoulddn't have performed his maneouvre - case closed.
well done - both you and the police

In the two instances that I have had very close overtakes I refrained from hitting the vechicles on the grounds that as the vehicles weighed about 2 tons then the drivers may also weigh an equal amount and that discretion would be the better part of valour. So I just made do with a lot of swearing and the waving of various didgits :whistle: .

I notice the "you deserve to be killed because you touched his car" idiots are piping up…

Good result btw

For all those that think that touching a car, or banging on the side/roof is criminal damage, doesn’t there actually have to be some “damage” to the van in the first place. If I knock on a driver’s car window to let them know they haven’t got their lights on that isn’t criminal damage – neither is knocking on the window to tell them they are a w*nker for driving while using their mobile etc…

Origamist

Legendary Member
I notice the "you deserve to be killed because you touched his car" idiots are piping up…

Good result btw

For all those that think that touching a car, or banging on the side/roof is criminal damage, doesn’t there actually have to be some “damage” to the van in the first place. If I knock on a driver’s car window to let them know they haven’t got their lights on that isn’t criminal damage – neither is knocking on the window to tell them they are a w*nker for driving while using their mobile etc…

Indeed. An open hand will not damage the window/bodywork but it will get the driver's attention if they are pushing you into the kerb etc. It's my last resort if shouting and escape routes have been exhausted.

Top Bottom