Van trying to swerve into a cyclist...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

If a car got too close, im not going to let it touch me, im going to hold my arm out against it to keep my (pedal/feet/body) distance away from it.

Could be road rage - although this is why I compare it to the use of the horn - if used properly its meant to be there to let others know you are there - which is exactly the reason I am talking about the slap and how they can be compared.

It isn't the same though...it's a more aggressive act than blowing the horn...It's almost assault...It's certainly touching someone else's property without permission and I have never done it.

I see why motorists get upset and there is no excuse for it.

Assault? Hitting a car, regardless of how hard or if you intend to damage it is not assault.

A bike doesn't have a horn, if a car gets too close its a very good and effective way of making your presence known (which is the proper usage of a car horn). You will see that most people "slap" the car rather than punch/hit it etc, mainly to cause noise and no damage.

And I don't think there is a law against touching someone's property... even then, you can stand on someone land and you are not doing anything illegal until you are asked to leave.

What you are probably trying to say is criminal damage - and unless there is any damage, then what is going to be done about it...

The type of motorist to get slapped by a cyclist is probably the type of motorist that is already upset at having to wait 0.458 seconds to pass a cyclist before they decide they cannot be bothered to wait for that traffic island and goes for it anyway because the dirty cyclist isn't on that shared pavement system that they paid for with their road tax.....

Origamist

Legendary Member
The only time I can recall hitting vehicles is when they drift into me during lane changing (usually because they haven't seen me) and are forcing me into the kerb. This percussive method of getting the attention of spatially unaware road users has helped me out on a few occasions. I don't use it as a retaliatory gesture though.

mgarl10024

Über Member
Hi,

Sorry if being thick, but I can't watch the video.
I clicked on the link and youtube said I needed an account. I set one up, tried again, and it says "the video is private". :sad:

Thanks,

MG

If a car got too close, im not going to let it touch me, im going to hold my arm out against it to keep my (pedal/feet/body) distance away from it.

Could be road rage - although this is why I compare it to the use of the horn - if used properly its meant to be there to let others know you are there - which is exactly the reason I am talking about the slap and how they can be compared.

Assault? Hitting a car, regardless of how hard or if you intend to damage it is not assault.

A bike doesn't have a horn, if a car gets too close its a very good and effective way of making your presence known (which is the proper usage of a car horn). You will see that most people "slap" the car rather than punch/hit it etc, mainly to cause noise and no damage.

And I don't think there is a law against touching someone's property... even then, you can stand on someone land and you are not doing anything illegal until you are asked to leave.

What you are probably trying to say is criminal damage - and unless there is any damage, then what is going to be done about it...

The type of motorist to get slapped by a cyclist is probably the type of motorist that is already upset at having to wait 0.458 seconds to pass a cyclist before they decide they cannot be bothered to wait for that traffic island and goes for it anyway because the dirty cyclist isn't on that shared pavement system that they paid for with their road tax.....

I never said it was assault.

A bike doesn't have a horn except mine which does have a horn...all three bikes.TIA

As I said earlier if you banged the roof of my car I would get p155£d off because it would probably make me jump...I can see why motorists do get annoyed.

brokenbetty

Über Member
As I said earlier if you banged the roof of my car I would get p155£d off because it would probably make me jump...I can see why motorists do get annoyed.

Unfortunately you are right. The reality is that they have been startled by a deliberate bang as opposed to a sickening crunch and blood curdling scream so if they are rational they should be happy, but people aren't wired that way.

I think in these circumstances there is no way not to pi55 off the driver because the driver has already made the mistake. All the cyclist can do is mitigate it. The cyclist can't disappear and the driver is unlikely to realise the error was theirs, so at that point anything that happens is going to result in a pi55ed off driver.

To be fair, you only have to look at some people the wrong way to get a reaction. This morning a van cuts in in front of me, forcing me to pull off the gas and brake. It was annoying, nothing more, so I put my hand up in a what was that gesture made a face and left it at that. We were about to join a long queue so I was getting ready to leave him for dust! :smile:

However, that was enough to set him off. Swearing at me, saying it was unfortunate he missed me, and then swerving to stop me filtering and opening his door as if was about to come out and confront me. He backed off and I filtered past him, pointing out the camera. He was left in my dust of course! :biggrin:

Yes I do have footage, and if I get a chance I'll post it. I really did nothing to deserve his rant. It was obvious he just hated cyclists, so no provocation required. Probably because I can filter! :becool::biggrin:

Unfortunately you are right. The reality is that they have been startled by a deliberate bang as opposed to a sickening crunch and blood curdling scream so if they are rational they should be happy, but people aren't wired that way.

I think in these circumstances there is no way not to pi55 off the driver because the driver has already made the mistake. All the cyclist can do is mitigate it. The cyclist can't disappear and the driver is unlikely to realise the error was theirs, so at that point anything that happens is going to result in a pi55ed off driver.

I can't really understand this banging on the roof lark as I have never used it.I have seen it used and in my opinion it is road rage...or at least it was then.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've banged someones roof before. I only ever do it if they pass too close and I can easily touch it. If I can touch there car, then they are not passing me at a safe distance.

Number14

Guru
Had a phone call this morning from the police officer handling the case.

The matter went to court and the van driver pleaded guilty to driving without due consideration and received 5pts, a fine (she didn't know how much) and court costs.

No more ccomments/condemnations about me hitting the side of the van - the point is he shoulddn't have performed his maneouvre - case closed.

davefb

Guru
Had a phone call this morning from the police officer handling the case.

The matter went to court and the van driver pleaded guilty to driving without due consideration and received 5pts, a fine (she didn't know how much) and court costs.

No more ccomments/condemnations about me hitting the side of the van - the point is he shoulddn't have performed his maneouvre - case closed.

blimey, 'result' !

do you know why this incident and not any others? was it just coz it 'crossed the line' of acceptability?

was it just your video , or were there any witnesses??

still , definately looks like the camera is the 'must have' gadget :biggrin:

Origamist

Legendary Member
A caution for assault and 5 points for driving without reasonable consideration is an excellent result (they don't usually opt for this charge, btw).

Was the video used in court?

Top Bottom