Van trying to swerve into a cyclist...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
If your video was used in court, then I think you might be the first cyclist in the uk to have 'achieved' that. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Good news.

If a car got too close, im not going to let it touch me, im going to hold my arm out against it to keep my (pedal/feet/body) distance away from it.

Could be road rage - although this is why I compare it to the use of the horn - if used properly its meant to be there to let others know you are there - which is exactly the reason I am talking about the slap and how they can be compared.

Sounds like it.

Assault? Hitting a car, regardless of how hard or if you intend to damage it is not assault.

I never said it was assault

A bike doesn't have a horn, if a car gets too close its a very good and effective way of making your presence known (which is the proper usage of a car horn). You will see that most people "slap" the car rather than punch/hit it etc, mainly to cause noise and no damage.

Mine do.I made it a point to fit them.

And I don't think there is a law against touching someone's property... even then, you can stand on someone land and you are not doing anything illegal until you are asked to leave.

Ok I will go round happy slapping cars and see what reaction I get.

What you are probably trying to say is criminal damage - and unless there is any damage, then what is going to be done about it...

It doesn't seem right or necessary and seems like road rage a lot of the time

The type of motorist to get slapped by a cyclist is probably the type of motorist that is already upset at having to wait 0.458 seconds to pass a cyclist before they decide they cannot be bothered to wait for that traffic island and goes for it anyway because the dirty cyclist isn't on that shared pavement system that they paid for with their road tax.....

That's about as bias as me saying that all taxi drivers are dodgy drivers...

Anyway congratulations on your result.:thumbsup:

Number14

Guru
Sounds like a result number14. Sorry to comment about the hand tap thing if the court had seen it as excessively provocative the driver would have walked free, they didn't.

It wasn't an aggresive tap - it was me warning him of my presence and fending the vehicle off.

blimey, 'result' !

do you know why this incident and not any others? was it just coz it 'crossed the line' of acceptability?

was it just your video , or were there any witnesses??

still , definately looks like the camera is the 'must have' gadget :biggrin:

There was a witness in the car behind but I don't know if the police spoke to her.

A caution for assault and 5 points for driving without reasonable consideration is an excellent result (they don't usually opt for this charge, btw).

Was the video used in court?

I don't know whether the video was shown in court. The policewoman looking into the case said the guy in the van was shown it in the police station at interview. I expect that it would have been available to the court if they wanted to see it.

Excellent result! :smile:

Will you be putting the video back up?

It's back up until the comments start about "you should have stopped and let him out/not hit the van/ been more in primary/not done this/did that/breathed in" etc, at which point it will be removed again.

It wasn't an aggresive tap - it was me warning him of my presence and fending the vehicle off.

It's back up until the comments start about "you should have stopped and let him out/not hit the van/ been more in primary/not done this/did that/breathed in" etc, at which point it will be removed again.

The authorities must have agreed with that :smile:

I'd forgotten until I seen the vid again how much of a prat SVM was. It unlisted so hopefully you won't get too many stupid comments.

Matty

I too did watch that first time round, but had forgotten just how aggressive he was. Sounds like he got his just deserves, good job.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

This is an excellent result. I've followed your videos on youtube for a while, but obviously haven't been able to see this one until today. Not going to enter the 'slap' debate at all. His driving and attitude speaks for itself.

I wonder how much progress would have been made without the helmet cam footage. Any guesses?

Number14

Guru
It's not the comments on youtube - it's the "expert" opinions that frequently appear on this forum :tired:

Mrs police lady said that little chance of anything without an independent witness - my word against his. She reckons the video improved the odds in my favour.

It's not the comments on youtube - it's the "expert" opinions that frequently appear on this forum :tired:

Mrs police lady said that little chance of anything without an independent witness - my word against his. She reckons the video improved the odds in my favour.

I don't see my opinion as expert...I just wonder sometimes why people have to whack the roofs of cars...something I have never done in almost thirty years of cycle commuting.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

my word against his.

A response I have had on numerous occasions from the police, not just with regard to incidents on the road, but also a theft. Not that I necessarily blame them, but it is a depressing reaction.

Glad that a camera has proven worthwhile.

Origamist

Legendary Member

If you're not innured to the contrariness, one-upmanship and general hypocrisy/cant that spews forth from cycling message boards you need to spend far less time cycling and far more time in CC's commuting section.;)

Good to hear that the video was useful to the police and possibly the CPS.

Glad that your negative experience has given an aggressive and dangerous moron an even more negative experience.

(just so's you know, if I thought I could balance in that situation I would have hit the van too)
biggrin.gif

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Number14.......... very well done and very well handled............

Thank goodness the Police took it further.....TBH the guy probably saw what he did, and realised he was a complete nut case......and fessed up.......... before anything needed the court to see evidence......... it's much messier for him if he denied it...... probably went to court with 'guilty'.........

Top Bottom