Van trying to swerve into a cyclist...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

hackbike 666 said:
That's why I have a car horn on one bike and am seriuosly considering fitting it on a fixie...The Blackfriars Bridge Vid with the mobile phone user and the power of the horn is an absolute classic.:ohmy:

The horn is different to slapping someones car...Rare that I get an agressive reaction for using the horn.

I'm not not going to hit on a car just because I think they will be offended... just like I will avoid using the horn in the car unless I really think someone doesn't know im there etc.

If i've been put in a position where I feel I needed to hit a car - I don't really give a crap about their reaction, if anything mine could be worse :angry:

BSRU

A Human Being
mike.pembo said:
warning to say "Im here, wait for me"
That is exactly what the horn is for, when I learnt to ride a motorbike we were advised to use the horn if in any doubt.

Drivers are usually shocked more than anything else if I use my horn, they do not expect such a loud noise, they're probably expecting a little tinkle.

mike.pembo said:
Opposite for me. Ive had a few where cars have pulled out, or been about to pull out, and Ive gave the horn a short toot in warning to say "Im here, wait for me" - I get a load of abuse normally along the lines of "I effin seen you didnt I".
Still, Ill continue to use the horn as Id rather get the verbal than eat bonnet.

What horn have you got?

If it is an airzound I didn't always get a positive reaction with one of those.

Also I don't really use the horn as much as I really need to.If you know what I mean.

I can go toot toot like a car horn or a constant blast.Toot toot is obviously more friendly.

I remember using it on a van at Blackfriars Bridge lights when he fell asleep at the lights and he tooted back at me...no problem and nothing aggressive...better than swearing I guess.

Crankarm

Guru
hackbike 666 said:
What horn have you got?

Also I don't really use the horn as much as I really need to.If you know what I mean.

I can go toot toot like a car horn or a constant blast.Toot toot is obviously more friendly.

I remember using it on a van at Blackfriars Bridge lights when he fell asleep at the lights and he tooted back at me...no problem and nothing aggressive...better than swearing I guess.

Should he have been driving :angry:?

Crankarm said:
Should he have been driving :ohmy:?

Better than falling asleep going along....Seriously you know what I mean.We are at the lights at Blackfriars Bridge and they have put a left hand filter in the light...so we are waiting there because van man hasn't worked it out that it applies to us.:angry:

Crankarm

Guru
hackbike 666 said:
Better than falling asleep going along....Seriously you know what I mean.We are at the lights at Blackfriars Bridge and they have put a left hand filter in the light...so we are waiting there because van man hasn't worked it out that it applies to us.:angry:

So he wasn't literally asleep, away in the land of nod?

Armegatron

hackbike 666 said:
What horn have you got?

Airzound mate. Had a similar situation where the driver infront was just stopped at the green light for ages, it was funny because my thought were beep or filter around or stop behind. Ended up just filtering around her :angry:. When I looked back she was holding up a map :ohmy:

mike.pembo said:
Airzound mate. Had a similar situation where the driver infront was just stopped at the green light for ages, it was funny because my thought were beep or filter around or stop behind. Ended up just filtering around her :angry:. When I looked back she was holding up a map :ohmy:

Thank god...I thought she had gone senile.:smile:

Airzound is a more aggressive horn while a car horn is the norm...Then again I have had my funny and some not so funny moments...will post up the Blackfriars Bridge incident.

Crankarm said:
So he wasn't literally asleep, away in the land of nod?

I don't actually know but im giving WVM the benefit of the doubt here.

Mike!

Guru
Regarding my incident, i honestly feel had i not have hit her passenger window (pretty hard i did too) I'd have been eating tarmac or maybe her car.

It's not to be used lightly but I know what i'd still do in the same situation.

Yes it's possibly going to get a bad reaction from the driver but what would they prefer? A bang on the window or the police asking questions about why they've just taken a cyclist out!

Downward

Guru
drsquirrel said:
I'd view a slap as you would a horn... use in an emergency to let someone know you are there, and not to use it in aggression.

Already said it's clean :biggrin:

Bloody hell I pay more VED on my car than that twonk does on his van.

Number14

Guru
Quick update: the driver has had a police caution for assault and the road policing unit have forwarded the file to the CPS.

Top Bottom