Van trying to swerve into a cyclist...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

I'd view a slap as you would a horn... use in an emergency to let someone know you are there, and not to use it in aggression.

Cunobelin said:
Shows up as:

Already said it's clean :biggrin:

Make VAUXHALL
Model VIVARO 2700 CDTI SWB
Transmission & fuel type MANUAL DIESEL
Body Type PANEL VAN
Colour SILVER

HN56HHC is on the Motor Insurance Database today

Date of Liability 01 11 2010
Date of First Registration 29 12 2006
Year of Manufacture 2006
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1870CC
CO2 Emissions 0g/Km
Fuel Type Heavy Oil
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour SILVER
Vehicle Type Approval N1
Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £110.00
12 Months Rate £200.00

I don't think I'd hit a van, even though the plonker deserved it but I'd be to worried I'd hurt my hand, fall off, etc

drsquirrel said:
I'd view a slap as you would a horn... use in an emergency to let someone know you are there, and not to use it in aggression.

Already said it's clean :biggrin:

The funny thing is when I blow the horn it isn't normally taken badly...I get very few negative reactions which has surprised me immensely.Also it can be used in different ways.

Oh yeah a cabbie did stop once...he did get offended when I blew it at him...We had a discussion about it...Mainly I wasn't happy about the amount of space he gave me...to which he asked "how much do you want?"....To which I replied "Lots!".

dondare

Über Member
If, when the van pulled out, you'd just slowed down and given them time rather than shouting and banging then he'd probaby have just continued on his way (and you on yours) without anyone realizing at that time what a dangerous prat he was capable of being.

barnesy

Terrible behaviour from the driver but that could have ended alot worse mate, i know he was egging you on but i would never went to the near side of that van after all of that, even the first swerve to his near side, could you not have anticipated him moving out from the junction and either slowed down or went for an overtake?

I'm a wee bit confused (as always ;-) ) as to the timing of the slap, was it before or after that first swerve. It was maybe just self defence to alert the pr@t to their presence before they were crushed. I know I've done that once with a HGV and my driver took it well when I explained.

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

Just to be clear, this isn't my video.

Apparently it's Number14's video.

I know if I couldn't brake in time I would have went around the left (whilst still trying to stop) because the van was too far right, though I reckon I could've stopped behind it.
Though that is just my oppionion on seeing the video, I know how realistically the camera just shows where your head is pointing not where your eyes or attention is focused, and that speed (before and deceleration) is not easy to gauge.

Crankarm

Guru
Why didn't number 14 either hang back and let him bugger off or alternatively quickly draw along side and inform him that the manoeuvre the van driver had just performed and subsequent behaviour was not big or clever and in fact dangerous, and to warn him that it had been recorded on camera, from the same camera that was still recording him and what ever he planned to say. Should he apologise then he wouldn't be reported to the police. Chucking the bottle a s.5 Public Order Offence for sure.

TBH I see that a lot of time and am not surprised if it happens.

Crankarm said:
Not to you I hope HB :laugh:?

Yeah same thing....they see me and go anyway....No big deal really.

I think yesterday was worse...that ped...he didn't even bother looking.

Still the good thing with that is he didn't panic when I approached.

The driver's a plank, but Number14 hasn't helped his case at all. I wouldn't have shouted initially, I wouldn't have gone up the inside at any stage, and I wouldn't have entered into a discussion about road tax.

Guvnor

User3143 said:
On the approach I would have been out another foot or so. Would have probably overtaken the van as it pulled out.

Does not excuse the driver at all, drivers like this one are amongst the very worst. I hope he crashes into a tree and some point in time and burns to death.

+1

Domestique

Über Member
Only just seen this.
I am not sure about the rights and wrongs about where you should be on the road etc, but there is some good advice in this thread about that.
If this was me I would take a copy of the video to the Police. They might not do anything, then again they might.
That van driver is a liability.

Twenty Inch said:
The driver's a plank, but Number14 hasn't helped his case at all. I wouldn't have shouted initially, I wouldn't have gone up the inside at any stage, and I wouldn't have entered into a discussion about road tax.

I may have shouted more on spur of the moment depending on how bad it was.Normally a blast on the horn is sufficient.Probably not the best place to discuss road tax either.

Top Bottom