Vango Storm 200+ tent and advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saoirse50

Veteran
Late to this thread. But caught my eye, as I am a great fan of the Vango Spirit 200+. At first I thought you meant you had got a Storm Shelter 200 one instead of the Spirit! That would have been a shock as well as a very bad deal! Depending on the kind of use you want from it, If it were me, I’d try selling the Storm and get something like the Spirit. I say depending on the use because, if you intend to do long multi day tours, lasting more than a week, then a big porch is a must. In my opinion. I use a tiny Laser tent for camping trips of a week or less. But anything more and I’d go stir crazy in it. I used the Vango Spirit 200+ for about ten years hard use. Never let in water, poles withstood winter mountain winds, never had a problem with it. And on trips like my 2000 miles Dungeness to Durness via circuits of as many Scottish islands as I could, I can’t tell you how much I valued that big porch. Especially in bad weather. When it’s pouring and blowing a Scottish gale outside for two solid days, it’s so much easier to hunker down with a bit of space around you. And whilst it’s not advisable ever to cook in a tent, of course, believe me, in that kind of weather it’s so good to have the space to do it if absolutely necessary.
So, keep the Storm if you’re just doing short tours. But, for me, if you’re planning on multi day long ones, get one with a big porch.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Thank you saoirse50! It looks like the Storm doesn't sell for much on ebay, and as I currently don't have any money spare, if I sold it I wouldn't be able to buy anything else near the quality. I'm only planning on doing one or two little tours before winter sets in. I'll see how I get on with the Storm and if it's really not suitable (mainly lack of porch size) then I will buy something else when I have enough money. I do eventually plan on doing multi-day tours and completely agree that it would be much more comfortable with a larger porch, so I'll start putting some money away for an eventual purchase.

It's not the same thing but Vango do tarps which you could use to extend the awning. I have this one, which I've used to good affect to cook under. Bit more faffing but in the short term it might serve you fine.

You can see it set up below

Xgblfg6-6_mGAAA-C1ELW-V0A_An9XVZpbNkY2HRCFx_2Lo6_3cLQ9UfyuLPrmfCCO6vte00rJmrMppp-575Q7Pi3g=w2400.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
I'll see how I get on, only a couple of this model have come up 2nd hand on ebay and sold for something like £40. It seems a good quality tent and probably worth keeping if that's all it will sell for.

If I like the tent after all and go on a long tour, I'll replace the poles with something stronger just for peace of mind.
Given your response to Crackles post, the money you might spend on a "stronger" set of poles, may be better served on one of those.

The poles aren't the weak point, as they're stronger than the tent. What ever poles you use. At least give the current tent a chance. Practice pitching it in dry weather, in your garden before using it for real. It may suprise you.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Do you mean better served on a tarp, classic33? It certainly would create quite a large space to cook or lounge around in. I will give the tent a chance. It's well made and strong, and has already kept me dry in a Yorkshire gale and rainstorm.

classic33

Leg End Member
Do you mean better served on a tarp, classic33? It certainly would create quite a large space to cook or lounge around in. I will give the tent a chance. It's well made and strong, and has already kept me dry in a Yorkshire gale and rainstorm.
That's what was meant. Or, if you decide/find that the tent doesn't meet your needs, towards another tent.

An extra set of poles won't add as much as they cost, if you decide to sell. The chances of being able to use them on a different tent are slim. Sod's Law means if you've cut them to fit one tent, they'll be to short for the next tent.

Thank you crackle, that could be just the ticket! How does it attach to your tent?
That particular tarp has a stretchy bit at the back. So you would stretch it over the entrance area, in a way which your tent will allow and tension it with the guylines and then erect the front section with pole. The only downside is that it flaps a bit in the wind because it's not part of the tent. So not ideal but it will suffice. You could do the same thing with any tarp though, it doesn't have to be that one. I'd do a bit of googling to see how inventive others have been.

Example ...

adventure-tarp-262x300.jpg

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
I like that one too Crackle, small but effective!

I take your point about the poles classic33, any money would be better spent elsewhere. Thank you!

saoirse50

Veteran
Don't know, but its a pretty basic, standard tarp. I have an old tarp thats hardly used somewhere. I could try and dig it out, see if it would suit. Working today but will look tonight, if you're interested. Would only want postage and packing cost.

Top Bottom