Vango Storm 200+ tent and advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thistler

Veteran
I was active on here a good while ago and was in the process of collecting bits and pieces for a cycle tour when I became very ill and had to give up cycling. I had a brief foray back 2-3 years ago and was taken ill again. I've been discharged from the Dr and am finally on the mend, hopefully for good. I'm planning a little tour either later this year or next spring.

Before my hiatus, I bought what was supposed to be a Vango Spirit 200+, because I wanted a roomy-ish tent with a decent size porch that could be pitched all-in-one. The all-in-one part was key for me. I am not all that concerned with weight, as losing some of the many extra kilos I carry around on my body would probably make the most difference. Slow and steady touring is what I'm after.

I went out with friends at the weekend and unpacked my tent for the very first time. I was quite dismayed to see that what I received was a Vango Storm 200+ in a Vango Spirit 200+ bag. If I am researching correctly, the Storm was quite a bit cheaper than the Spirit. I can't even remember where I bought it from, it was so long ago and the receipt was lost after several house moves. I put up the Storm the best I could following the instructions sewn in the bag, and it seems to be a very well made tent. I was able to get the inner up no problem but wasn't 100% sure how to get the outer part taught on the non-poled porch part, and I can't find any videos explaining the actual setup from the beginning. I also still have some slight mobility problems and found the tent fairly hard to get in and out of. During an overnight rain and wind storm the tent held up admirably and kept me warm and dry.

Does anyone have any long-term experience with this tent? I don't know if I should sell it while it's still relatively new and clean and get something more like what I originally wanted. My initial reaction is to just make do with this tent as I have no idea when I would be able to afford something better and it does seem to be a very decent tent. On the other hand I am so disappointed that it's not the one I ordered with a large porch, and is not an all-in-one setup. I found getting the top part on by myself in the wind to be quite difficult. I realise this is a bit of a piffling post but really would appreciate some advice.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Check though the next time that you are getting the right tent.

Yes I can't believe I was so stupid. In my defence I became bedridden not long after it arrived... and it never occured to me to contact Vango. I'm not the brightest spark sometimes. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info about this model, which makes me wonder if it was quite short lived.

Thank you for your thoughts, seeing if I can cope is probably the best thing to do.

Google Storm 300 which is the bigger version and you'll find someone pitching it. Very much looks like the flysheet needs to be pitched last, no way around that. On the plus side, it looks a strong tent. You sometimes need time to become familiar with pitching a tent efficiently so I'd give it a chance. If not, ebay and and buy another when you can.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yes I can't believe I was so stupid. In my defence I became bedridden not long after it arrived... and it never occured to me to contact Vango. I'm not the brightest spark sometimes. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info about this model, which makes me wonder if it was quite short lived.

Thank you for your thoughts, seeing if I can cope is probably the best thing to do.
It gets good reviews,

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...orm-200/3265&usg=AOvVaw3pPw2c9xPrir5pQaa9CnOd

Don't be beating yourself up!
The important thing is that you're back on your feet and getting ready to do a little touring!

I had a quick look online and the only thing I could find was less a tent and more a storm shelter.

In any case, contact Vango for the instructions and search any bike touring backpacking forums for what you can find.

Good luck!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Don't be beating yourself up!
The important thing is that you're back on your feet and getting ready to do a little touring!

I had a quick look online and the only thing I could find was less a tent and more a storm shelter.

In any case, contact Vango for the instructions and search any bike touring backpacking forums for what you can find.

Good luck!
7080.jpg

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Thank you all!

The reviews in the link above are pretty good, it seems this is a decent tent. The no all-in-one thing bothers me but I should probably do as suggested and try it out for awhile. I suppose at least it'll keep me dry until I can afford something closer to what I originally wanted. Who knows, this tent may grow on me.

classic33

Leg End Member
All in one tents have their disadvantages. You can't split, in most cases, the inner & outer after a wet night.

I've one tent that can be pitched in one, but I prefer pitching the outer, then the inner. Is the fact it pitches inner first a major problem?

My robens lodge 2, which I love, pitches inner first, then you chuck the fly over. I thought it might be a problem but in practice it isn't at all. I pack inner and outer separately. I know decathlon does some tents where inner and outer are permanently linked. I distrust such cleverness.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Thank you, you've convinced me that keeping this tent (for now at least) is the right thing to do, until I have more experience using it and seeing how I get on. I was hoping to have a tent like yours Classic33 where I could separate the inner and outer after a wet night. (which the Vango Spirit does)

Over the weekend I was trying to pitch it fast in rainy/windy Yorkshire weather. I had watched a lot of videos on how to pitch the Spirit 200+ and couldn't figure out why it wasn't going up as expected, and why it was looking more geodesic than tunnel. I wasn't sure which way the fly went on and it was flapping about in the wind, making it more confusing. It'll probably be fine once I've used it a few times. I'm probably not over the disappointment yet of not getting what I wanted and paid for, or the feeling of stupidity for not having opened the tent earlier.

Who knows, it may turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thank you, you've convinced me that keeping this tent (for now at least) is the right thing to do, until I have more experience using it and seeing how I get on. I was hoping to have a tent like yours Classic33 where I could separate the inner and outer after a wet night. (which the Vango Spirit does)

Over the weekend I was trying to pitch it fast in rainy/windy Yorkshire weather. I had watched a lot of videos on how to pitch the Spirit 200+ and couldn't figure out why it wasn't going up as expected, and why it was looking more geodesic than tunnel. I wasn't sure which way the fly went on and it was flapping about in the wind, making it more confusing. It'll probably be fine once I've used it a few times. I'm probably not over the disappointment yet of not getting what I wanted and paid for, or the feeling of stupidity for not having opened the tent earlier.

Who knows, it may turn out to be a blessing in disguise.
There is a line in one of those reviews that says the fly only fits one way round.

I think you've made the right decision thistler to try/enjoy it first.*

As for getting the fly on the right way round I'm sure you'll work out a trick. I initially had issues with my Robens Lodge (also geodesic/dome) getting the fly on so that the doors on the inner and outer (it has two) were lined up. Somethijg in this befuddled my brain until I figured that it was easier to line up the vents - then the doors were automatically in the right place.

* I also have a Vango Spirit 200 +. Quite a nice tent but it has had certain issues with pole breakages and unlike my Robens it is not freestanding. The Robens also has two doors (your "imposter" tent has as well I think?) and I much prefer this over the Spirit 200's entry system. With all the junk I have it means I sometimes have to half clamber over bits of stuff in the porch. You also can't lie in the Spirit 200 admiring the scenery with a glass of something in the same way as the Robens - the entrance is offset - you do a right angle turn to get into the inner.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Yes there are two doors. It sounds like the Spirit may not have been the tent for me, and am hoping this one will grow on me. I don't know when I'll have the chance to use it again, I am in need of rear panniers, a little stove, and a warm, wide sleeping bag before I go anywhere in it again. I used a quilt over the weekend and it wasn't warm enough.

Top Bottom