Vango Storm 200+ tent and advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
If you are considering another tent, consider everything you'll be carrying as another person when it comes to sizing.

Same rule if intended for two, but everything being carried between the two is another person.

classic33

Leg End Member

Crankarm

Guru
Was the Storm 200+ new? As some one might have pulled a fast one by ordering a Spirit 200+ swapping it for their Storm 200+ and then returning it. The retailer then didn't check so didn't realise they had been scammed and then sent it out to you when you ordered a Spirit 200+. It happens quite a lot on Amazon. Just saw a video this week where some one ordered a Canon 1D Mk 4 over $5000 with other Canon Pro lenses, but what came was a very light camera box, seal broken and clearly what should have been a brand new camera and all associated docs, leads, etc was in fact all a mess and a really old Canon Ti Rebel camera and crappy kit lens!!! Suffice to say the guy was not happy or impressed. Fortunately Amazon dealt with it swiftly and send him another and he returned the pile of junk that some one had scammed Amazon with. Where the scam actually happened is anyone's guess. Inside Amazon itself, dispatch, courier ......... any one's guess.

Anyway the tent you actually have might actually be a better one than the Spirit 200+ as I remember looking at this one for a short time because of the large porch but decided against as it was just too heavy. I saw a Vango Force 10 storm tent a couple of weeks ago whilst camping in Wales and I have to say I was impressed. Fully Geodesic and very light and quite expensive looking as well. Whether your Storm 200+ was a forebear I don't know but I think it is probably a better tent than the Spirit range which I think are now discontinued anyway, but maybe wrong. Vango do some good budget conscious tents. I have a Mirage 200 which is self supporting and I like but it's a bit heavy. But now I have MSR tents which are fully self supporting and so easy and quick to put up and take down. My pick is the MSR Elixir 2. Great for cycle touring, plenty of space, two doors and two large porches to store panniers and gear. Can pitch inner first or fly if raining, can pitch inner only and sleep under the stars if that's what you want to do on a fine warm night. Highly recommended.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Thank you for the replies! Yes I wouldn't be surprised if someone pulled a switch with the tent. It was new but I have absolutely no idea where I bought it from. As I have a working tent, I am going to put getting anything else out of my mind and concentrate on stuff I truly need. After using it for a few tours, I will know if it works out for me or at least what kinds of things I want/don't want in a new tent. As Classic33 has said (or inferred?) I need to have actual experience touring to figure out what's working or not working for me.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thank you for the replies! Yes I wouldn't be surprised if someone pulled a switch with the tent. It was new but I have absolutely no idea where I bought it from. As I have a working tent, I am going to put getting anything else out of my mind and concentrate on stuff I truly need. After using it for a few tours, I will know if it works out for me or at least what kinds of things I want/don't want in a new tent. As Classic33 has said (or inferred?) I need to have actual experience touring to figure out what's working or not working for me.
It was more a case of once you've used it, even in your own garden, you'll have a better idea of whether the tent you have suits your needs/requirements. Is the current tent too big/too small? Compare any other against it then for future needs.

Also don't be led too much by what the marketing department have to say about them. It's their job to make you want to buy it. Don't be afraid to ask questions in the shop before buying either.

I've one tent that's over 30 years old that's still in use. Size 21/2 people. In use a large one man tent.

T, I may find a way to cook in the teensy porch,

I rate hobbes's posts a lot but to be honest would never cook inside any tent or its porch. Isn't hobbes (may be apocryphal) responsible for the phrase about life being nasty, brutish and short? If the weather is too nasty to cook I'm inclined to enjoy the sound of rain on the tent and sit it out inside with a bottle of wine, a supply of peanuts and snacks and a good e/book.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've used these
$_86.jpg

Vango Odssey Micro 3, and used the porch either side for cooking in. It's bigger brother, Micro 4?, is the current multi-person tent.

The point is worth keeping in mind though. You've 90 seconds before it's burnt to the ground, once it catches.

Whoah! I never intended to cook inside the tent!
I reread my post & can see where it could be read that way....so apologies.

All I meant was to use the porch for shelter for me..... the stove goes outside.

The type of porch @classic33 shows above is perfect.

The porch of the Robens tent mentioned is a big improvement on a traditional tunnel tent because the chef can be inside & protected from the elements (but the stove still outside!). In a traditional tunnel, if it's windy & wet you've got the weather on top of you sitting in an open porch.

Isn't hobbes (may be apocryphal) responsible for the phrase about life being nasty, brutish and short? If the weather is too nasty to cook I'm inclined to enjoy the sound of rain on the tent and sit it out inside with a bottle of wine, a supply of peanuts and snacks and a good e/book.

While I agree that the rain hitting the fly can be a wonderful sound, my experience is that those nights are exactly the nights I appreciate something warm.

And as for Hobbes.....
HobbesOnTour.JPG

He's not responsible for much! ^_^ And he has a great life..... he gets to visit lots of places, while I do all the work^_^

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I had a Vango *Hydra 200+. No longer made, but the ‘+’ denoted that the vestibule was slightly larger than the vestibule on the standard model.

It was about 15 years old and one aluminium pole needed a splint where it finally fatigued. Then the groundsheet lost it’s waterproof ability. Then I started collecting more tents and still am.

*Edit: Remembered the model name.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
I'll see how I get on, only a couple of this model have come up 2nd hand on ebay and sold for something like £40. It seems a good quality tent and probably worth keeping if that's all it will sell for.

If I like the tent after all and go on a long tour, I'll replace the poles with something stronger just for peace of mind.

Top Bottom