Vango Storm 200+ tent and advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good stuff.

I'd advise taking some stuff to repair the tent if the worst should happen - a bit of duct tape, a spare pole section (Vangos are pretty standard I think), a hacksaw blade (no need for the handle) to shorten the spare section. Spare pole sections are easily available from ebay - I had a whole pole in sections threaded though my letter box. The standard Vango metal poles aren't that good so I reckon after market poles will be just as good. Some Vango tents have enhanced poles though - these days those versions of tents are labelled Plus I tink.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Some Vango tents have enhanced poles though - these days those versions of tents are labelled Plus I tink.
Mine is the Storm 200+... does that mean I have enhanced poles? Does enhanced mean they are higher quality?

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
what does "plus spec" mean, and does that suggest I won't need to worry so much about the poles being fragile? I couldn't find any info about it with a google search.

I'm also reading that the older Vango tents seemed to be better quality than some that are being produced now. I would think this tent is at least 8-10 years old. Maybe this mixup really was a good thing.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
The quality of the tents isn't as good as it used to be, personal opinion.

If the poles are different colours, do any of the tube tunnels have similar marking. Usually Vango had different colours for different places. 6 -7 mm for the smaller, less stressed poles.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
I can't find any markings on the poles except for two little indents on each piece. They feel like they are nice quality but I am no tent pole expert. Would an 8 - 10 yr old Vango tent be of better quality than what is being sold today?

20180821_210033.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
I can't find any markings on the poles except for two little indents on each piece. They feel like they are nice quality but I am no tent pole expert. Would an 8 - 10 yr old Vango tent be of better quality than what is being sold today?

View attachment 426205
With regards the pole markings, it was just a piece of advice. Pitching in the safety/luxury of your garden is one thing, the end of a wet/windy day is different. It's a mark applied by you to help you remember which end to feed through first. The indents in the poles is only to keep the inner sleeve in place.

My only concern is that Vango have colour coded the poles for a reason. Find out where the odd pole goes, whilst in the comfort of your house. One thing they have done in the past is colour coded where the poles go. Usually a small piece, of the same colour material on the ends of the pole sleeves.

The bit about marking the poles is up to yourself. I did it following someone "who knew what he was doing", ruining a £400 tent on its first outing. Fed it the wrong way, realised, then just pulled the pole out. Tearing the flysheet in the process. Whilst in a rush to get the tent up and inside it.

As for older tents being better, my opinion is they are. Materials are getting lighter and some companies are trading on their previous reputations.

Some Vango tents have enhanced poles though - these days those versions of tents are labelled Plus I tink.
Mine is the Storm 200+... does that mean I have enhanced poles? Does enhanced mean they are higher quality?

Sorry, the word I was looking for was "Pro".

As in here.

https://www.millets.co.uk/tents-cam...VjpTtCh3_awGOEAQYASABEgIAtfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

A version of the long running banshee but with, if you look at the specs, substantially better poles. Pro version tents also tend to have tougher fly sheets as well I think.

Your tent seems to have standard poles from what I can see (the Pro range is I think a recent, and welcome, innovation. Those "dimples" are actually a weak point. Common point of failure. But I stress that the poles aren't substandard as such - just Vango's norma OKish at best poles. Hence the advisability of packing spares and repair stuff. And a repair splint.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Thank you! The three sets of blue poles are all the same length/diameter and the sleeves for them are clearly marked on the fly sheet. The purple one is for a little porch and it also has markings for where it's to go. The inner wasn't all that hard to put up, it was the fly that was giving me big problems in the wind.

I'm wavering again as aside from the all-in-one pitching, I wanted a porch big enough to cook in and store gear. I am the only one in the tent (it's not large enough for two people, unless they are very tiny) and I brought my clothes etc. into the inner beside me but it was cramped. There is a little porch in the Storm but it's not big enough to be truly useful, and we did our cooking inside my friend's campervan. I'm not after a massive heavy tent but space and comfort is far more important to me than being ultra-light - the tunnel style of the Spirit 200+ seemed ideal.

I don't know anything about Robens but this seems just the ticket:
https://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/robens-trail-voyager-2ex-tent?nosto=nosto-page-product1

Last edited:
Thank you! The three sets of blue poles are all the same length/diameter and the sleeves for them are clearly marked on the fly sheet. The purple one is for a little porch and it also has markings for where it's to go. The inner wasn't all that hard to put up, it was the fly that was giving me big problems in the wind.

I'm wavering again as aside from the all-in-one pitching, I wanted a porch big enough to cook in and store gear. I am the only one in the tent (it's not large enough for two people, unless they are very tiny) and I brought my clothes etc. into the inner beside me but it was cramped. There is a little porch in the Storm but it's not big enough to be truly useful, and we did our cooking inside my friend's campervan. I'm not after a massive heavy tent but space and comfort is far more important to me than being ultra-light - the tunnel style of the Spirit 200+ seemed ideal.

I don't know anything about Robens but this seems just the ticket:
https://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/robens-trail-voyager-2ex-tent?nosto=nosto-page-product1

The disadvantages of all in one pitching were highlighted earlier.
Having purchased a tent myself where all in one was an important factor, i wouldn't make it an important factor again. In fact, I'd make sure that it was easy to remove and attach the inner.

The cooking/storage space is also important for me.
The Robens you've highlighted above will certainly meet those requirements.
The disadvantage of a regular Tunnel tent is that they are pitched into the wind, so to cook in the porch you're relatively exposed - especially in the foulest of weather. Your Robens (above) seems to have that covered with the side door.

My first impression is that it's very big for 1 person - but that's what you want!
There's certainly lighter tents, but you're not worried about the weight.

Tent anxiety is a terrible thing!
Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about poles unless I was going to be away for a long time/away from civilisation, then I'd consider an upgrade or picking up a couple of spare sections. My unscientific view is that a lot of pole breaks occur because a tent is pitched incorrectly or not guyed out properly.
Very few tents go up easily the first time. A bit of practise helps - a lot. There are lots of inner first tents - you can't be the only one with this problem.

At the end of the day, though, the tent should do what you want it to do. If it doesn't, then it's time to look at a new tent.

Just to throw something else into the mix if you are looking at a new tent,
In tents that are fly first, or all in one pitches, it is possible to "drop" the inner (or part of it) to the ground, increasing your usable space under the fly for, for example, cooking.
When you've eaten & cleaned up, put the inner back up.
You've got space for your gear under the fly, can cook, then put your bedroom into action.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Thank you again. I should have said I want a tent that can be pitched all-in-one, or fly first - where the inner attaches with straps but can be undone if necessary to keep it dry or make more space as you've described above. I'm not interested in one where the inner is permanently attached to the fly.

I'll keep this tent for the time being as I don't have the funds for anything else. It may grow on me, I may find a way to cook in the teensy porch, hopefully I can arrange my stuff so it all fits and stays dry. It's certainly a decent tent and will enable me to go on a little tour.

I'll keep an eye out for a second-hand tent that is closer to what I want and try to get over my tent anxiety! :blush:

Top Bottom