Vaping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I used to smoke, never gave anything. I was more addicted to the habit than the nicotine which is harder to break

The tobacco industry is turning its hand to vaping as posted before without providing any evidence of benefits or not

Vaping is not only used as a means to quit a life long tobacco habit, it is also being taken up by young non smokers, look at vape lounges

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I used to smoke, never gave anything. I was more addicted to the habit than the nicotine which is harder to break

The tobacco industry is turning its hand to vaping as posted before without providing any evidence of benefits or not

I'm not surprised!
Their profits are being attacked, they're duty bound to try and find an alternative market. And, being ideally placed to tap into vaping, it would make sense.
So, they're being forced to research an alternative product, which so far, has no proven health risks? I'm struggling to see the problem with that, personally.

vickster

Legendary Member
On the other hand, people seem to view it as innocuous when there is also zero evidence that it isn't harmful, either the process of inhaling or the active ingredient as TMN indicated

I'd be quite happy to see tobacco companies go out of business

I am not sure that people are unable to give up smoking due to an insurmountable nicotine addiction, more that they don't actually want to but feel they should try for whatever reason

Panter

Just call me Chris...
On the other hand, people seem to view it as innocuous when there is also zero evidence that is isn't harmful

I'd be quite happy to see tobacco companies go out of business

Me too! But, when faced with the destructiveness of tobacco, I just don't understand dismissing something because of lack of evidence that it isn't safe.
It;s also harmful (in my opinion) to spread the propaganda started by big pharma to dissuade people from trying vaping when it could (as studies suggest) be a significant life saver.

vickster

Legendary Member
cessation of nicotine use should surely be the aim rather than just replacing it with something. As you say NRT doesn't work, so what is vaping if not a different form of NRT?

Panter

Just call me Chris...
cessation of nicotine use should surely be the aim rather than just replacing it with something. As you say NRT doesn't work, so what is vaping if not a different form of NRT?

I totally agree!
Vaping is a replacement for smoking. Some research suggests that nicotine (on its own, without the added synergists) is nowhere as addictive as first thought.
Personally, my aim is to quit completely. I'm on the lowest strength nicotine I can get, I also have a decent stock of 0mg liquid to dilute that down and gently wean myself off it. Some vapours have absolutely no intention of quitting, but they had no intention of stopping smoking either so they're just continuing to use nicotine without the harm of continuing smoking.
But, personally, I want to stop and as I have a string of failed quits going back for Years and Years, this is working for me so I'd rather just gently work myself away from it rather than suffer all the trauma of stopping smoking.

EDIT: I missed that bit about vaping being a gateway, sorry.

http://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/n...11-27_ons-challenges-vaping-as-a-gateway.html

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I go back to my first point that is should be a short term aid to quitting, however, one poster in this thread seems to have no intention of doing so. Gives the wrong message to the OP IMO, who should be aware that the risks of vaping have not been proven or disproven

I read Allen Carrs book, seemed to work for me for about 7 years. I did fall off the wagon for 6 months stupidly but quit again over 5 years ago and now I can't abide tobacco in any form

Don't see the point, why not chew the gum? Surely it's cheaper too?

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I think I would be concerned that it is just swapping one addiction for another one, plus no one knows if they are harmful or not.

I stopped smoking using patches 7 years ago in January and I save a small fortune by not smoking and I am in better shape fitness wise than I was in my 20's and I am 50. The secret is you have to want to quit if you don't want to you will never kick the habit no matter what you try. Looking back I cant believe I was stupid enough to smoke for over 30 years :headshake:

Dont forget years ago they used to have adverts promoting the benefits of smoking :laugh:

Top Bottom