Varia rear light worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ive several lights that don't have a regular flash then. A smart light that increases flashing if it detects traffic and another one that's meant to beat like a heartbeat.

nobody gets stopped for having lights like this.

I'd much rather be visible than have a crappy weak light that complies with the regulations that nobody looks at.

dunno why I'm in bold.

classic33

Leg End Member
Who here had flashing lights on their bike before 2005?
I know I did, and no-one in a position to stop me from using them did so. The flashing rate is there in the 1989 RVLR, and the wording is exactly the same as it is in the current regulations. How can that be correct, if flashing lights, fitted to pedal cycles, only became legal in 2005.

The same regulations cover motor vehicles and the indicators fitted. There's indicators in use on some vehicles that don't flash, the light pattern moving from the inside to the outside. Not actually flashing.
Where are the rotating amber beacons that utility vehicles are supposed to have fitted? It's now strobe lights, which under currently regulations are illegal. As for blue flashing lights being the preserve of emergency vehicles, you're just as likely to see them fitted to vehicles doing roadworks. One national company has fitted its whole fleet of site vehicles with flashing blue lights. No-one has had a word in the drivers ear and told him/her it's illegal. No-one in a position to do anything about it at least.

If it's the flash rate that annoys you, complain/moan to those who can do something about it. Don't use it as a diversionary tactic to say that the whole idea is wrong. Don't like the idea of extra help, don't use it.

I know I did, and no-one in a position to stop me from using them did so. The flashing rate is there in the 1989 RVLR, and the wording is exactly the same as it is in the current regulations. How can that be correct, if flashing lights, fitted to pedal cycles, only became legal in 2005.

The same regulations cover motor vehicles and the indicators fitted. There's indicators in use on some vehicles that don't flash, the light pattern moving from the inside to the outside. Not actually flashing.
Where are the rotating amber beacons that utility vehicles are supposed to have fitted? It's now strobe lights, which under currently regulations are illegal. As for blue flashing lights being the preserve of emergency vehicles, you're just as likely to see them fitted to vehicles doing roadworks. One national company has fitted its whole fleet of site vehicles with flashing blue lights. No-one has had a word in the drivers ear and told him/her it's illegal. No-one in a position to do anything about it at least.

If it's the flash rate that annoys you, complain/moan to those who can do something about it. Don't use it as a diversionary tactic to say that the whole idea is wrong. Don't like the idea of extra help, don't use it.

Isn't it the flashing rate though? Irregular intervals. Not that it matters though cos nobody's getting done for it.

Adam4868

Guru
I allways have a flashing rear light on my bike.Maybe its the law but I can't help thinking it's not the crime of the century.

AlanW

Guru
I allways have a flashing rear light on my bike.Maybe its the law but I can't help thinking it's not the crime of the century.

100% agree, I'm sure Police resources are stretched enough without plod stood by the side of the road counting how many times a rear cycle light flashes.

Plus, and of course I might be wrong, but Im also fairly sure that a cyclist with no lights would attract more attention from plod than someone with a light that was flashing to many times?

Adam4868

Guru
100% agree, I'm sure Police resources are stretched enough without plod stood by the side of the road counting how many times a rear cycle light flashes.

Plus, and of course I might be wrong, but Im also fairly sure that a cyclist with no lights would attract more attention from plod than someone with a light that was flashing to many times?
The police are that stretched I doubt they give either the slightest regard.Plenty of kids doing 40 plus mph with no lights round here.A flashing light would be a blessing !

Alex321

Veteran

Because that part of the 1989 regulations was amended by the 2005 regulations.

This is the original regulations
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/10/made

And his is the amended regulations
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/10

Not sure just how "flashing" is defined for that purpose. Without further checking which I don't have time for right now, I'm not quite sure whether those are legal or not.

That last one I find very surprising indeed.

It doesn't annoy me at all, I was just pointing out that technically it is illegal. I would hope there is an option to turn off that feature.

Mike_P

Guru
It does have a fixed light option; not quite sure what happens when something approaches.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I missed this thread bubbling away here. I've ridden with one of these for a few years now. A lot of miles. My view is precisely that of @Sea of vapours
It's about increasing situational awareness. It's not a replacement for listening, looking around or using a mirror; it's an addition to those things. Of those things, it's the one I'd give up first, but that doesn't mean it's not adding information quite a lot of the time, especially in areas with relatively little traffic where you might not naturally be checking behind you every few seconds.

I'd tend more towards saying it's useful rather than safer. It may be safer, I can't say. It's definitely useful. I use a mirror too.

(I feel a bit nostalgic for the days when mentioning mirrors on bikes would bring @Drago out swinging)

Interesting snippet about the variable flash rate regulation from @mjr Interesting to know but I don't intend to worry about it.

classic33

Leg End Member
Question for those that use this or similar rear lights.

Is it your primary rear light or your secondary rear light?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The police are that stretched I doubt they give either the slightest regard.Plenty of kids doing 40 plus mph with no lights round here.A flashing light would be a blessing !

Yes, there aren't enough traffic police to enforce the regs.

But I still don't use variable flash rate lights because they're annoying and I strongly suspect ineffective.

You are handing another thing to bike bashers that they can moan about whenever spending a pittance on cycling is proposed.

And I bet variable flash would get used as an argument to reduce a compensation payout, with more legitimacy than some arguments used.

Top Bottom