Varia rear light worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Absolutely this!
It will often warn me of a car approaching well before I hear it.
As I wrote above, that gives you options on behaviour: approaching a brow of a hill or other unsafe place to be overtaken? Move out a bit, perhaps wobble to make the driver nervous.
@mjr - note the light flashing changes when cars approach: that will inevitably be more likely to catch they eye of a driver than a steady pattern. I’m not sure what kind of evidence you are expecting for this kind of device, but watch some reviews from experienced cyclists: they will confirm the value. For example:
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LSToPKFwZMw

Mirrors are obviously a cheap option, but only give limited view, only ‘warn’ you when you peer into them, and are also tricky to fit on bars like mine, with the brilliant Ergon GP5 ends.

@Slick - let us know your thoughts after you’ve tried them: I think you got a bargain 👍

Its still in the box, but I will certainly let you know. :okay:

Petrichorwheels

Don’t feed the troll 🤣
Some people form their views of devices based on the need to argue, when they have never used it.
No point trying to explain: they will always bring up some whataboutery to deflect the opposing, fact-based reasoned view.

As per @Mike_P above, “there does not seem to be a group saying they have one and find it pointless.”

It is a daft price, so it it entirely normal that most people don’t have one. That £50 reduction was spectacular: although price runner shows it available for £129. What you don’t have, you don’t miss, but, as I said originally, all reviews I read were by people saying they wouldn’t ride without it now.

To my mind, it is (almost) the cycling equivalent of adaptive cruise control - where it keeps the car a distance from one’s in front, even if they lower their speed. Great safety device, I wouldn’t do without it on a daily driver, but had I never had one, I would have remained perfectly happy with normal cruise control. Others who don’t have it will feel it is an unnecessary luxury, & raise concerns over it failing.

not trolling at all - my honest view - you know honest views that exist like in the offline non-techie arena - don't feel i need it - agree with @Mo1959 - the dangers lie elsewhere beyond the current range of tech - am not tech averse - I have 3 garmin etrexes (2 are spares) and was an extremely early adopter of mobile data before most folks realised it was even possible - just feel no need for this - enjoy your cycling.
(but do feel free to alert me when any upgrade will alert a rider to black ice or a pothole on a middle of the night dark country lane)

Last edited:

mikeIow

Guru
I may be interested if it can display the eyes of the driver behind.
Plus extra info - like what's playing on their in-car sound system/how they are feeling - alert/angry? chilled? too chilled?

Not trolling?
Re-read your response here: reads like a load of whataboutery nonsense to me 🤷‍♂️

Never ceases to amuse me when people have ‘honest views’ of kit they have never used. 🤣

Come back when you’ve tried it - as others have suggested - then explain all the reasons you would chose not to use one.

Or feel free to ignore the thread: nobody is forcing anyone to try this 🍻

It is not a replacement for eyes & ears & good cycling habits, but it is a flippin’ great addition….as everyone who uses it has said. Sure, it costs a chunk of money - which was why that short-lived deal was extra great. Good kit sometimes does 😉

Petrichorwheels

hell's teeth. (to a post at 00;55 in the depths of the night)
Am not in the habit of re-reading my own posts - seems the height of vanity to me.
but I took up your kind invitation.
It seems I dared to post as my intro:
>>can't help but be doubtful about this thing to be honest.
shock horror

not trolling - honest thoughts/musings.
Various views exist on all sorts of things in this merry world - and discussions should not be zero-sum games.

I do know that ONE of the signs of the argumentative on the web is scattering of piccies, often yellow.
as I said I am not anti tech at all - I very often wander around with five separate bits of comms/positioning tech* - six if you count my dumbphone - you may think this bonkers - but I definitely wouldn't get defensive/aggressive if you did.
I also very often ride around with tech in my panniers on day rides - ditto I am not going to go ballistic if you have a different opinion/practice/habit.

As to the nice folk (not being sarky) who suggested I try one, don't think I can - if I understand correctly you need a compatible Garmin and am pretty sure that mine isn't. And anyways that in itself would put me off. Personally I stress.
* none of that tells me who/what is behind me I confess.

enjoy your cycling - may your rear remain untouched.
seems the OP went for one - all the best to them.

AlanW

Guru
I have good hearing and have never yet had a vehicle come up behind me that I wasn't aware of.

Really, you must be the only cyclist ever that has said that?? That aside, trust me, with more electric vehicles on the road, you need all the help you can get as to what is coming up behind you.

I've had my Varia rear light a couple of years now, and I don't think anyone in their right mind would say that they rely on it a 100%, that would be stupid and very dangerous. But it is very useful addition to your own inbuilt sensors just to give you some advance warning way before your hearing would ever pick it up.

Had mine for about 3yrs. In that time have on occasion gone for a ride and forgotten:

- gloves
- food
- phone
- helmet (don’t ask how)
- front light
- and spare stuff

For some reason I’ve never forgotten my Varia though 😉

Quite impressive.
I remember a mate of mine setting off with no lens in his Oakley frames one day.

Quite impressive.
I remember a mate of mine setting off with no lens in his Oakley frames one day.

The most embarrassing one was the helmet. Put my cycling cap and rode off to a club ride and upon arriving got some strange looks. Of course I was convinced it was on my head as I could feel the cap🤣.

But as others have said wouldn’t leave home without the Varia though unless I’m on my MTB

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Really, you must be the only cyclist ever that has said that?? That aside, trust me, with more electric vehicles on the road, you need all the help you can get as to what is coming up behind you.
Electric vehicles are still hella noisy with their added weight pushing their big tyres down. I usually hear the general road noise of cars before a modern little petrol engine anyway, even with my damaged hearing, but I don't ride with headphones in, or with noise-making straps in front of my ears, unlike many "serious" riders.

Alex321

Veteran
Felt slightly odd the way the discussion turned to illegal flashing, & of course any person is entitled to think the device isn't for them. Suffice to say that Garmin are not total charlatans & I doubt they would sell you an illegal light:wacko:

I think lights which can automatically change the rate of flash are probably legal in some jurisdictions. Just not in the UK.

And if you can turn off that function, the light will be perfectly legal.

My rear light (cateye) has several different flashing options, some of which would be illegal to use on the road. But that doesn't make the light itself illegal so long as I don't use those options.

Alex321

Veteran
sorry -
You have kinda confirmed to me that it's not a lot of use/potentially dangerous if folk start to rely on it even for an initial check (one step away from disaster)

I don't think you understood what he was saying.

So long as it is signalling something coming, you don't even bother looking because you know it won't be safe to turn. Once the signal shows celar THEN you check over your shoulder to see if it really is clear before making the move.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I think lights which can automatically change the rate of flash are probably legal in some jurisdictions. Just not in the UK.

My rear light (cateye) has several different flashing options, some of which would be illegal to use on the road. But that doesn't make the light itself illegal so long as I don't use those options.
There are two types of legality.
The only lights that it's actually illegal to use at all are blue lights, red front lights, and white rear lights.

There are lots of other lights that aren't sufficient to be legal on their own, but are perfectly OK to use in addition to another light that is legal on its own.
I use the Varia, with its variable flashing rate, in addition to a dynamo light, and am perfectly legal.

Alex321

Veteran
There are two types of legality.
The only lights that it's actually illegal to use at all are blue lights, red front lights, and white rear lights.

There are lots of other lights that aren't sufficient to be legal on their own, but are perfectly OK to use in addition to another light that is legal on its own.
I use the Varia, with its variable flashing rate, in addition to a dynamo light, and am perfectly legal.

And just why do you believe the law, as quoted previously here, doesn't apply?

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 (as amended) are quite clear:
Schedule 10, part I, para 12(b)
"(b) In the case of a rear position lamp capable of emitting a flashing light which is fitted to—
(i)a pedal cycle; or
(ii)a trailer drawn by, or a sidecar attached to, a pedal cycle
the light shown by the lamp when flashing shall be displayed not less than 60 nor more than 240 equal times per minute and the intervals between each display of light shall be constant".

Then in part II of that schedule (relating to optional lamps):
"Any number may be fitted and the only requirements prescribed by these Regulations in respect of any which are fitted are those specified in paragraphs 7 and 12(b) of Part I."

So optional (additional) lights still have to comply with para 12(b).

The only legal way to have it flashing at a variable rate is if it is attached to you, rather than to the bike.

Top Bottom