Vegan sausages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Veganism is a pain in the arse, or in my case the toe and the knee. Most stuff is made from Soy. Soy gives me gout and it's now in everything. Bread, sausage, chocalate farking trifle, Belgian farking chocolate cake. wtf!!
Off topic but what have you found relieves gout ? Tomatoes ? My dad sufferes from it,and when he gets it we suffer his moods as well !

That's my point. It was, frankly, a rubbish sausage.

I assume these are targeted at people like me who fancy a meat free alternative?

I don't have any vegan friends to ask but I would have thought vegans would prefer the food to not look like meat?
Cheap mass produced sausages are disgusting whether made from meat or substitutes. Pay more to get better.

Salar

A fish out of water
Me and my much better half are vegetarians and we sometimes buy veggie sausauges, some are good, some awful.

But we never consider them as a sausage, just as stated above a quick convenience food to have with a baked potato etc.

The best though are Glamorgan sausages, traditionally made with cheese, leeks, potato, spices and breadcrumbs, which originated when people couldn't afford or get meat.

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
Some do want it to look like meat though,the vast majority used to eat meat before.They don't want to be classed as awkward I guess.I asked and was told "they didn't give up meat because of the taste,it's more for the ethics"

Off topic but what have you found relieves gout ? Tomatoes ? My dad sufferes from it,and when he gets it we suffer his moods as well !
Well you can take the hard stuff, allopurinol but unfortunately it and I don't get on. I take cherry extract, flax seed capsules and vitamin C. I stay hydrated and avoid trigger foods with high purine levels. Since doing all that I've cut down dramatically on attacks and when I get one it's nowhere near as painful as it used to be.

Katherine

Guru
So nowt to do with the humongous quantities of cheese and red wine you consume then?
Gout is a much misunderstood condition.
We have gout sufferers in the family - it is hereditary.

"Gout occurs when urate crystalsaccumulate in your joint, causing the inflammation and intense pain of agout attack. Urate crystals can form when you have high levels of uric acidin your blood. ... But sometimes either your body produces too much uric acidor your kidneys excrete too little uric acid.1 Mar 2019
Gout - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic"

It's not just wine and red meat that are problematic. (cheese and diary are fine)
Finding non meat products that don't have soya, mushrooms or cauliflower in, is really hard.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Wine is actually the gout sufferers friend. It's nowhere near as bad as beer, especially strong beer. Of course not everyone is the same. It goes without saying that cheese is best consumed in huge quantities by everyone.
I'm struggling to think of a condition more "Wirral" than gout. I'm guessing you have an extensive gout support network on the peninsula

I'm struggling to think of a condition more "Wirral" than gout
Dispair?

Dave7

Legendary Member
Me and my much better half are vegetarians and we sometimes buy veggie sausauges, some are good, some awful.

But we never consider them as a sausage, just as stated above a quick convenience food to have with a baked potato etc.

The best though are Glamorgan sausages, traditionally made with cheese, leeks and breadcrumbs, which originated when people couldn't afford or get meat.
Where do you uy them from?

Dave7

Legendary Member
Like @nickyboy we are meat eaters but going off 'meat' sausages.....mainly because of the excessive fat etc in them.
We both enjoy Cauldron veggie sausages. They cook well, have little fat and (dare I say) actually look like a sausage should IMO of course.

Last edited:

byegad

Legendary Member
Gout is a much misunderstood condition.
We have gout sufferers in the family - it is hereditary.

"Gout occurs when urate crystalsaccumulate in your joint, causing the inflammation and intense pain of agout attack. Urate crystals can form when you have high levels of uric acidin your blood. ... But sometimes either your body produces too much uric acidor your kidneys excrete too little uric acid.1 Mar 2019
Gout - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic"

It's not just wine and red meat that are problematic. (cheese and diary are fine)
Finding non meat products that don't have soya, mushrooms or cauliflower in, is really hard.

Yes, I love mushrooms, sadly they make me spectacularly sick. So any veggie alternative that substitutes fungi for meat is a no, no for me. Luckily I like a good rare steak, hold the mushrooms!

Adam4868

Guru
I drunk 4 pints of Samual Smith's organic lager on Friday evening in our local.Id have eaten anything available after.I didn't feel all healthy yesterday morning either.

Top Bottom