Vehicles parked in front of the drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
We walk to school and on the residential road the school is on we often see people coming out off their drive to park their car across their own dropped kerb drive so they know they can get come and go if they need to as they know it will be blocked by someone at some point on the school run. This also makes me sad.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I've no driveway but there is one set of steps that the next door neighbour and I must share to enter/exit our houses.
The last neighbour used to routinely park so her driver side door was directly inline with the steps so she could get out and go straight up them without having to walk a whole extra 4 feet down the side of her car.
I politely explained that doing this made it difficult for me to get the bike in and out and that I wasn't insured should the 50lb lump slip from my grasp and plummet into the side of her car. She didnt do it again.
Then I got a new neighbour. She was doing the exact same bloody thing and I saw red. It's not just a bike issue. In the past on several occasions I've required an ambulance and had furniture/big items delivered. No good if there's no access. Sooooo...
I bought a sign on Amazon and zip tied it to the fence post on my side. In big red capital letters. "DO NOT BLOCK ACCESS".
It's been clear since :biggrin:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Absolutely not true! You may all have driveways where you are live but many houses round here do not have gardens or drives ... (Think Coronation St!)
There's a Coronation Street near to where i live(about 10 minutes walk away).http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/BB6/Coronation-Street.html
The street is choc a bloc with cars after 5 pm and most weekends. Compared to the fictitious Coronation Street where there are hardly any cars parked up,whatever time of day. According to rumour,Leslie Duxbury who was one of the creators of Coronation Street was in the Park Hotel one day,which is across the road from Coronation Street. He was looking for a title for the new program,then he saw the street's name and decided to use that.

Just thought i'd mention it.:okay:

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I've no driveway but there is one set of steps that the next door neighbour and I must share to enter/exit our houses.
The last neighbour used to routinely park so her driver side door was directly inline with the steps so she could get out and go straight up them without having to walk a whole extra 4 feet down the side of her car.
I politely explained that doing this made it difficult for me to get the bike in and out and that I wasn't insured should the 50lb lump slip from my grasp and plummet into the side of her car. She didnt do it again.
Then I got a new neighbour. She was doing the exact same bloody thing and I saw red. It's not just a bike issue. In the past on several occasions I've required an ambulance and had furniture/big items delivered. No good if there's no access. Sooooo...
I bought a sign on Amazon and zip tied it to the fence post on my side. In big red capital letters. "DO NOT BLOCK ACCESS".
It's been clear since :biggrin:
I have a sign on the gate , the police clearly saw it when they went to have a look .

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I fully agree with the sentiment of calling plod to deal with it when you might need to urgently leave your drive, but when it's happened to me in the past a call to your local council will see them happily sending out a traffic warden to raise their revenue.

It's rather more anonymous as they do circulate independently and so the perp wouldn't necessarily know you summoned them, and at £60 a time that's a fair incentive for them to stop.

In fact when it kept happening, the local council painted a solid white line outside mine and the neighbours house and so now the problems more or less gone away. Might be worth an approach yours directly seeking the same given your child's illness.
Tried asking the council to paint a line, they will not.I have to call the pcso to get it moved.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My old man won't park across a dropped curb. The house next door to mine has one and if dad comes to pick me up and he can't pull in right outside my house, he'll pull in half a mile* up the road rather than just pulling into where the dropped curb is for maybe ten seconds.

*gross over-exaggeration.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Where I am it's now normal to park on the pavement, fully blocking it. One bloke parks diagonally on the wee small bit of turf at the corner of a junction & has rutted it. My neighbour is 91 and has a mobility scooter that comes out via our shared tunnel (terrace houses) and a small gate at the end of her front garden. Some tosser once parked his car half on the pavement outside it, preventing getting the scooter out. So a tow truck appeared one Sunday afternoon. Just as the bloke was getting the chains on, Mr Tosser comes running out from other house on the corner (always police at the house - known locally as the ASBO house!). Persuades bloke not to tow it away, drives around block and then parks car on pavement on the other side of the road:angry:.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Good friend of mine has advanced MS, which makes it a real struggle to travel even yards, even with crutches. The council put a disabled bay outside his place, which is great. Except that quite often he gets back to find it occupied. He knows who it is: a woman who has a disabled brother, living miles away. She has a blue badge, and uses it to take the space whenever things are a bit busy. She'll happily use it to save walking 20 yards. He's left notes explaining the situation, but she's unmoved. Recently she actually responded:

photo_2018-02-02_10-57-11.jpg

Nice. Also wrong. I proposed leaving another note:

"Disabled bays are not for 'disabled badge holders'. Disabled bays are for disabled badge holders *who are currently using their vehicles to transport disabled people*. Their use in any other circumstance is an offence, subject to a fine of up to £1000 and a criminal record. Please do not park here."

He probably hasn't. He's very conflict-averse. But what a $%£&^!

Drago

Legendary Member
When I had my jacked up pick up truck in Rambo Deathkill Slaughter camo paint, I'd often roll into disabled bays at shops etc. People would indignantly approach and tell me I couldn't park there, blah blah blah. I'd pretend they weren't there, then walk round the back and hoist out Mrs D's wheelchair, and then stare them in the eye while I unfolded it for her.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Good friend of mine has advanced MS, which makes it a real struggle to travel even yards, even with crutches. The council put a disabled bay outside his place, which is great. Except that quite often he gets back to find it occupied. He knows who it is: a woman who has a disabled brother, living miles away. She has a blue badge, and uses it to take the space whenever things are a bit busy. She'll happily use it to save walking 20 yards. He's left notes explaining the situation, but she's unmoved. Recently she actually responded:

View attachment 394642

Nice. Also wrong. I proposed leaving another note:

"Disabled bays are not for 'disabled badge holders'. Disabled bays are for disabled badge holders *who are currently using their vehicles to transport disabled people*. Their use in any other circumstance is an offence, subject to a fine of up to £1000 and a criminal record. Please do not park here."

He probably hasn't. He's very conflict-averse. But what a $%£&^!
I don't get this - if she legally has a blue badge, if it's in her name, then she is disabled, and can park in a disabled bay. If she is using her brother's badge then yes, it is an offence. You can't hold a badge in someone else's name.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I don't get this - if she legally has a blue badge, if it's in her name, then she is disabled, and can park in a disabled bay. If she is using her brother's badge then yes, it is an offence. You can't hold a badge in someone else's name.
The badges have photos on them I think, should be easy to tell and grass her up if she's using her brother's badge.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
What is the criteria for having a blue badge? I've jst seen a bloke who owns a newish VW Golf walk up the hilly road outside here. I thought they were awarded for those who can't walk far. Please correct me(but only politely please:shy:) if i'm wrong):smile:

Top Bottom