Vehicles parked in front of the drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User33236

I’d place a call to the police each and every time they did it. Absolutely no excuse for it!

A number of years ago, when I briefly lived in Liverpool, a neighbour used to occasionally park in a position blocking me from exiting my driveway. It stopped the night I got a 3 am emergency callout to work, a level 3 neonatal intensive care unit.

Looked out, saw I couldn’t get my car out so called 999 and explained the situation. Local plod turn up within minutes and started hammering on neighbours door. After getting no answer they radioed in for authority and smashed the driver side window to access the vehicel and move it. This set off the car alarm and moments later the neighbour came running out, kicking off, and swung a punch at the nearest person.

After he got home from spending the rest of the night in the cells, and the following court case for assaulting a police officer, he was a lot more considerate about where he parked. Never did speak to me again though! :laugh:

keithmac

Guru
:laugh:. Kids playing in the street..you'll be lucky if you see that..

My lad was out today for a few hours, managed to prise him off his Xbox..

Would be a shame to for the kids, unfortunately they can't choose their parents.

Drago

Legendary Member
Bear in mind that if they're parked across your drive and you can't get off the road and on to your drive there is no unlawful obstruction and the police have no powers. Only when its the other way around can then police act, because its an offence to obstruct the highway, not a driveway.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I've had it too. Can't understand how or why people think that parking across our double gates with a clear 'No Parking' notice is acceptable. Car is clearly visible on the hard-standing outside the building. I'm baffled as often the lane is clear either side of our entrance. Builders seem to think it's OK too, leaving me to try and figure out where they're working.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Bear in mind that if they're parked across your drive and you can't get off the road and on to your drive there is no unlawful obstruction and the police have no powers. Only when its the other way around can then police act, because its an offence to obstruct the highway, not a driveway.

Yeh but I couldnt get my bike (vehicle) off the drive and onto the road.

subaqua

What’s the point
I’d place a call to the police each and every time they did it. Absolutely no excuse for it!

A number of years ago, when I briefly lived in Liverpool, a neighbour used to occasionally park in a position blocking me from exiting my driveway. It stopped the night I got a 3 am emergency callout to work, a level 3 neonatal intensive care unit.

Looked out, saw I couldn’t get my car out so called 999 and explained the situation. Local plod turn up within minutes and started hammering on neighbours door. After getting no answer they radioed in for authority and smashed the driver side window to access the vehicel and move it. This set off the car alarm and moments later the neighbour came running out, kicking off, and swung a punch at the nearest person.

After he got home from spending the rest of the night in the cells, and the following court case for assaulting a police officer, he was a lot more considerate about where he parked. Never did speak to me again though! :laugh:
Surely that’s negatively stereotyping ...

Drago

Legendary Member
I mean down my street here in Trumpton.

Stephenite

Membå
Here's a pic of the local Trumpton post parked up on the pavement.:

mouse and post.jpg

After a short and friendly chat the postman promised not to drive on the pavement again.

Stephenite

Membå
Royal Mail vans parking & driving on the pavement seems to be on the increase. Almost as though the job gives them the right to do so.
This isn't Royal Mail but Posten ( I can't be arsed to look up what you do in the UK as it seems to be cowboyland). The driver reckoned he had the legal right to drive on the pavement but wasn't able to provide relevant info, and said all Post vehicles do the same. I said his behaviour was illegal, and asked if he was expecting me and my kids to walk in the road. The postman promised not to do it again.

Sandra6

Veteran
We used to live in a flat, front door was down an alley away from the road. No through road, no access to anywhere except mine and a neighbours property.
Opened the front door one day , ready to push the pram out, and there was a workman's van on the doorstep!!
I had to squeeze out past the van to go and find him and tell him to move -"yerr alright love, in a minute" No mate. Now!
They used to have a christmas market on the main road , and thought nothing of parking right across our pathway blocking us in.

slowwww

Veteran
I fully agree with the sentiment of calling plod to deal with it when you might need to urgently leave your drive, but when it's happened to me in the past a call to your local council will see them happily sending out a traffic warden to raise their revenue.

It's rather more anonymous as they do circulate independently and so the perp wouldn't necessarily know you summoned them, and at £60 a time that's a fair incentive for them to stop.

In fact when it kept happening, the local council painted a solid white line outside mine and the neighbours house and so now the problems more or less gone away. Might be worth an approach yours directly seeking the same given your child's illness.

Top Bottom