Vehicles parked in front of the drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
See post #45
394642.jpg

Heck, they could've put please before the "stop leaving...." That's a bit uppity and is bound to get someone's back up. :unsure:

mustang1

Legendary Member
Only a C%&t blocks a drive, who wants a friend of that calibre.
Same as the footpath parkers,that care not for the disabled
I once parked my bike on the sidewalk locked to a lamppost. When i got back to my bike, there was a note saying I was blocking the sidewalk and if I didn't move the bike, the police would be called to have it removed.

Fair enough .

So what about all the cars that are parked on the widewals?

vickster

Legendary Member
View attachment 394669

Heck, they could've put please before the "stop leaving...." That's a bit uppity and is bound to get someone's back up. :unsure:
You missed the main part of post #45 that answers your query...

He could ask the council to allocate the parking bay specifically for him. Some councils will do that. Then it's irrelevant whether she/her brother has a blue badge - the bay would be for a specific vehicle.

vickster

Legendary Member
I once parked my bike on the sidewalk locked to a lamppost. When i got back to my bike, there was a note saying I was blocking the sidewalk and if I didn't move the bike, the police would be called to have it removed.

Fair enough .

So what about all the cars that are parked on the widewals?
I hope you ignored it...it's called the pavement in the UK :whistle:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The blue badge interview process focuses on lack of mobility.

If you see someone park with a badge, hop out of the car and go bounding up the road there's a good chance the badge is being used illegally.

The local authority around here prosecutes now and again, typically the parker will claim he's just dropped granny off at the doctor's/chemist.

A phone call home soon reveals granny hasn't left the house all day.

Knowing the council is keen, I reported a late middle-aged couple a few years ago.

They parked in a disabled bay and when they got out I could see both were dressed in walking gear - hiking boots, Berghaus jackets and so on.

Off they went in the direction of a riverside path.

The council responded to my email report within an hour or two saying it would be looked into.

I later got - by mistake I think - the council officers' email conversation with each other which told me the holder of the badge had recently been registered as deceased.

If I recall, the intention was to confiscate the badge in lieu of a prosecution.

Drago

Legendary Member
The main reasons for blue badge issuing are mobility. However, you could be an olympic sprinter, but if you don't have full use of both (not just one) hands you may qualify. Also, if you need to carry bulky medical equipment with you at all times you may qualify. You can be fit as Linford Christie on acid, but might have a condition that affects your memory and/or cognitive abilities, or you may be easily confused, or suffer poor memory, and these conditions may also qualify you. Not all significant disabilities are visible.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
People with Mobility Issues.

4 Words, hows that?

(Was hoping for 3 TBH)

:laugh: Good answer.

I drive and cycle behind a blue badge car (same one) with a bumper sticker that says something like, “Not all disabilities are visible.” So does the mobility issue hold firm?

Interested, not a dig, if it comes across that way.

Tizme

Veteran
I once had a complaint from the medical department at the [Military] establishment where I worked (as the sort of "Mr Fixit" -every problem from security to non-working light bulbs came to me:sad:), they had a person parking a car in one of their parking bays from Monday to Friday every week. As parking for people using the centre was limited they were keen to find out why it was parked there as it did not belong to any of the disabled personnel working at the establishment. After a bit of digging I discovered it belonged to a lad who's Grandmother was disabled and he ferried her around as she didn't drive. Shame that he worked in Somerset and she lived in Wales! Needless to say I passed the matter over to his RSM. Unsurprisingly he stopped parking there, especially as the RSM gave him a specific parking slot - half a mile from the establishment:laugh:

Brains

Legendary Member
I loved my Landies
Had one for 14 years
one had a 3T winch on the front

Best move was the Volvo estate parked in front of the elderly neighbours drive
(who needed to take his wife back to her residential care home)
He had called the police several times, who declined to do anything about it
I simply moved the vehicle 90 degrees and 10m across the Lewisham one way system.
The effect was 'interesting' as neither owner nor complainer were available when the Police finally got there 20 mins later
The tow truck removed the offending vehicle, no idea what happened next.

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Our local council's policy on disabled parking spaces outside your home:

a)The applicant must be the holder of a Blue Badge
b)The applicant must normally be the regular driver of the vehicle, or
ready access to the vehicle for the Blue Badge holder is essential
c)There should be a considerable demand upon on street parking
d)The applicant shall have no reasonable facility for off street parking

Disabled parking bays are advisory only and so it is considered imperative that the facility does not become too widespread and result in them
being ignored by other motorists

- note the 'advisory only'.

Brains

Legendary Member
Blue Badge
From what I have noticed the local councils seem to create one space per Blue Badge holder
We have a very disabled kid who lived next door to us, hence we had a BB space outside the house
She them moved 20 houses down the road, the space was moved with her
Same applies to the Father in law, he has BB, and a single space outside the house
I'm fairly sure that once he no longer has a BB the space will be removed sharpish

So does the mobility issue hold firm?

Interested, not a dig, if it comes across that way.
Kind of - assuming you realise that mobility issues encompass a very wide range of disabilities and impairments, some of which may not be visible or intuitive. So, for example, the parent of a child with an autistic spectrum condition may be eligible to apply for a blue badge on behalf of their child - perhaps if one of the ways that child's autism presents is an inability to judge/accept risk as a pedestrian, or sensory processing/overload issues that make public transport unbearable. If the only safe way for the child to travel is by car (e.g. because they are likely to have a massive uncontrolled meltdown when faced with a bus and will step out into speeding traffic from the pavement) then a blue badge can be a way to avoid their mobility issues.

Top Bottom