Velo Birmingham anyone applying?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamin100

Guru
ive pre-registered but ive heard here is over 30,000 people registered for only 15,000 places. Need to see the date and specifics first though

OP
OP
Big Dave laaa

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
Wow I didn't realise so many had preregistered. I really hope i get a place on it. I'll work around any date as long as I have time to shake my winter timber :training:

ukbikes

jamin100 is right, in that "tens of thousands" have pre-registered. I've had that confirmed from the PR company that's promoting the event. The organisers are CSM Active for those that want to check them out.

The official launch is on Sept 22 at the Birmingham NEC Cycle Show (press & trade day). They'll confirm the number of pre-registrations at the launch along with confirmation of the route and entry price. I'll be publishing everything I can on this soon after the launch.

ukbikes

As a cyclist I'm really excited about the prospect of a) riding with 15,000 other cyclists, b) riding 100m on closed roads. However, we are going to face a backlash from car drivers who don't like cyclists and the fact that there will be 100 miles of closed roads ... for one day in 365.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm surprised they are oversubscribed, given that Velo Wales struggled to fill this year. (I'm basing that statement on the fact that they kept sending me emails asking me if I was really sure I didn't want to do it. Perhaps they were full, but had a space reserved for me because I'm a celeb.)

Looks like a nice route, through areas of my youth, except that it starts and ends in Brum, which is horrible.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Big Dave laaa

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
I'm surprised they are oversubscribed, given that Velo Wales struggled to fill this year. (I'm basing that statement on the fact that they kept sending me emails asking me if I was really sure I didn't want to do it. Perhaps they were full, but had a space reserved for me because I'm a celeb.)

Looks like a nice route, through areas of my youth, except that it starts and ends in Brum, which is horrible.

Velo Wales isn't closed road any more though. This is the major draw for most riders. Just one day of not running the gauntlet with idiot drivers.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Velo Wales isn't closed road any more though. This is the major draw for most riders. Just one day of not running the gauntlet with idiot drivers.
It was closed roads this year though, I'm pretty sure. Some friends did it, and they'd have mentioned if it wasn't closed.

Anyhoo ... drifting off the subject of velo brum.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Nice to see there will be a BikeFest family ride on closed roads as well. May see if the grandsons want to have a go

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have pre-registered, but if the price is too high, then I won't bother. From reading the blurb on the website I suspect that it going to be very expensive. Also, I am not keen on the fact that you can pay extra to be a VIP and get into the first 3 waves, as that could cause carnage as faster riders come through. They also have a 'corporate' group for extra bollocks.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I've pre-registered for this event; like Milkfloat, I also await the news about the entry fee with some trepidation. I like the idea of city centre closed road riding, just because it's so rare, even if Birmingham isn't quite the glamour draw that London is. At least I don't have to find some costly accommodation.

Top Bottom