Velo South - West Sussex 23/09/2018 (Closed Road 100)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Heavy rain and a fresh breeze forecast now.
I think the organisers have been farked by the Met Office's recent hastiness in issuing weather warnings.

Not really - they had to make decision in good time. If they could make the decision now it might be different, but with people travelling down and staying overnight they couldn't really leave the decision to Sat morning.

I wonder if the weather warning meant they could invoke insurance. BTW I beleive the weather warning is still in place.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Not really - they had to make decision in good time. If they could make the decision now it might be different, but with people travelling down and staying overnight they couldn't really leave the decision to Sat morning.

I wonder if the weather warning meant they could invoke insurance. BTW I beleive the weather warning is still in place.
Most forecasters going with a fairly unremarkable rainy September Sunday morning but Met Office still calling it yellow.
Screenshot_20180922-184342.jpg

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Most forecasters going with a fairly unremarkable rainy September Sunday morning but Met Office still calling it yellow.
View attachment 431090
The forecasters yesterday predicted a dull day brightening up later on for my area.

So, I thought, "I'll paint the outside of the house today".

It hasn't stopped pishing down

The point? I dunno, other than the weather is so all over the place right now that they had no real option but to take the decision with the best advice they had on Sunday, before people started to travel.

rich p

ridiculous old lush

I'm not blaming the organisers, I'm blaming the Met Office for their knee jerk reactions these days issuing weather warnings at the drop of a hat.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Well, if the weather down there this morning is anything like it is where I live, it would have been thoroughly unpleasant.

Not windy, but chucking it down, and looks like it will be all day.

Heigh ho. Maybe next year.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Yeah, I'm one county to the north but it looks foul out there. Anyone whi does a DIY Velo South today deserves respect and sympathy, followed by a nice hot bath.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Refund emails have gone out. Three options

100 % refund
Transfer to Velo Brum in May next year
4 way split to charities.

The weather in West Sussex is shite and has been since I got up at 0700. Rain might be clearing by the time The Archers finishes.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I cycled through a bit of it yesterday. There is also a 10k run on some of the same route....
Two mates rode the route yday, and another has texted me to say he'd ridden the top half Horsham - Chichester thus morning, soaked through and some strong gusts, and has abandoned for a train at Chi.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Well, if the weather down there this morning is anything like it is where I live, it would have been thoroughly unpleasant.

Not windy, but chucking it down, and looks like it will be all day.

Heigh ho. Maybe next year.
My money is on 2020 earliest, if at all.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Meanwhile in Manchester...

046C9CAB-4B84-448F-907B-77A7C7A19546.jpeg

Kind of glad the weather did actually become crappy today. If t had been like up here would have been welll cheesed off.

So what was velo Birmingham like last year?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Today Sussex has exactly the weather we needed yesterday.

So, obviously, I'm stuck, as usual, three storeys underground in an airless gloomy basement, not having done Velo South yday.

Grrrrr. :sad:

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Hotel gave me 50% refund as they were able to rent out room on Saturday, so better than nothing. Just out of pocket for one of the nights now so could have been worse.

Spent money on the bibs and shirt but they were of decent quality so didn't mind that so much, needed new bibs anyway.

Just have to decide if I want to risk using the entry fee for Velo Birmingham 2019....

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Hotel gave me 50% refund as they were able to rent out room on Saturday, so better than nothing. Just out of pocket for one of the nights now so could have been worse.

Spent money on the bibs and shirt but they were of decent quality so didn't mind that so much, needed new bibs anyway.

Just have to decide if I want to risk using the entry fee for Velo Birmingham 2019....
Will be keeping an eye out for the bibs, they must be going to sell surplus off cheap now, especially in my fat lad size.

Top Bottom