Velo South - West Sussex 23/09/2018 (Closed Road 100)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Let us hope that there will not be tragic consequences of such residents ignoring advice and taking to the roads.

On the other hand, I do think the organizers deserve some credit in attempting to engage the smaller local communities, including younger children, in taking part in some manner, whether getting out to cheer the participants or maybe as a volunteer.
More worried about 15000 cyclists hooning down these roads in full-on testosterone-fuelled sportive mode and colliding with each other and the scenery tbh. The volunteer appeal has started in earnest, and I understand not all the parking for Goodwood has been arranged.

More worried about 15000 cyclists hooning down these roads in full-on testosterone-fuelled sportive mode and colliding with each other and the scenery tbh. The volunteer appeal has started in earnest, and I understand not all the parking for Goodwood has been arranged.
The good news is not all 15,000 of them will be in full-on race mode, so as long as you are behind that lot, you should be safe. And if they want to see our lovely local green scenery up really, really close by going off tarmac, they have my blessing.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The good news is not all 15,000 of them will be in full-on race mode, so as long as you are behind that lot, you should be safe. And if they want to see our lovely local green scenery up really, really close by going off tarmac, they have my blessing.
true but the danger is then we will all get diverted onto the roads that aren't closed.

true but the danger is then we will all get diverted onto the roads that aren't closed.
I’ve ridden the route a couple of times now, and to be fair, the roads ( except for the bit of the A285 used ) are totally docile on a Sunday. It might be an idea to take to some of the open roads, in order to avoid the pinch points on the hilly bits.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I’ve ridden the route a couple of times now, and to be fair, the roads ( except for the bit of the A285 used ) are totally docile on a Sunday. It might be an idea to take to some of the open roads, in order to avoid the pinch points on the hilly bits.
The roads in Sussex are docile 24/7.

The drivers on 'em? Not so much. My local group has had significant challenges from nobber drivers mid-mornings on Sunday around NE West Sussex in recent weeks.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
14999 for sure. I'm touring it. From what I've seen on bookface, many of the entrants think they are auditioning for Team Sky and are approaching the ride with the single-mindedness of a Hilary attempting Everest.

I knew there was a reason why I generally stay away from sportives. I'm just not the right kind of cyclist. I'd say each to their own by my sort of own is clearly an outlier. My self deprecating "it's a 100 mile day ride folks not the TdeF" brought out the genius bit of victim blaming that the people who are under-prepared are the ones who end up in the ambulances and, and this is a doozey, the ones who die. Someone ought to tell The Fridays.

14999 for sure. I'm touring it. From what I've seen on bookface, many of the entrants think they are auditioning for Team Sky and are approaching the ride with the single-mindedness of a Hilary attempting Everest.

I knew there was a reason why I generally stay away from sportives. I'm just not the right kind of cyclist. I'd say each to their own by my sort of own is clearly an outlier. My self deprecating "it's a 100 mile day ride folks not the TdeF" brought out the genius bit of victim blaming that the people who are under-prepared are the ones who end up in the ambulances and, and this is a doozey, the ones who die. Someone ought to tell The Fridays.

Unfortunately for you, that “genius bit of victim blaming” was actually from me. That’s right, yours truly. I got a good idea of the sort I was dealing with, you’ve just confirmed it. “Doozy” really? Do yourself a favour, take it a bit more seriously, and you might not end up moving your bike with a dust pan and brush, and probably causing everyone else an issue simultaneously.

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Unfortunately for you, that “genius bit of victim blaming” was actually from me. That’s right, yours truly. I got a good idea of the sort I was dealing with, you’ve just confirmed it. “Doozy” really? Do yourself a favour, take it a bit more seriously, and you might not end up moving your bike with a dust pan and brush, and probably causing everyone else an issue simultaneously.
Struggling to see in which way, if any, this is unfortunate for me. I stand by what I said.

Do yourself a favour, try not to take everything about this ride so seriously, offer advice about it to others only when it is asked for, and endeavour to keep your assumptions, jumping to conclusions, and public pronouncements, about "the sort" you think you are dealing with, and their knowledge and experience, and likelihood of success or failure, to a minimum, and you'll not cause anyone an issue.

hth

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The good news is not all 15,000 of them will be in full-on race mode, so as long as you are behind that lot, you should be safe.
Yes, the avg speed needed to avoid the broom is only 18kph. So ample opportunity for those wishing to ride 161km at touring pace I guess. I bought an early wave place so will be able to watch the trains come past me, which I always think is a cool element of these sorts of rides, seeing groups working in harmony. I know all the climbs and know I can get up them with current legs and gearing and that distance doesn't phase me.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

Priceless. I had a look on the Facebook page, had to see this for myself. To be fair, I don't think everyone is taking it that seriously. In response to a post asking, "How is your training going?" one chap responded: "Did fluids intake training by drinking pints."

Another: "Training?"

Priceless. I had a look on the Facebook page, had to see this for myself. To be fair, I don't think everyone is taking it that seriously. In response to a post asking, "How is your training going?" one chap responded: "Did fluids intake training by drinking pints."

Sportive riders :rolleyes:

As long as they don’t cause me a direct problem, I don’t care.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

There's the public page and a closed group, I think.

As an apparent prat destined for broom wagon, or ambulance, or morgue, or possibly some ghastly combination of all three, I clearly wasn't taking it seriously enough for some in the closed group as one or two of the really deadly serious got a bit antsy.

Each to their own though innit?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
As predicted the locals are getting antsy

oh, and the organisers are promoting places for local residents again on facebook, so clearly not completely sold out.

How surprising...
...that it took this long for locals to get vocal!

And today I received the latest communication from WSCC which is obviously keen to stay on the right side of the organisers:

"... if you’d like to try your hand at cycling and want to have a go at riding 100 miles, we have reserved places for residents to join in. All abilities are welcome...Alternatively, you can secure your place on the start line via one of our official charity partners and cycle to fundraise for some worthy causes..."
(my italics)
"...We’re calling on local residents to line the streets in support of the riders and give them a royal welcome to your town or village! This event will create a celebratory feel in the county, making it the perfect backdrop for a garden party or social occasion."

Obvs not all locals feel like celebrating!!!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
How surprising...
...that it took this long for locals to get vocal!

And today I received the latest communication from WSCC which is obviously keen to stay on the right side of the organisers:

"... if you’d like to try your hand at cycling and want to have a go at riding 100 miles, we have reserved places for residents to join in. All abilities are welcome...Alternatively, you can secure your place on the start line via one of our official charity partners and cycle to fundraise for some worthy causes..."
(my italics)
"...We’re calling on local residents to line the streets in support of the riders and give them a royal welcome to your town or village! This event will create a celebratory feel in the county, making it the perfect backdrop for a garden party or social occasion."

Obvs not all locals feel like celebrating!!!
I was enjoying how splendidly low-key it had all been. I got wind of the "You ain't coming through Henfield" malarkey via a mate on the PC there.

Their previous begging letter had me at hello, but clearly the uptake was limited. No early wave places left though, the serious ones must have them.

Am in contact with Sussex Roads Policing, formally and informally via a route or three, and will be interested to hear the public vs private/informal comments and any delta between. Hopefully it will all pass off without event or conflict, but these West Sussex folk are my people and somehow I just can't see them taking it lying down.

Top Bottom