Velo South - West Sussex 23/09/2018 (Closed Road 100)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howyadoinoutthere

I signed up for 'Public Entry - Fast track entry' which means you are pre-registered so do not have to attend the day before to register plus close parking near the start.

Unfortunately I can no longer attend so my entry is available to someone if of interest. I paid £129.00 plus a 'processing fee' of £7.42. Total £136.42.

At this stage I am looking for the £136.42. I will pay the £10 transfer fee.

Thanks. Jeff.

NOW SOLD

Last edited:

wheeliegirl

According to WSCC there is no TTRO in place yet. They apply for this 4 to 6 weeks prior to the event. CSM can change the route and date without cyclists having any come back. Not sure if they can change it from closed to open road though.
CSM failed to inform the locals and numerous villages are oblivious to the event even now. CSM arranged 'roadshows' about the event but no one turned up because they didn't inform them. WSCC have been keeping everyone who lives there in the dark along with CSM - the event was agreed with WSCC, Duke of Richmond and CSM in October but no one down in West Sussex got even a whiff of the event until March or April. Villagers have to remove their cars from outside their houses from midnight or it will get towed away and some pitstops have been placed on private land without consent. They are shutting the roads for up to 10 hours in places and shops, National Trust properties and pubs are going to be closed as no one can get to them so that is why the natives are angry. I think from what I have heard, the locals have not been informed, they have had no right to appeal and WSCC are in breech of GDPR by sharing emails with CSM so naturally they are all peed off. It seems like the most enormous mess.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
According to WSCC there is no TTRO in place yet. They apply for this 4 to 6 weeks prior to the event. CSM can change the route and date without cyclists having any come back. Not sure if they can change it from closed to open road though.
CSM failed to inform the locals and numerous villages are oblivious to the event even now. CSM arranged 'roadshows' about the event but no one turned up because they didn't inform them. WSCC have been keeping everyone who lives there in the dark along with CSM - the event was agreed with WSCC, Duke of Richmond and CSM in October but no one down in West Sussex got even a whiff of the event until March or April. Villagers have to remove their cars from outside their houses from midnight or it will get towed away and some pitstops have been placed on private land without consent. They are shutting the roads for up to 10 hours in places and shops, National Trust properties and pubs are going to be closed as no one can get to them so that is why the natives are angry. I think from what I have heard, the locals have not been informed, they have had no right to appeal and WSCC are in breech of GDPR by sharing emails with CSM so naturally they are all peed off. It seems like the most enormous mess.

How are they in breach of GDPR ? - What emails are shared ? - The council have too be able to email CSM

People are pissed off because the roads are going be closed for one day - and that day will be difficult (but not impossible) to go about there normal business. In Velo birmingham the pubs en route we open ...and seemed to be pretty full.

I think we have to be realistic - you aren't going to run a closed road sportive without upsetting people - but that doesn't veto the event.

People aren't going to like it - and when people say they weren't told\informed\consulted - (they probably were \ will be -) what they mean is they don't like what they are hearing.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
We’ve had the direct threats now, someone threatening to do what the idiots did during the Velo Birmingham, re: oil and nails. It didn’t work then, it won’t work now.

I did VB - the action by locals was massively exaggerated. One oil spillage was all I seen.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
People aren't going to like it - and when people say they weren't told\informed\consulted - (they probably were \ will be -) what they mean is they don't like what they are hearing.
Actually when people on the route say they weren't consulted, they weren't consulted. They are now being told to suck it up, but that isn't consultation. At least one community (Henfield) has told CSM to go forth, and thereare instances where CSM appear to think they can setup station on shared use public land without getting buy-in from the local community.

It will still go ahead, it is unlikely there will be any significant disruption, but to make out people don't have a right to be pissed off by the way CSM/WSCC have handled it is not helpful. Once we've all had our jolly day out some of us have to ride these roads the other 51 weekends of the year.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Actually when people on the route say they weren't consulted, they weren't consulted. They are now being told to suck it up, but that isn't consultation. At least one community (Henfield) has told CSM to go forth, and thereare instances where CSM appear to think they can setup station on shared use public land without getting buy-in from the local community.

It will still go ahead, it is unlikely there will be any significant disruption, but to make out people don't have a right to be pissed off by the way CSM/WSCC have handled it is not helpful. Once we've all had our jolly day out some of us have to ride these roads the other 51 weekends of the year.

Same stuff was said about velo birmingham. The route was right by me - and I still cycle those roads - no ongoing hostility to cyclists that wasn't there before.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
How are they in breach of GDPR ? - What emails are shared ? - The council have too be able to email CSM
I imagine the GDPR angle is that folk have emailed the county council, who has passed their emails on to a commercial company as WSCC don't want to get caught in the middle despite being firmly in the centre of things.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I imagine the GDPR angle is that folk have emailed the county council, who has passed their emails on to a commercial company as WSCC don't want to get caught in the middle despite being firmly in the centre of things.

Yes but the previous poster - was posting it as fact. - but pure speculation based on almost nothing. Personally I would doubt that has happened - and councils do have to share information with commercial companies as many of the services a council offers are run by private companies.

wheeliegirl

People are pissed off because the roads are going be closed for one day - and that day will be difficult (but not impossible) to go about there normal business. In Velo birmingham the pubs en route we open ...and seemed to be pretty full.

I think we have to be realistic - you aren't going to run a closed road sportive without upsetting people - but that doesn't veto the event.

They are going to be shut for over 10 hours and the pubs, shops and National Trust properties are closing as their staff can't get into work and the punters drive there so it is a no go. I know it is not impossible for some to get around but there are folks who apparently cannot have carers in on that day and a mate of mine should be having chemo but cannot get out of the closed roads to get to the hospital - CSM told him to go another day! I know that some people won't like what they hear, but there seems to me that the wave of public support is ebbing away by the arrogance of CSM and WSCC attitude to the event and the way they have handled it. the only people who will make money out of this is CSM and the Duke of Richmond. One mate of mine is furious as he has been told by CSM to stand by the road with bunting and cheer all us riders on so it makes a good day for us - we aren't the Tour de France though (well I'm not that's for sure!). I am reaching the stage that I don't really want to be a part of this and have abuse hurled at me by angry folk and make the fat cats at CSM richer.

Ah right you must be a speed merchant - by the time I get there it was covered in hay and we just rolled over it.

499AA838-D6E9-4BF7-A3BB-6D27D948671E.jpeg

19EA3048-67FB-4018-8B41-3F8B98B42493.jpeg

I was at about 20 mph average for the first 20 miles, and was a bit quicker than average, until I hit the congestion on the hilly bit, but then I got the speed back up in the last 20 miles, this made life interesting re: the sabotage.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
They are going to be shut for over 10 hours and the pubs, shops and National Trust properties are closing as their staff can't get into work and the punters drive there so it is a no go. I know it is not impossible for some to get around but there are folks who apparently cannot have carers in on that day and a mate of mine should be having chemo but cannot get out of the closed roads to get to the hospital - CSM told him to go another day! I know that some people won't like what they hear, but there seems to me that the wave of public support is ebbing away by the arrogance of CSM and WSCC attitude to the event and the way they have handled it. the only people who will make money out of this is CSM and the Duke of Richmond. One mate of mine is furious as he has been told by CSM to stand by the road with bunting and cheer all us riders on so it makes a good day for us - we aren't the Tour de France though (well I'm not that's for sure!). I am reaching the stage that I don't really want to be a part of this and have abuse hurled at me by angry folk and make the fat cats at CSM richer.

Emergency vehicles are allowed through as are carers.

I presume your solution is not to run the event ?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Several of Mrs Gregry's friends are up in arms. Made for an interesting conversation during the wendyball last night.

stujohnstone

Hi, I have a place in the Velo South sportive on 23/09, but I can no longer attend (gutted!). If anyone would like my entry please let me know and I will transfer it through the velo south web site. Velo South take the payment from the new person directly and then refund me minus £10 admin. I signed up for Fast Track entry so that you can register on the day instead of having to be there the day before, I think I paid around £120 with this included. However, my understanding is that when the place is transferred the fast track entry is optional for the new person.

Top Bottom