Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Which way did you come into Birmingham from the East? I may one day cycle back from my in-laws near Spalding/Bourne

Yes from the East did a bit of around Castle Bromwich and Erdington , If you want any routing advice shout up ,I have cycled as far in as the Bull ring .
Leicester ,Atherstone Coleshill is roughly the route in
Edit check the wind direction and strength before the day ,that's could be a headwind all the way

Last edited:

Norry1

Legendary Member
Did a 34 miler today which got me my 34 x 34 square. Probably have to arrange a Brum visit to mop up the Bearwood, Smethwick, Aston, Bordesley stuff soon.

steverob

Guru
I'm back in the game! Given various issues and ailments I haven't added any new tiles since about June last year and I'm still not quite fit enough to expand the borders of my cluster (after all it takes about 30 miles to even reach the nearest edge at the moment), but I did pick up one of my missing tiles between Silverstone and Buckingham on today's ride.

Animation1.gif

I'd come close to getting it on a previous ride many years back, but when I got there, you had to go through a farm yard first and then there was a closed gate across the path, so thinking I'd maybe got the wrong route or that it was private land, I backed off and thought maybe it wasn't to be. But having looked at the maps again it seems as though the path was officially a bridleway, so knowing I was heading that way today, I planned to actually try my luck.

Unfortunately once you got past the gate it was a very muddy path that had then been further churned up by tractors - maybe should have waited until summer when it was drier in retrospect, but I was determined not to be denied this time. Bike definitely needs a good cleaning now!

Norry1

Legendary Member
I'm back in the game! Given various issues and ailments I haven't added any new tiles since about June last year and I'm still not quite fit enough to expand the borders of my cluster (after all it takes about 30 miles to even reach the nearest edge at the moment), but I did pick up one of my missing tiles between Silverstone and Buckingham on today's ride.

View attachment 726732

I'd come close to getting it on a previous ride many years back, but when I got there, you had to go through a farm yard first and then there was a closed gate across the path, so thinking I'd maybe got the wrong route or that it was private land, I backed off and thought maybe it wasn't to be. But having looked at the maps again it seems as though the path was officially a bridleway, so knowing I was heading that way today, I planned to actually try my luck.

Unfortunately once you got past the gate it was a very muddy path that had then been further churned up by tractors - maybe should have waited until summer when it was drier in retrospect, but I was determined not to be denied this time. Bike definitely needs a good cleaning now!

Welcome back ^_^

.... and how do you do that flashing thing??

steverob

Guru
Welcome back ^_^

.... and how do you do that flashing thing??
Created a GIF of the before and after maps screenshotted from VeloViewer. Pretty sure you can do that online in various places, but I happen to have an old version of PaintShopPro that came bundled with a free GIF maker app, so that's what I use.

If you look back through this thread, you should be able to see other examples I've done, most of which have a lot more tiles crossed off in a single ride than just this one!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Just signed up to Veloviewer, although was a fan of the segments stats, back in the days when it was free.
Not really been into the map squares before, and as my riding is fairly local I've only got an 11x11 square.
I've been investigating how to increase to 17x17... shouldn't take too much effort.... OMG I can see this being addictive!
1713056815441.png

Norry1

Legendary Member
Just signed up to Veloviewer, although was a fan of the segments stats, back in the days when it was free.
Not really been into the map squares before, and as my riding is fairly local I've only got an 11x11 square.
I've been investigating how to increase to 17x17... shouldn't take too much effort.... OMG I can see this being addictive!
View attachment 727567

Yep - I only started ths tile stuff recently and it has "added a new dimension" to my riding. Not as strong as an obsession, but certainly gets a fair bit of my attention. Enjoy!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Friday night saw me on the train up to London with bike to do a Friday Night Ride to the Coast. No part of the 60+ mile route would score me any new Veloviewer tiles, but I got some by exiting the train early and riding around South London.

I'd like to think this isn't the start of obsessive map-gazing & route-planning!

Top Bottom