Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Max cluster now up to 1315....it would have been many more but for a flooded road called "water lane"....also missed a couple of squares in the rush for the 4pm train at Grantham. 2 trains an hour toward Nottingham at 45 and 57 past the hour! Definitely a new route extension opportunity!

13 rider

Guru
Bit of square gathering out to Bretby and Swadlincote max cluster now 1107

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
@13 rider

This is how I got the M69/M6 squares:

upload_2018-1-1_17-55-2.png

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I've been thinking for a while that I would like to ride every square in Leicestershire. After a lot of faffing about I've finally created a Strava route that shows the squares the Leicestershire county boundary goes through. If you use Chrome and the explorer plug in then you can use it to see which squares inside the boundary you are missing.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that I've only got 7 squares to do.

For anyone else that is interested link is here for the route.

https://www.strava.com/routes/11778517

For anyone wanting to create their own county this is how I did it.

Found a KML file for the county and used this site to create a GPX file

https://mygeodata.cloud/converter/kml-to-gpx

Then used this site to create a TCX file from the GPX- you need to put in the start date and time and an average speed.

http://gotoes.org/strava/Add_Timestamps_To_GPX.php

Uploaded the TCX file to Strava, marked it as private, updated Veloviewer (I tried to create a route from the Strava route but it kept failing)

Used the activities tab on Veloviewer to see the squares the boundary went through and used manual mode on Strava to sketch a route.

Deleted the ride from Strava and Veloviewer

Extremely sad I know, but going to do Rutland once Leicestershire is done. :laugh:

wajc

Veteran
That's a nice variation on the max square/cluster idea.

Unfortunately I live in the 2nd biggest county in the country, and Lincolnshire is over 3x bigger in area than Leicestershire.

Fortunately I can't find a KML file or outline map of the county boundary with enough detail to be useful for this additional quest ^_^

wajc

Veteran
I've been busy on the computer myself during the dark evenings and spent a couple of them last week selecting all my rides on Veloviewer so that they all have had their definitive tiles calculated. Approx 900 rides altogether but left out my commutes (approx 600) as they are mostly less than 15km and I will have ridden the same areas on my longer rides anyway, this left about 300 rides in total.

Before I started

Total Tiles 3173, Max Cluster 1236, Max Square 30 x 30

Occasionally I would gain a tile but the general trend was downwards (I'd check my summary every so often)

After getting the definitive tile list for all the rides my stats were

Total Tiles 3163, Max Cluster 1207, Max Square 23 x 23

I'd lost 3 squares from within my original max square, when I looked closely it was clear that I hadn't actually entered these squares. No big deal as they're all relatively close (within a 65km round trip).

After a couple of rides I'm back to

Total Tiles 3179, Max Cluster 1256, Max Square 26 x 26

I've mentioned this to @Supersuperleeds but my aim for this year is to extend my max cluster to London. I'm originally from down there and so have quite a nice cluster developing which I'd like to connect up.

I think I'll need 1 ride to Northampton and then 2-3 to fill the gap between there and Luton. It'll be only 3 squares wide all the way down (apart from corners) but I'll meet the rules!I'm

Quite like the idea of completing a county but I need quite a few squares south of Leicester to do it! Are the squares containing the border line part of Leicestershire or not?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I've mentioned this to @Supersuperleeds but my aim for this year is to extend my max cluster to London. I'm originally from down there and so have quite a nice cluster developing which I'd like to connect up.

I think I'll need 1 ride to Northampton and then 2-3 to fill the gap between there and Luton. It'll be only 3 squares wide all the way down (apart from corners) but I'll meet the rules!I'm

Quite like the idea of completing a county but I need quite a few squares south of Leicester to do it! Are the squares containing the border line part of Leicestershire or not?

Yes the border line squares are part of Leicestershire. If you want to do the southern squares let me know

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm a little behind, but now up to 12x12, max cluster 235 and 642 tiles. Lots of little ones in the midst that I need to collect, some of which are set up as part of my challenge rides.
Much as I find this square gathering infuriating, it's providing a great motivator and getting me out on longer rides to places I wouldn't normally go, which is making my cycling that much more enjoyable.

Top Bottom