Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes the border line squares are part of Leicestershire. If you want to do the southern squares let me know

Cheers, I will do when I'm able to ride distance again....it's really frustrating!

Skuhravy

Veteran
Finally got square up to 30x30 - max cluster is 1800-and something.

I only really started this last year, but I reckon I had a good base as I like new roads, trails and don't mind too much about the strictly legal status..

It's getting harder, though. I'm in Darlington, which is pretty flat, but there are bastard hills to the east and west, trackless moors and so on. I've already ran up against the North Sea to the east. The thing that's annoying me, though, is out-of-bounds army bases and firing ranges. With Europe's largest army base on my doorstep, there are lots of these, and they're really active. I can't extend my square south west without riding across Bellerby Ranges, and in the many years i've ridden past, I only remember the flags being down once.

I'm sure everyone has their own local issues, of course! It does reinforce my belief that England needs an open access law equivalent to Scotland's. I've hacked across private estates and perfectly good tracks which would make awesome routes. Only been told off once though :smile:

jiberjaber

Veteran
After a chat with someone whilst I was riding up in my homelands I've been plugging away filling in my local gaps and grown from 10x10 to 22x22 in 4 weeks... it's quite addictive and a great alternative to audax & training rides :smile:

Has anyone managed to get the shaded tiles functionality in to anything other than Strava? I would really like to use RWGPS for my planning but I'm having to keep at least 2 maps open to ensure I plot the route right.

Also getting the square overlay on to a Garmin device would be nice - looks like there is something called 'raster maps' support for most Edge devices which might be a way... anyone had any experience of this?
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin#Raster_Maps

wajc

Veteran
Has anyone managed to get the shaded tiles functionality in to anything other than Strava? I would really like to use RWGPS for my planning but I'm having to keep at least 2 maps open to ensure I plot the route right.

I was going to point you to this from Ben at Veloviewer and the question at the end, but I guess there is only one 'jiberjaber'

http://blog.veloviewer.com/veloviewer-chrome-extension-for-strava-website/

I find RWGPS better for routing as well, especially for off road sections and where you need to draw lines manually.

It's not unusual for me to be looking at Google maps, Bing maps (for it's OS map layer), Strava and RWGPS when targetting those difficult to get tiles with no easy access.

Siclo

Veteran
Is taking the ship canal cruise with a bike allowed? Or do I need to buy a pedalo? The Mersey is wider than a tile.

jiberjaber

Veteran
I was going to point you to this from Ben at Veloviewer and the question at the end, but I guess there is only one 'jiberjaber'

http://blog.veloviewer.com/veloviewer-chrome-extension-for-strava-website/

I find RWGPS better for routing as well, especially for off road sections and where you need to draw lines manually.

It's not unusual for me to be looking at Google maps, Bing maps (for it's OS map layer), Strava and RWGPS when targetting those difficult to get tiles with no easy access.

So I did manage to get a slightly better workflow going yesterday, I used the export to KML option in VV which I then loaded in to Garmin Basecamp in which I have a customised OSM map installed. It does this by representing each square as a 6 km track.

I was then able to see a lot more detail in basecamp (obvs still not UK OS but sort of close enough and more detail than in RWGPS for none road items etc) to ensure I plotted a route that caught tiles, I then duplicated this in RWGPS allowing me to double check the route with Google street view.

I suppose I could use the route straight out of Basecamp, but for some reason I have never had successful rides when using basecamp for some reason or another :smile:

Skuhravy

Veteran
Is taking the ship canal cruise with a bike allowed? Or do I need to buy a pedalo? The Mersey is wider than a tile.

That's up to you - no one else will care. I'd not want to do that, mind. I've a square in the middle of the Tees estuary, and I can't see any way to get it, short of putting a Garmin on a container ship. Or maybe I can wait until there's a really low tide ^_^

The above situations are why I prefer the max cluster idea. It means my square hunting can continue round major obstacles.

Could you get a ferry through the squares and run whilst you're on it?

Siclo

Veteran
That's up to you - no one else will care.

Yeah I know and this game is forcing me to face some deep philosophical questions, such as 'when does a bike ride become a walk?' and 'what do I really feel about driving somewhere in order to ride my bike?'

Actually the latter is something I've struggled with for a while and is a big part of I've done very little MTB for a few years.

I feel an existential crisis looming ^_^

Managed to grab some new squares riding out of London to the suburbs yesterday. The weather has put pay to riding again today. So, hopefully I'll grab some more on the way back tomorrow.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Yeah I know and this game is forcing me to face some deep philosophical questions, such as 'when does a bike ride become a walk?' and 'what do I really feel about driving somewhere in order to ride my bike?'

Actually the latter is something I've struggled with for a while and is a big part of I've done very little MTB for a few years.

I feel an existential crisis looming ^_^

My view is it doesn't matter how you get to the square as long as you go through some of it on your own steam, whether that be walking, cycling, canoeing then it counts.

wajc

Veteran
Todays ride has taken my max square to 31x31.

It was a bit more 'off-road' on one stretch than I expected as the Google car had been down there but it turned out to be more of a cinder track - probably thought they were on a rally stage.

Top Bottom