Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wajc

Veteran
What's the most squares you've got in a straight line? Mine's somewhere in the mid-40's from a quick look!! Might be longer if I look a bit harder.

49 for me - could be another metric for Ben at Veloviewer to add to the mix? We'll all be doing long linear routes if that happens ^_^

A crisp winters ride today - max square now 33 x 33

It's been so dry recently (the easterly winds have helped as well) that even though it was -2C overnight around here there was no ice on the roads.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
The lines on the Activities map are simplified, so yes you do end up with a lot of lines that have sudden changes in angle, especially on the longer rides - this is just to make the map load faster according to Ben from VeloViewer. However the tiles that are coloured in are based on your actual ride line, not the simplified line, AS LONG AS you view the ride in VeloViewer at some point (e.g. click on the activity name). When you do that, it calculates your actual ride path and works out which tiles you should/shouldn't have got with 100% accuracy.

If you identify any tiles you don't think you should have got (or some you think you should but haven't), just going in to each of the relevant activities once, then refreshing the map page will sort it out for good.

Thanks for that, I was rather frustrated to find a square missing because of the simplified lines, but just done the above and whilst the line is not in the square, it has coloured the square as done.

Up top 13x13 now, 655 tiles and 268 cluster. Longest line is a mere 23 (a great thing though, perhaps a suggestion to those in charge of Veloviewer as an addition to the summary page). Looks like I've got some catching up to do in this strangely obsessive game.

Edit, cross posted with @wajc

13 rider

Guru
Thanks for that, I was rather frustrated to find a square missing because of the simplified lines, but just done the above and whilst the line is not in the square, it has coloured the square as done.

Up top 13x13 now, 655 tiles and 268 cluster. Longest line is a mere 23 (a great thing though, perhaps a suggestion to those in charge of Veloviewer as an addition to the summary page). Looks like I've got some catching up to do in this strangely obsessive game.

Edit, cross posted with @wajc
Conversely opening the ride can also make you lose squares when the simplified line goes through the square but the ride didn't . I know this as once my max square went from 24 sq to 20 sq by opening a ride and losing 1 square which had to ride up a farm drive for a 100 yards to get it Properly

Indeed!! Thanks to one of them, the max cluster is now all the way to Wickenby!!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Has anyone got this square and did you avoid the A17 getting it?

upload_2018-3-11_21-7-48.png

wajc

Veteran
Has anyone got this square and did you avoid the A17 getting it?

View attachment 399584

I've got that one. No need to ride on the A17 at all. It can be got by heading east from Coddington. Just before the RAB is a small road that goes off to the right which then develops in to a farm track (you can see it on the OS layer of Bing Maps) - easily rideable when I did it in the dry and if IIRC not the sort of track that would get particuarly muddy even when wet.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1242398343#30692234794

Of course taking your chances with club wielding golfers and dodging incoming golf balls might be more fun ^_^

Siclo

Veteran
More progress, now up to 21x21, going to take a while to progress now as I need tiles on all four sides of the square, but not too many and at least I've coloured in some of the more... er.... shall we say interesting parts of East Manchester.

Skuhravy

Veteran
Still stuck on 32x32, but I've been doing other rides recently. I've two squares to get to go up to 33x33, but they're miles away from one another. One's in t'Moors and one's in t'Dales.

Annoyingly, I just missed the one in t'Moors when I got lost in Boltby Forest last week and ended up dragging my bike down a woody ravine to get out of the place.

Top Bottom