Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I've spent the last month doing one ride each weekend in an attempt to tick off as many off-road/awkward squares as possible before the lanes/tracks/bridleways and farmers fields get too muddy for my road bike on 23mm tyres with the onset of wetter winter weather. I do have a cross bike as well which is used for commuting and would be ideal for the rougher stuff but it's a lot heavier and slower.

Today's ride was a 90km tour from home to the eastern side of the Trent at Collingham nr Newark, north to Dunham on Trent and back home again. I had to divert off the main road down to the Trent on several occasions - altogether about 8km off road which was predominantly rough track, but as hoped for not too muddy.

Also had to get off the bike hop over a fence and walk about 100m in to a grassy farmers field and walk back again - anyone seeing this must have been wondering what the hell I was doing :scratch:

A short stretch that may have been a private road as well. This altogether resulted in a far more interesting and rewarding trip on the bike than if I'd just gone for a spin around my local roads.

13 new squares today (50 this month with a fair few awkward ones) Max square still 28 x 28 but a good deal of progress made and low 30s shouldn't be too far away, Max cluster 1148

Any chance of a Strava link so I can see how you did some of the awkward squares? I have a line between Newark an Lincoln through Collingham but need a fair few squares either side of that line.

Most of the squares up that east side of the Trent to Newton I've done on tarmac.....I only think one of em was a muddy road. I did some of those last weekend if it helps?

wajc

Veteran
Most of the squares up that east side of the Trent to Newton I've done on tarmac.....I only think one of em was a muddy road. I did some of those last weekend if it helps?

How does your route compare to the one I did?

Westfield Lane out of Collingham was a good one to do as if you go right to the end of it and then walk/ride northwards along the riverbank for a few meters you can get 2 squares for little extra effort. Definitely would describe it as a rutted track once you get to the half way point and beyond the point that the Google car went.

13 rider

Guru
Another weekend square gathering top left corner Saturday and top right today . Left a square at Barton in Fabis as the track looked rough and dirty . Got a few tricky possible walking squares on the edge of max square that will probably left until spring now . So will continue to build around them so might be a good jump come spring

Another weekend square gathering top left corner Saturday and top right today . Left a square at Barton in Fabis as the track looked rough and dirty . Got a few tricky possible walking squares on the edge of max square that will probably left until spring now . So will continue to build around them so might be a good jump come spring

Think I got that from the other side of the Trent on tarmac.

13 rider

Guru
Another weekend square gathering . Got max square up to 26*26 by ignoring the walking squares on right and top boarders to gathers squares top right and bottom left . Total tiles 2135 max cluster 1073

Good going dude! My max cluster has grown again to 1250ish....thinking of having a day's walking/driving to get some odd squares that I'd struggle to ride.

Top Bottom