Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wajc

Veteran
Unfortunately not, I'm usually careful to go beyond where I need to and wait for the GPS units to tell me I'm off course but this time I wasn't concentrating and just turned around thinking I'd done what was necessary. I'm sure I'll be back down in that direction again sometime - here it is in the grand scheme.

2017-10-23 (2).png

@wajc, how did you get the square where the rifle range near Beckingham is? Struggling with that one!

wajc

Veteran
2017-10-23 (2).png
I'm guessing you mean the one that I've marked with a star.

You need to turn off Coddington Lane on to Highfield Drive which is a reasonable surfaced road - obviously popular with fly-tippers though as about 3/4 of the way along I had to get off and walk past a variety of dumped items. You'll reach a gate, just climb over as from this point it is actually marked as a footpath on an OS map - https://www.bing.com is good to look at as it has and OS map layer. They fly red flags if an exercise is on and there is one just beyond the gate on the RHS IIRC - don't know whether this means there is no access at all or just take care. There was nothing going on when I was there. The footpath right of way carries straight on towards some buildings on a gravel track but then it takes a 90 degree left turn off the track along the edge of the field before a 90 degree right turn brings it back on to the track again. I ignored this small diversion and just carried on along the gravel track until I was sure I'd gone far enough
Just make sure you're dressed correctly ^_^

helikon_ghillie_digital_woodland_ALL_1.jpg

Last edited:
Wonderful, ta! It's been frustrating me as it is stopping my max cluster.....must edit the next route to Lincoln! Might be back with more questions, I love riding in Lincolnshire!

wajc

Veteran
Wonderful, ta! It's been frustrating me as it is stopping my max cluster.....must edit the next route to Lincoln! Might be back with more questions, I love riding in Lincolnshire!

Glad to be of help. Yes Lincolnshire is a great place to ride - I'm just to the east of Lincoln and have a huge area of quiet roads to play on with the Wolds being the highlight.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm thinking of signing u to Veloviewer to get square hunting next year. Does anyone know it it will give me the squares I have already covered over the past few years, or do I start with a blank canvas?

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
You up load up existing strava history so no you don't start with a blank canvas .
Cheers.

13 rider

Guru
Square up to 25*25 today was 24*24 then lost a couple of squares by opening rides in Vv and then finding out I hadn't riden into the square ( just missed ) so was back down to 22*22 but a couple of weekends and reriding the missing squares I'm a bit happier ^_^. Max cluster 949 target 1000 . Will take alot of work to increase max square now

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
My first weekend since signing up, and I found a square only 3 miles away which was stopping my 7x7 becoming 10x10. Solved that this morning on my metric half for the month, and according to the summary I'm at 10x10 with a max cluster (whatever that is) of 148, and 560 squares.
This is going to become somewhat addictive I think..

13 rider

Guru
My first weekend since signing up, and I found a square only 3 miles away which was stopping my 7x7 becoming 10x10. Solved that this morning on my metric half for the month, and according to the summary I'm at 10x10 with a max cluster (whatever that is) of 148, and 560 squares.
This is going to become somewhat addictive I think..
Very Addictive . Max cluster is the number of squares touching 3 other squares ( I think ) designed to help people living on the coast etc who came not expand the square in all directions

wajc

Veteran
Square up to 25*25 today was 24*24 then lost a couple of squares by opening rides in Vv and then finding out I hadn't riden into the square ( just missed ) so was back down to 22*22 but a couple of weekends and reriding the missing squares I'm a bit happier ^_^. Max cluster 949 target 1000 . Will take alot of work to increase max square now

Deleting your ride from Strava, then carrying out an update on Vv followed by a re-upload to Strava and a further update of Vv would have resolved this. Just don't click on the ride again ^_^

This has me wondering why Ben hasn't automatically processed a definitive tile list for all rides, rather than wait for someone to manually click on a ride and view it on Vv as it is more accurate than the tile list calculated using the default summary map line.

I'd rather have the most accurate picture of which tiles I've covered (I know things improved when the 100m buffer was removed and the resulting squareapocalypse) but currently only a few of my 800+ rides have had a definitive tile list calculated and it would take a long time for me to manually select each one to trigger a more accurate calculation. You can see which ones this has been done for by looking on the activities tab and filtering your listed rides by 'Tiles calculated'

Having been prompted by your post though, I've clicked on the ride I did today and was relieved to see that all the tiles I gained are still there. Gaining one of the tiles involved riding 800m down a road towards a farm that was clearly signposted 'Private Road' and 'CCTV in Use' at the start of it and had been troubling me for some time - phew!

13 rider

Guru
Deleting your ride from Strava, then carrying out an update on Vv followed by a re-upload to Strava and a further update of Vv would have resolved this. Just don't click on the ride again ^_^

This has me wondering why Ben hasn't automatically processed a definitive tile list for all rides, rather than wait for someone to manually click on a ride and view it on Vv as it is more accurate than the tile list calculated using the default summary map line.

I'd rather have the most accurate picture of which tiles I've covered (I know things improved when the 100m buffer was removed and the resulting squareapocalypse) but currently only a few of my 800+ rides have had a definitive tile list calculated and it would take a long time for me to manually select each one to trigger a more accurate calculation. You can see which ones this has been done for by looking on the activities tab and filtering your listed rides by 'Tiles calculated'

Having been prompted by your post though, I've clicked on the ride I did today and was relieved to see that all the tiles I gained are still there. Gaining one of the tiles involved riding 800m down a road towards a farm that was clearly signposted 'Private Road' and 'CCTV in Use' at the start of it and had been troubling me for some time - phew!
I had accidently clicked on the ride while browsing my squares and intially did not see If lost the squares. To fair I hadn't entered either square I'd lost so couldn't really complain now all ok thanks to a farm drive gets you to interesting places . Today I rode down a private road at the side of HMP Gartree

Effyb4

Veteran
My ride today increased my max square to 9x9 and I can see an easy square, only 4 miles from home, that will increase it to 10x10.

Top Bottom