Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PapaZita

Guru
Has anybody visited this square all the tracks into it are private, it looks like the next attempt might be round the river bank, but its rough and the public footpath stops before the square.
View attachment 424645

I’ve never been either. I assume the south east corner of the square can’t be accessed through Drax Abbey Farm? Otherwise, you might have to check out the nature reserve at the south west corner: https://www.drax.com/visit-us/visit-skylark-centre/. It seems to be open to the public every weekend and in addition to nature walks offers something called a “mound construction viewing platform”, which if it’s what I think I can see on the satellite view is well inside the square.

wajc

Veteran
Has anybody visited this square all the tracks into it are private, it looks like the next attempt might be round the river bank, but its rough and the public footpath stops before the square.

Looks a tricky square. I often use the strava heatmap to see where people have been (not the one on the Strava route planner but the one linked as it seems to show more)

https://www.strava.com/heatmap#7.00/-120.90000/38.36000/hot/all

upload_2018-8-15_20-49-36.png

A lot of people seemed to have been walking/riding along the river bank to the north and then headed directly south on what appears to be a farm track before stopping and turning round but that will get you far enough. If you filter by activity type it looks as if there has been more walkers/runners down there then cyclists.

Venod

Eh up
I’ve never been either. I assume the south east corner of the square can’t be accessed through Drax Abbey Farm? Otherwise, you might have to check out the nature reserve at the south west corner: https://www.drax.com/visit-us/visit-skylark-centre/. It seems to be open to the public every weekend and in addition to nature walks offers something called a “mound construction viewing platform”, which if it’s what I think I can see on the satellite view is well inside the square.
Yes a visit to the nature reserve looks the way to bag it, a lot of the square is in Drax PS grounds, I have been in the square numerous times when I did some work there, The Drax Abbey Farm route means passing through the farm on a private track, I got to the top of the track at the North of the square then chickened out going past the house, it had a deliverance feel about it.

Alan O

Über Member
They've had an OS map option for a very long time, but you couldn't overlay the coloured tiles on it until very recently - think this might have only been added in the past month or so.
Oh, it was just me being dumb - I hadn't even seen the pop-up list of map options! (Only been on it a month or so, which is maybe some excuse :whistle:)

Venod

Eh up
Looks a tricky square. I often use the strava heatmap to see where people have been (not the one on the Strava route planner but the one linked as it seems to show more)

Thanks @wajc that's a good tip.

Venod

Eh up
Thanks to @wajac and his heat map tip I bagged the square mentioned above, I had been to the North end of the track before but chickened out of going past the house, but the heat map indicated someone had been down.

Bagging this square gives me several more to bag to increase my maximum square, there was no point in going for them unless I got this one.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Me too we did the same bit around Ruddington . I chose to cycle back into the headwind :banghead:. 6 squares today to take the total to 3003 . Bagged the awakard Gotham moor lane from Ruddington by ignoring the no cycling sign :whistle: and a bit of grass footpath at the side of the railway

I went through Ruddington, Carlton was stupidly hilly, won't be going back there.

Top Bottom